Author Topic: Jack's and Ennis' gaydar  (Read 19176 times)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Jack's and Ennis' gaydar
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2006, 09:13:50 am »
I wonder if our opinions about Jack and Ennis's initial feelings have something to do with our own intitial sex exdperiences...they certainly do mine. Until I was 15, whatever sexual feelings I had were sublimated, or expressed themselves in a nameless restlessness (I'm thinking Ennis), and I had no idea why adults engaged in this ridiculous exercise until someone...showed me (again, at 15). So, of course, to me Ennis's "you may be a sinner but I ain't yet had the opportunity" seems like a completely non-gay comment (however it may have been changed since script 4--i only have Jan. 2003 and the present film screenplay). Ennis was innocent, because..i was innocent. Anyone else?

I have always thought of the "sinner" dialogue as Ennis' eluding to his virginity … more specifically, his heterosexual virginity. IMO, Ennis had homosexual thoughts and desires. But I certainly don’t think that he expected what happened in TS1. So to make a short comment long …. I think we are saying something similar. Am I understanding you correctly? (i.e. this was not a homosexual comment).

As for our own sexual experiences coloring our opinions about Jack and Ennis .... I completely agree.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 10:29:30 pm »
bump!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2007, 09:05:52 am »
all I found was the thread and have not read a post yet---but if that opening scene wasn't gaydar I do not KNOW what gaydar is!!!!!
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2007, 11:50:01 pm »
I'm sort of wondering about one of the first lines out of Jack's mouth lately.  "Nice to know you" seems like a very every-day type of phrase.  A good-humored and casual way of greeting Ennis.  But could it imply more from the very beginning here?  Could this be more like Jack saying that he "knows' Ennis in that he immediately can sense a kindred spirit?  Or already "knows" or has a hunch (at least) that Ennis might be like he is?  There's a famous old (wonderful) essay by E.M. Forster that subtly seems to be about (in places) the ability of gay people to recognize one another "when they meet". 
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2007, 12:19:09 am »
It's possible Amanda---there was a script which had Jack--in the scene directly after Aguirre's office, in the bar--described as a RODEO HUSTLER <!!!yeah, :o I know!!! Isn't that insane?!?!? >.

Jack was not a virgin re male sex, that was pretty apparent, so maybe it was gaydar. I tend to think it was more like instant attraction, as evidenced by the HOLY SHIT he mouths under his hat after seeing Ennis for the first time. I related to that Holy Shit, it's exactly what I mumbled when meeting the guy I fell in love with. [ He and I were walking down West 8th Street a couple of days later at what, something like 3 Am>>> when a complete  lunatic wandered into our path claiming he was Louis Of France. This fellow took his clothes off and I fell on his jockstrap  as he ran naked down a Manhattan street yelling Le Guillotine, Le Guillotine! We both had LMAO-hysterics. Anyhow, that's when my stunned Holy Shit turned into love: it takes what it takes ROFLMAO]

IMO we DID get the best script, and IMHO all the ridiculous things like Jack as a RODEO HUSTLER <!!!!!!! jesus, help me!!!!>were put in by Shamus and taken out by Diana, which is why they had to shoot his hippy scene even after Ang, Diana, HL and JG knew  it wasn't going to be in the actual film.

They spent a week shooting a scene they KNEW wasn't going to be used: think about it.

I think we can infer placating him from this lol, i.e., shooting the scene because they took out almost all his dumbassed additions and then editing even the hippy scene  out...

chelseagirl

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2007, 08:59:37 am »
Would anyone d say that Randall's "gaydar" was working, on that night with Jack?

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2007, 09:07:47 am »
yes
i think it was

chelseagirl

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2007, 09:50:04 am »
Jack looked unsettled at the table, with Randall glances, discontented Lureen, motormouth La Shawn, he picked the lesser of the three evils, dancing with La Shawn. 

But the thought of starting a relationship with someone who approached him, must have been dizzying to Jack, when Randall approached him later.  Ennis must have come to his mind, and maybe Mexico just wasn't enough.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2007, 01:24:49 pm »
All I want to know Is how do you know if you have gaydar and is there an instruction manual?

I was like Ennis. My one and only experience took me by surprise. I didn't see it coming until his lips were planted on mine then I didn't know what to do!
Still don't!  ???
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2007, 04:58:26 pm »
All I want to know Is how do you know if you have gaydar and is there an instruction manual?

I was like Ennis. My one and only experience took me by surprise. I didn't see it coming until his lips were planted on mine then I didn't know what to do!
Still don't!  ???

hehehe Oh I know the feeling  ;)