Author Topic: Milk: After 30 Years, a Film Returns to a Harrowing Time in San Francisco  (Read 39311 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Milk: After 30 Years, a Film Returns to a Harrowing Time in San Francisco
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2008, 06:24:09 pm »

Thank you so much, Meryl and Kerry--I'm certainly learning a lot myself! I first received the SF Chronicle article about Danny Nicoletta from my friend Judy in San Francisco.

It's more than interesting to me that Danny is 53; Judy and I are both 54 years old, about two months apart, and we first met when she first moved to New York in 1979. She is a photographer, graphic designer, and all-around genius; she moved back to SF, then again to NY, then finally back to SF in the late Nineties.

Anyway, after nearly thirty years friendship, I never knew about the following until Judy's note accompanied the emailed Chronicle article:

I'm waiting to see "Milk" with a couple of friends... I bet the Castro Theater audience will be quite magical. Will give a full report!  I'm particularly interested in Danny Nicoletta, the young lad who worked at the camera shop. We used to discuss photography all the time back in 1975. He was such a sweet guy. Still is, it seems.

How about that!

In re: Ciao

The film opens on Friday, December 5, at the Manhattan's Landmark Sunshine Cinema on Houston (that's HOW-ston!) Street--I'll be there!

Thanks again!
 :)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2009, 11:26:10 pm »
Milk, now is more known?

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2009, 05:34:19 pm »
The opera bits were also curious.  Clearly, "Tosca" must have been Harvey Milk's favorite opera.  Years ago I worked on the operatic version of Harvey's story, and I seem to remember some "Tosca" references in that, too.  The scene where Harvey is watching the death of Cavaradossi was meant, I guess, to foreshadow his own death.  Spoletta, who comes in at the climax, looked an awful lot like Dan White, which had to have been on purpose.  But I don't know why Van Sant had him looking at the marquee of the opera house with "Tosca" advertised on it as he was dying.  It just doesn't seem that important to bring up at that moment.

I've just come back home after seeing "Milk" (Yes, good films take for ever to premiere over here when they aren't of the TDK type) and I've been reading through this thread, getting some insight and more knowledge than the film gave me. Thank you all who have posted for that.

I took the references to Tosca to be a kind of relatively heavy-handed referback to something that occurs early on in the film, when someone (The Franco character?) ribs Milk about his love for opera and Milk says he likes opera because "it's larger than life" etc. So when Milk watches the death of Cavaradossi and Tosca, it's a foreshadowing - and when he watches the Tosca posters as he dies it's going fulll circle into making the statement that his life was larger than life, just like opera. So it makes perfect sense that there is an opera about him. I didn't know that.

I liked the film, very well acted and all.... I didn't quite understand all that happened in Milk's personal life and I guess that was downplayed on purpose because it was Milk the activist, organizer and politician who was the focus of the film. But I got distracted by my wondering about what happened to his partner who suddenly wasn't there, and what was the issue with the new guy,  etc. and that took focus away from what actually happened on screen for me, so I think that downplaying backfired. Or maybe I'm just slow. I didn't know anything in-depth about Harvey Milk at all before I went to see the film, I just had some very general info.)

I guess that lack of knowledge is the reason for my immediate reaction to the film; - it made me very sad. Sad for the tragic assassination. Sad to see that whole ugly prejudiced midieval mess with the Proposition 6, though they eventually managed to defeat it. Sad to think of Prop 8 and how far there still is to go after these many years. And sad because of the time this took place... late 70's. How many of the guys walking in that Milk mourning parade at the end of the film did not live to see the mid-80's/late 80's? I kept thinking they had some truly horrible and difficult years ahead, all bigots aside, and.... the sum of all this, yep it made me very sad.

But I thought Sean Penn did an outstanding job. So this time, that Oscar was deserved.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2009, 06:41:13 pm »
I took the references to Tosca to be a kind of relatively heavy-handed referback to something that occurs early on in the film, when someone (The Franco character?) ribs Milk about his love for opera and Milk says he likes opera because "it's larger than life" etc. So when Milk watches the death of Cavaradossi and Tosca, it's a foreshadowing - and when he watches the Tosca posters as he dies it's going fulll circle into making the statement that his life was larger than life, just like opera. So it makes perfect sense that there is an opera about him. I didn't know that.

Okay, I'll buy that.  Good thinking!  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Artiste

More please!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
I saw MILK finally a couple of nights ago and thought it was quite amazing.  Sean Penn did a fabulous job.  What an fabulous actor.  To be honest, he remind(ed) me of Heath Ledger in the sense that Sean Penn became Harvey Milk, similar to Heath and Ennis Del Mar!  I did not think Sean Penn was visible whatsoever.

I saw it in Jacksonville, FL and I am happy to report a relatively full theater with a mixed crowd.  I think that Sean Penn's Oscar is enticing people to see the film who would not ordinarily.  And to me, that is a good thing.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Artiste

Merci beaucoup Lynne!

What a surprising post!

I love it!

Tell us more... please.

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
I just saw in my Netflix account that MILK is being released as a DVD on 3/10/2009; I have added it to the forum calendar.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Artiste

Merci Lynne!

That is good news!

I look forward to getting such!

Thanks,
au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://gawker.com/5167491/overworked-james-franco-sleeping-his-way-through-grad-school

Hard workers
Overworked James Franco Sleeping His Way
Through Grad School

By Richard, 1:36 PM on Tue Mar 10 2009, 20,761 views

How does James Franco manage to take classes at both NYU and Columbia while penning a book while keeping his acting career going? Evidently only with lots of naps.

Some enterprising young student took a picture of the Milk  star and writing scholar dozing during at lecture at Columbia and sent it to TMZ,  perhaps for a pretty fee. Franco was also Tweeted about while he slept out in the open in Bobst library at NYU, where he's also studying. So he's sleeping at both schools! Oh James. What would Lindsay think? [Character Lindsay Weir in the television series Freaks and Geeks was played by Brokeback Mountain's Linda Cardellini]
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"