Author Topic: Jake on SNL.....again!  (Read 1150 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Jake on SNL.....again!
« on: April 12, 2022, 04:38:55 pm »
So, Jake hosted SNL last weekend, but no one noticed.  Last time was 2007, with the infamous "gay cowboys" crack and Jake in drag singing from Dreamgirls. 

I kept waiting for him to pull his suit off to reveal.....something.  But, at least he sings.  I probably won't post the sketches because with one or two exceptions, they were uniformly BAD. 

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

(I don't know why it says "invalid youtube link", but it works.)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: Jake on SNL.....again!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 04:46:11 pm »
Here's the monologue from 2007 (most of them had been shut down; this German one works):

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 04:49:18 pm »
This was the only decent skit from the show; the rest are pretty lame.  This one is a great parody of Dick and Liz in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf":

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 02:49:48 pm »
I don't get it. Admittedly, either I've never seen WAoVW or I've only seen parts of it. I do vividly remember the Mad Magazine parody -- it was in the very first Mad Magazine I ever owned.

But what's with Jake's performance, specifically? Is he failing to do a good Richard Burton accent or did Richard Burton attempt an American accent in WAoVW? And what's with the kind of bumbling overacting? I know the movie was pretty melodramatic but wasn't it at least Richard Burton-level acted? (I once read something that listed RB as among the worst actors -- ALSO among the best, but prone to overacting, perhaps the way people might think of Al Pacino now).

As I (very vaguely) remember the plot, they kept referring to a son but it was later revealed they didn't have one. Is that why they were alcoholic? Was not having a baby considered that life-destroying back then?