Author Topic: Someone who knows Oscars please HELP!!!  (Read 6306 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Someone who knows Oscars please HELP!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 12:34:02 am »
Yes.  Because every member of the Academy gets to vote for Best Picture.  Period.  And yes, he'd still get to nominate in those other categories.  And I still think everybody gets to *vote* in all the categories, too, but maybe I'm wrong on that particular point.

Yep I know that...every member of the AMPAS gets to vote for Best Picture regardless of your occupation...

HOWEVER...only actors get to vote for Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress!  And only directors get to vote for Best Director...and writers for Best Screenplay(s) etc...

The smaller categories are only open to those whom has won in those categories...so Ang Lee can now vote for Best Director and Best Picture but cannot vote for Best Actor...he didn't win an acting Oscar...therefore he doesn't have that voting power...

Make sense?  I know that for sure...but my only question was because Jackson won for Best Screenplay AND Best Director...does he get to vote in both those categories...and then of course Best Picture (which I already know he gets to vote in)....

I should have been more clear...sorry..

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 10:16:16 am »
Yep I know that...every member of the AMPAS gets to vote for Best Picture regardless of your occupation...

HOWEVER...only actors get to vote for Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress!  And only directors get to vote for Best Director...and writers for Best Screenplay(s) etc...

The smaller categories are only open to those whom has won in those categories...so Ang Lee can now vote for Best Director and Best Picture but cannot vote for Best Actor...he didn't win an acting Oscar...therefore he doesn't have that voting power...

Make sense?  I know that for sure...but my only question was because Jackson won for Best Screenplay AND Best Director...does he get to vote in both those categories...and then of course Best Picture (which I already know he gets to vote in)....

I should have been more clear...sorry..

I don't see why he wouldn't get to vote in both categories if he's won in both.  But those aren't what I'd consider "smaller categories," either, so what does it matter whether he's won or not?  Doesn't everyone in the Academy get to vote, once the nominations are in, in these categories?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 10:26:52 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 10:19:01 am »
Tell you what - here's a link to all the rules, at least for the most recent ones (the 78th).  Gotta love Google.  :)

http://www.oscars.org/78academyawards/rules/rule05.html

For what it's worth, number 7 under Rule 6 (Acting Awards) says this:

"7. Final voting for the Acting Awards shall be restricted to active and life Academy members."

In other words, everyone gets to vote for the acting awards once the nominations are in - doesn't matter if they've won anything, let alone that particular award.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 10:23:33 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 10:37:37 am »
In other words, everyone gets to vote for the acting awards once the nominations are in - doesn't matter if they've won anything, let alone that particular award.

But of course you usually have to have won or be nominated for something in order to be invited as an Academy member...and I didn't mean any particular award...I just meant in general...

Thanks for your help Barb...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 10:42:30 am »
But of course you usually have to have won or be nominated for something in order to be invited as an Academy member...and I didn't mean any particular award...I just meant in general...

Thanks for your help Barb...

I remember reading shortly after the latest awards that getting *nominated* gave you an automatic membership, but that you could also be invited by active members.  Hence the reason why Sarah Jessica Bleeding Parker (who admitted she hadn't seen any of the nominees before voting) is a member.  I'm guessing either Matthew Broderick or some close friend has been nominated and so "invited" her.  Blech.

And you're welcome.  :)
No more beans!