Author Topic: Jack's and Ennis' gaydar  (Read 19162 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Jack's and Ennis' gaydar
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2007, 01:45:28 pm »
How do you know the difference between gaydar and wishful thinking? ???
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2007, 05:22:48 pm »
You know the difference because.

lol

because!!
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

moremojo

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2007, 06:12:52 pm »
Lee, personally I don't know the difference between gaydar and wishful thinking, which is why I have learned to make no assumptions about sexual orientation and let it be revealed by the other person themselves in some unambiguous way. Placing myself in contexts in which it is reasonable to assume that many others around me are also gay or bi, such as in a gay bar or bookstore, is about the only way I know of to interact with others and not fear that I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2007, 08:56:06 am »
Does gaydar just mean knowing someone is gay, or does is mean detecting they are gay and attracted to you (if you are gay too)?
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Scott6373

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 09:01:46 am »
Does gaydar just mean knowing someone is gay, or does is mean detecting they are gay and attracted to you (if you are gay too)?

"Gaydar" is a social myth...an urban legend so to speak.  Since the prime driving force in humans is self-preservation and reproduction, "gaydar" really boils down to the same intuition that heterosexual people have when they meet someone who represents a potential mate.

moremojo

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2007, 10:29:57 am »
"Gaydar" is a social myth...an urban legend so to speak.  Since the prime driving force in humans is self-preservation and reproduction, "gaydar" really boils down to the same intuition that heterosexual people have when they meet someone who represents a potential mate.
I'm not so sure if it's really so simple. I once worked with a woman (straight) who had exemplary "gaydar" (meaning she could sense the homosexuality of others). Within a few moments of talking to someone, she would get a strong sense of whether that person was or wasn't, and more times than not she would be proved right. She said she knew about me within seconds of meeting me, and also picked up on my friend, who worked in the same place as us at that time.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2007, 11:02:55 am »
I'm not so sure if it's really so simple. I once worked with a woman (straight) who had exemplary "gaydar" (meaning she could sense the homosexuality of others). Within a few moments of talking to someone, she would get a strong sense of whether that person was or wasn't, and more times than not she would be proved right. She said she knew about me within seconds of meeting me, and also picked up on my friend, who worked in the same place as us at that time.
maybe she was a physic? ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

moremojo

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2007, 11:30:22 am »
maybe she was a physic? ;D
I wonder about that myself! Her intuition was certainly uncanny. I know she had had a near-death experience many years before, and had a very spiritual outlook on people and life. I lost touch with her some time ago, and miss her.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2007, 12:01:32 pm »
I wonder about that myself! Her intuition was certainly uncanny. I know she had had a near-death experience many years before, and had a very spiritual outlook on people and life. I lost touch with her some time ago, and miss her.
Well, thats too bad that you have lost touch.
Would have been cool to rent her out and help the love lorn find true love! ;)

moremojo

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2007, 12:23:10 pm »
Would have been cool to rent her out and help the love lorn find true love! ;)
:laugh: Dang--missed opportunites all over the place!