Author Topic: What Scene Could have been left out  (Read 12273 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
What Scene Could have been left out
« on: June 29, 2006, 09:50:41 am »
There are a couple of scenes in the movie which i think were irrelevant, the one i think the most irrelevant was the fireworks scene....

If ive missed any out, let me know what one you dont like.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

slayers_creek_oth

Re: What Scene Could have been left out
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 10:04:42 am »
I gotta say that it wouldn't be complete without the whole thing....all scenes intact...

But if I HAD to choose I would probably also pick the firework scene...

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 06:58:27 pm »
Okay, I voted for Fireworks scene, but I have to qualify that carefully. In terms of propelling the narrative and developing the characters, I think that scene has less relevance than the other scenes listed. But the scene is still important, both thematically and aesthetically. I loathe violence, but I have to admit I love Ennis in this scene (when do I not love Ennis?), and some of the scene's resonance is mysterious. It's hard to articulate why it moves me, but move me it does--I wouldn't want the film to lack any of the elements we all know and love.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:11:10 pm by moremojo »

Offline David

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 07:16:49 pm »
None of the Above!

I think all of those scenes were relevant.     BUT !   you missed the scene I would have omitted.   The scene with Cassie talking to Alma Jr.   It was Ok, but my least favorite in the movie.

The Fireworks scene is important for a few reasons.   It sets the timeline for one.  We know it is 1966 by the announcement.   We see that Ennis and Alma do go out and do stuff.   Something that Ennis doesn't want to do with her after the reunion with Jack.    And it shows how Ennis uses violence to release his pent up frustrations. 

So i think all of the choices you listed are important scenes.     

I need less Cassie and more Jack!    LOL.   
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 09:41:57 pm by DavidinHartford »

vkm91941

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 08:13:53 pm »
I ditch the whole Cassie story arc, didn't work for me at all, and it's not from the original story.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 09:40:05 pm »
Yeah, me too.....you know i was going to put the Cassie scenes in the poll, but i thought i would be the only one that got bored with it, even though i can see where it played its part in the movie.....showing that Ennis tried to have a relationship with a woman again, but he didnt really care one way or another......and in fact, he did to Cassie what he did to Jack in a way....never committing, putting other things first....

Lets face it, he was juggling with his own sexuality, and how painful that must be...in my opinion that would be worse than being gay and hiding in the closet for fear of rejection, so my heart goes out to those out there who are juggling.

Anyway, for what its worth, I still think the fireworks scene was a waste of time that could have been spent on another love scene or kiss....matter of fact, I would have preferred if the whole movie was love scenes and kissing....but I know that would not have made up all the story, but i know it would have been damn good watching.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Midnight24

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Miss Princess
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 09:55:11 pm »
I agree with the fireworks scene, it could have been used for something else (possibly more Jack/Ennis lovin  :laugh:) But I think all parts of the movie or essential and there are very very very few I would actually take out (probably only one scene and that would be the Cassie and Alma Jr. one.)
~*One kiss...and bam...you're mine*~
Total and Complete Jake Lover!!!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 09:55:48 pm »
I'd ditch the fireworks scene.  While very cinematic, we didn't need to know what year it was from that scene, since the rodeo scene immediately after also states the year.  Both scenes were a mistake, considering that building the scene where Jack met Lureen - also not part of the story - messed up the timeline anyway and left open the possibility Lureen was pregnant at the time she met Jack.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 03:22:56 pm »
I wouldn't change a single cotton-pickin' thing.  But if I had to, I'd nix Old Man Twist spitting into that cup.  As appropriate and fitting as it is figuratively speaking, I have to look away every time 'cause it's just so damn gross.
No more beans!

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 03:59:10 pm »
**Scratches head**

I didn't vote, because I think all these scenes are necessary, or at least relevant, to the plot & story & character arc.

If I had to point to one scene I really think should be removed, it'd be the "pissant /used to ride bulls" scene. I still can't see what that one is supposed to bring to the telling of the tale at all.