Author Topic: Milk: After 30 Years, a Film Returns to a Harrowing Time in San Francisco  (Read 39349 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Milk: After 30 Years, a Film Returns to a Harrowing Time in San Francisco
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2008, 03:20:51 am »
Thanks for your insights, Paul.  You seem to have liked it less than I did, but then I've never seen the documentary.  The movie probably suffers from the comparison.

I am glad that Van Sant didn't direct "Brokeback."  It would have been a very different film.  It's incredible how just the right people were drawn together to make that film what it was, not the least of whom was Gustavo Santaolalla.  That music was so spare and intelligent and atmospheric; it really reflected Proulx's prose beautifully.  I agree that Elfman's score didn't fit "Milk" very well.  It kept jumping out at me instead of drawing me in even deeper.

The opera bits were also curious.  Clearly, "Tosca" must have been Harvey Milk's favorite opera.  Years ago I worked on the operatic version of Harvey's story, and I seem to remember some "Tosca" references in that, too.  The scene where Harvey is watching the death of Cavaradossi was meant, I guess, to foreshadow his own death.  Spoletta, who comes in at the climax, looked an awful lot like Dan White, which had to have been on purpose.  But I don't know why Van Sant had him looking at the marquee of the opera house with "Tosca" advertised on it as he was dying.  It just doesn't seem that important to bring up at that moment.

I couldn't agree more Meryl. Brokeback Mountain to me is that one movie where all the right things/people came together: the right director, the right actors, the right music, scenery, story etc.

Like this movie was 'blessed'.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

retropian

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2008, 05:29:19 am »
I saw the film tonight, the late night showing. I was glad to see a mixed crowd of gay and straight people, but the theater wasn't full as when BBM was showing. I think the positive reviews are deserved. It's a very good movie, but not a great one. Not as great as BBM. It's an important film that covers a time in the  history of gay rights that is astonishingly relevant today. I think overall it's effective and affecting. It tells Harvey's story in a straight forward unaffected manner, which allows the viewer access into the story of Harvey's life and personality without being distracted by any superfluous directorial attempts a "artiness". So props to G.V.S for that. Of course, because of the theme of the movie I couldn't help compare it to BBM. I view it as a complement to BBM. It's the flip side, the political movement that Jack and Ennis were unaware of or chose to ignore. Milk is prose and BBM is poetry.

(EDIT)
I forgot to say anything about the acting performances. All just spot on and committed. Sean Penn was perfect as Harvey. James Franco was the heart of love as Scotty. James Brolin brought a complex humanity to Dan White when he could have been portrayed as a cartoon cutout. I can see several potential and deserved Oscar noms.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:26:51 pm by retropian »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2008, 10:12:11 am »
Thanks for your insights, Paul.  You seem to have liked it less than I did, but then I've never seen the documentary.  The movie probably suffers from the comparison.

I think that's true, Meryl.  I couldn't help but compare the two.  If you don't know much about Milk's story going into it, it's probably a more enjoyable film, for sure.

The opera bits were also curious.  Clearly, "Tosca" must have been Harvey Milk's favorite opera.  Years ago I worked on the operatic version of Harvey's story, and I seem to remember some "Tosca" references in that, too.  The scene where Harvey is watching the death of Cavaradossi was meant, I guess, to foreshadow his own death.  Spoletta, who comes in at the climax, looked an awful lot like Dan White, which had to have been on purpose.  But I don't know why Van Sant had him looking at the marquee of the opera house with "Tosca" advertised on it as he was dying.  It just doesn't seem that important to bring up at that moment.

I had noticed Milk listening to opera in his apartment, and in the store, and heard "Tosca" and thought, "Oh, no, they're not."  But they did.  I'd call that an attempt at "artiness".   8)

Milk is prose and BBM is poetry.

Right on, retropian!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2008, 11:10:18 am »
Just FYI: Harvey Milk is today's features article on the main page of wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2008, 11:29:32 am »
Rest in Peace,

Harvey Milk

May 22, 1930 – November 27, 1978

"You gotta give 'em hope!"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2008, 11:36:37 am »
May I second that !

Love you Harvey Milk !

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2008, 02:04:54 pm »
...I've said elsewhere that I'm a big fan of the 1984 documentary "The Times of Harvey Milk".  "Milk" borrows heavily from the documentary, and follows a good chunk of its structure.  In fact, many instances of footage included in the documentary were simply recreated with actors.  I found myself thinking, why did "Milk" even have to be made?  To me, "Times" was sparer, less sentimental, and ultimately, more effective and more moving.  "Milk" does flesh out Harvey's life, and his motley inner circle.  But I found it too hero-worshipful.  I think the blame lies with the script.  Sean Penn does his best to inject some nuance and dimension that just isn't in the script.

I was thinking about this in the shower this morning (go figure!), and it occurs to me that one reason it's good the biopic was made, despite some faults, is that the big names like Sean Penn, James Franco, James Brolin will draw a (hopefully) wider audience from a (again hopefully) different demographic than the documentary did.  In addition, twenty-plus years later it's good that the material be revisited even though the documentary will likely always stand as the definitive film on Harvey Milk.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

retropian

« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2008, 09:31:09 pm »
I was thinking about this in the shower this morning (go figure!), and it occurs to me that one reason it's good the biopic was made, despite some faults, is that the big names like Sean Penn, James Franco, James Brolin will draw a (hopefully) wider audience from a (again hopefully) different demographic than the documentary did.  In addition, twenty-plus years later it's good that the material be revisited even though the documentary will likely always stand as the definitive film on Harvey Milk.

I too hope it reaches a wide audience. Especially considering it's relevance to today's world. It saddens me to know that the people who should see it, are the very ones who will refuse.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2008, 08:05:08 pm »

So, I've seen 'Milk.'

First, I must say, the actors are first rate. Sean Penn is wonderful, James Franco is a love.

The movie, well--Van Sant did manage to transmit a great deal of information and package it into 128 minutes. But--as retopian said, 'Milk'  is prose, not poetry.

But--as retopian ALSO said--one hopes the movie will reach a wide audience.

Well, good. We need it. It may not be a great film, but it is a good film, a worthy film.

Next to last: the most evocative (and scary) character was not Josh Brolin as Dan White, but the real-life Anita Bryant in full-color documentary footage. Attractive, charasmatic, talented--and utterly dangerous. Van Sant was wonderful, at least, in cleverly using the important footage, and inserting it at the right points. Good job!

Finally: the last image, just before the final credits, the silent, laughing Harvey Milk, himself. It was then tears sprung out from my eyes.

We are all in his debt--straight and gay.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

retropian

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2008, 08:53:05 pm »
So, I've seen 'Milk.'

First, I must say, the actors are first rate. Sean Penn is wonderful, James Franco is a love.

The movie, well--Van Sant did manage to transmit a great deal of information and package it into 128 minutes. But--as retopian said, 'Milk'  is prose, not poetry.

But--as retopian ALSO said--one hopes the movie will reach a wide audience.

Well, good. We need it. It may not be a great film, but it is a good film, a worthy film.

Next to last: the most evocative (and scary) character was not Josh Brolin as Dan White, but the real-life Anita Bryant in full-color documentary footage. Attractive, charasmatic, talented--and utterly dangerous. Van Sant was wonderful, at least, in cleverly using the important footage, and inserting it at the right points. Good job!

Finally: the last image, just before the final credits, the silent, laughing Harvey Milk, himself. It was then tears sprung out from my eyes.

We are all in his debt--straight and gay.

Pretty much my reaction to the film, definitely worthy. A worthy film, a worthy tribute to Harvey. And yes, Dan White was not the scariest character, his portrayal by Josh Brolin was nuanced and one had a certain sympathy for his frustrations. It is Anita Bryant who was the face of evil in this film. She was and remains a moral monstrosity.