Author Topic: The Filming of the Two Leads  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
The Filming of the Two Leads
« on: June 29, 2006, 03:42:01 am »

Hello all,

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed but I was going through Saucy's thread about when Jack falls in love and then lets Ennis go and it got to the part about the 3 similar shots of Jack (watching Ennis ride off after they have sex & then again after the fireside dozy embrace and as Ennis drives away at the end) and it got me thinking.

Someone may have a very simple explanation for it, but I have always noticed that at moments that dictate a crucial juncture in their relationship, Ennis is very frequently shot from behind and Jack is shown either in profile or front on.

If anybody can venture an explanation, that'd be great.  ;D
Chut up!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The Filming of the Two Leads
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:06:29 am »
That's an interesting point, and one I've not thought of. However, I wonder if you looked for them, if you could come up with just as many important moments when they aren't filmed that way?

I admit I'm shooting from the hip here without having read saucy's post, but the first thing that popped into my head is that aren't they both in profile when Ennis tells Jack that all those things Ennis doesn't know might get Jack killed if Ennis comes to know them? Or, maybe that shot sticks with me because it's filmed differently? And we see them both full front when Jack comes out of the tent and Ennis is getting ready to go back to the sheep after TS1.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.