Author Topic: HAPPY REUNION DAY!  (Read 6909 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
HAPPY REUNION DAY!
« on: June 24, 2006, 12:46:54 pm »
Today, JUNE 24TH, is the anniversary of THE REUNION in the SHORT STORY by ANNIE PROULX:

The fourth summer since Brokeback Mountain came on and in June Ennis had a general delivery letter from Jack Twist, the first sign of life in all that time.   

Friend this letter is a long time over due. Hope you get it. Heard you was in Riverton. Im coming thru on the 24th, thought Id stop and buy you a beer Drop me a line if you can, say if your there.   

The return address was Childress, Texas. Ennis wrote back, you bet, gave the Riverton address.

So the next morning, when they wake up from jouncing the bed in The Motel Siesta, is JUNE 25TH, my BIRTHDAY, as well as AnnMarie's and Giancarlo's.  Of course I was the only one of the three of us alive in 1963.  I turned 4 that day.

May Reunion Love fill all our hearts this weekend, and everyday.

Love,

Clarissa

P.S.  In the film, the reunion is in September. 

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: HAPPY REUNION DAY!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 12:56:39 pm »
Hmmmm...  I knew I felt a certain singular alignment of the stars pushing and pulling me around today.  Now I know why.

Happy Reunion Day to you too, EFM.  And early wishes for a VERY happy birthday to you, AnnMarie and Giancarlo tomorrow!

(By the way, my husband was born in 1959, too.  And my oldest brother.  Apparently, all the best people were.)
No more beans!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 01:47:45 pm »
Happy reunion day to you too, EFNM! (you too Barby girl)

I'm headed off to the Solstice Parade and Celebration downtown.

p.s.
Things are better today, Elle-we talked-he's okay.

Heathen

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 02:14:11 pm »
Do you suppose Annie, "the Author Almighty," as Meryl once dubbed her, chose the Feast of St. John the Baptist for the Reunion because Ennis loses his head when he sees Jack again after four years and that "thing" "grabs hold" of him?  ;D

Heat be damned, tonight I expect to smarten up in my best cowboy duds and head on out to raise a glass to our two much-loved cowboys. Guess I oughta watch the DVD 'fore I do.

(By the way, my husband was born in 1959, too.  And my oldest brother.  Apparently, all the best people were.)

And what about those of us born in 1958? Is that an effen problem?  ;)

A joyous Reunion Day to all true Brokies everywhere!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 02:21:31 pm »
Clarissa, you are as brilliant as last week's solstice to point this out... which almost makes me feel badly for teasing you a few moments ago in the Performance thread.... ALMOST   ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  xoxo Alec
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 02:53:55 pm by alec716 »
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 02:33:46 pm »
A very happy day in our sacred calendar of the Cult of BBM. What shall we do to celebrate? I'd like to watch that scene on my DVD for starters, since it's been MONTHS since I saw it.

Today I was walking with my soon-to-be-four-year-old niece in my arms, and she saw my necklace (which she's played with before) and said, "why do you wear this necklace with the two cowboy hats?"

I said, "because it reminds me of a story about two cowboys who loved each other very much and it's one of my favorite stories, so I wear this necklace to remember them." She asked if they wore cowboy hats and I said yes, they always did. Then she asked if I would read her the story, and I said that it was a story for grown ups to read, maybe too boring and long to read to her, but that I would tell her some of the story sometime. I know some of you have very young children and they have seen parts of the movie or you've told them about the story, so it would be good to get your advice (barb, elle, others?).

Happy Reunion Day to everyone in the world who holds this date near to their hearts, and thanks for reminding me Clarissa!

Yeehaw and whoowee!
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 03:11:25 pm »
Joyeuse St. Jean-Baptiste, à tous les (autres) Canadiens Français à l'écoute.

(Voici le drapeau franco-ontarien)

St Patrick's day may have it's followers, to the point of having the date (March 17th) labeled on virtually every calendar in North America, but I refuse to let this day go by without making a point of marking it as our cultural special day.

And to all true brokies out there, a very happy reunion day as well.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 11:09:35 pm »
I know some of you have very young children and they have seen parts of the movie or you've told them about the story, so it would be good to get your advice (barb, elle, others?).

Jenny, there is a thread somewhere from not too long ago where some of us moms were talking about what and how we talk/show BBM to our children.  What thread it is, I can't remember.  Barb, you were there, can you remember?

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 11:15:30 am »
So the next morning, when they wake up from jouncing the bed in The Motel Siesta, is JUNE 25TH, my BIRTHDAY, as well as AnnMarie's and Giancarlo's

Clarissa, I never realized this!  What a lovely thought that from now on I'll always remember when I awake on my birthday - much more pleasant than knowing I'm another year older!

Happy Birthday to us!!   ;D
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 07:04:07 pm »
Our Boys Be Blessed!  :-*

YEEHAW
Ich bin ein Brokie...