Author Topic: question for female fanfiction writers.  (Read 3735 times)

retropian

question for female fanfiction writers.
« on: October 26, 2008, 02:14:21 am »
In the past few months I've been playing catchup reading some really good fanfictions. Most of these have been written by women. I find it fascinating that there is so much ff writing about a pair of gay cowboys. I know there is alot of other ff that deals with other gay characters too, also written predominately by women. So I'm curious and have some questions.

What is it that motivates you to write BBM fanfiction? Have you ever previously been interested in what happens in gay male relationships?(I don't mean just physically) Have you written non-BBM gay oriented FF?

I have to add too, that I really appreciate how so many women BBM-ff writers are able to capture and express emotions. In many stories the emotions that Jack and/or Ennis are experiencing when they are making love are so wonderfully expressed. That really gets to me, the way sex is an outward manifestation of love. How the emotional passion these two characters is blended with the physical.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 04:11:06 am by retropian »

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: question for female fanfiction writers.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 02:15:18 pm »
In the past few months I've been playing catchup reading some really good fanfictions. Most of these have been written by women. I find it fascinating that there is so much ff writing about a pair of gay cowboys. I know there is alot of other ff that deals with other gay characters too, also written predominately by women. So I'm curious and have some questions.

What is it that motivates you to write BBM fanfiction? Have you ever previously been interested in what happens in gay male relationships?(I don't mean just physically) Have you written non-BBM gay oriented FF?

I have to add too, that I really appreciate how so many women BBM-ff writers are able to capture and express emotions. In many stories the emotions that Jack and/or Ennis are experiencing when they are making love are so wonderfully expressed. That really gets to me, the way sex is an outward manifestation of love. How the emotional passion these two characters is blended with the physical.

I write m/m fanfiction in at least two fan worlds - have 2 stories going based on BBM (but in alternate universes).  I've always been interested in gay male relationships.  They just tend to be fascinating to me because of the dynamics, so different from male/female or f/f relationships.  In m/f fanfiction, there is always the running undercurrent of domesticity, the soap opera dramas of pregnancy, children, marriage, family relations, all of which are extremely uninteresting to me.  While gay men and women can also be involved in these things, obviously, most of the fanfiction I prefer and write doesn't deal with them

e.g. they're knights well met while fighting the crusades, two monks, two soldiers, etc. 

retropian

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 07:04:41 pm »
I write m/m fanfiction in at least two fan worlds - have 2 stories going based on BBM (but in alternate universes).  I've always been interested in gay male relationships.  They just tend to be fascinating to me because of the dynamics, so different from male/female or f/f relationships.  In m/f fanfiction, there is always the running undercurrent of domesticity, the soap opera dramas of pregnancy, children, marriage, family relations, all of which are extremely uninteresting to me.  While gay men and women can also be involved in these things, obviously, most of the fanfiction I prefer and write doesn't deal with them

e.g. they're knights well met while fighting the crusades, two monks, two soldiers, etc. 

Interesting. I suppose most women are drawn to the typical m/f stories because they identify with, or fantasize being the female protagonist, hence the long standing popularity of tradition m/f romance novels. So, women ff writers, who don't have a female protagonist (usually m/f fiction/romance written by women has the focus on the female character. The story us usually about her experience) but a male one i.e. Jack or Ennis fascinates me. What amazes me too, is that the male experience is captured so well by female writers.  So are these authors in part, identifying with their gay male characters?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 09:03:24 pm »
Interesting. I suppose most women are drawn to the typical m/f stories because they identify with, or fantasize being the female protagonist, hence the long standing popularity of tradition m/f romance novels. So, women ff writers, who don't have a female protagonist (usually m/f fiction/romance written by women has the focus on the female character. The story us usually about her experience) but a male one i.e. Jack or Ennis fascinates me. What amazes me too, is that the male experience is captured so well by female writers.  So are these authors in part, identifying with their gay male characters?

I would suppose some do.  But I don't believe I do.  What I like are the characters and why I write m/m ff is because I want to put these characters in different times/places/situations and see what they would do in their new situations based on the personalities that we already know.

e.g.   My Ennis in another world/time/place doesn't suddenly become a Chatty Cathy, expounding at length about his feelings and giving out passionate declarations about love.  He's pretty much who he already is, but for different or perhaps similar reasons.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:05:47 am »
I wrote several book length stories about bisexual male characters before writing in the BBM fan fic universe.  I think part of the motivation for women writing about men in a relationship is the interest in MEN, primarily, and attraction to men.  At least, for me it is.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:35:58 pm »
I'd have to agree with Louise; at least for me, I can identify with a man's attraction to another man, since I have felt it too, as men and women, we've both loved men emotionally and physically.  While it may not be exactly the same for everyone, in my own naive way I feel we love, and can all relate in some way.  I've always found m/m relationships appealing.  They are beautiful!  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love