Author Topic: Cowboy Cosmology  (Read 529130 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cowboy Wayne
« Reply #230 on: November 20, 2006, 05:53:40 pm »
but they got giant statues
:laugh:   What? No pix?!?    ;D

Ah - Here we go!      :)

When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #231 on: December 14, 2006, 05:21:47 pm »
Suddenly there was that kind of tipping moment where it was not cool to tell a homophobic Brokeback joke. Suddenly you had to tell nice jokes or do nice parodies or celebrate [the movie] because there was no one to argue with. I really think there is a very powerful aspect to the things you don't notice. You don't notice when the guy at the water cooler pauses and thinks, “I better not tell this joke because I realize that a lot of people have seen this movie and seem to like it, and maybe it's not safe for me to push it here.”

- James Shamus
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

injest

« Reply #232 on: December 14, 2006, 08:12:02 pm »
Wayne thank you for posting that...it is the first time I have seen a really indepth conversation about the Oscar night loss...very cool.

I wish the tipping point had come a bit sooner though.

I HAVE noticed that people down here are using the term Brokeback in everyday conversation. and not in a derogatory way either...I mean not sneering...

like when people see that picture of the stallion sniffing the geldings behind....they say they are going Brokeback on us...

ok maybe that doesn't read right....but it seems less homophobic than what I am used to hearing...the tone I mean

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #233 on: December 15, 2006, 11:44:36 am »
Like: "You know I ain't queer"

"Yeah, but your Brokeback as hell." :o
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Wayne

« Reply #234 on: December 15, 2006, 11:45:40 am »
 :D :laugh:    I like that!  What's the point of being gay if you can't have a little fun with it eh?!?      :laugh:

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #235 on: December 15, 2006, 11:58:51 am »
Indeed, that is progress. being gay needent been all serious and stuff.  :-*
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Wayne

« Reply #236 on: December 19, 2006, 01:02:05 pm »
 :'(    The European Union and Cowboy Wayne oppose the death penalty in all cases and under all circumstances.

These people went to Libya to help children. Libya has had them on death row for 7 years.

Firing Squad

The defendants were first sentenced in Benghazi in 2004 to face a firing squad. The Benghazi court rejected testimony from Luc Montagnier, the French researcher who first isolated HIV, and from Swiss and Italian scientists. The scientists said the infection started before the nurses worked there.

The Tripoli court refused to allow defense witnesses to testify.

A Libyan court sentenced five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor to death on Tuesday

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 01:09:52 pm by wdj »

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #237 on: December 19, 2006, 01:53:44 pm »
 :D    Gah!

The most famous examples of Cargo Cult behavior have been the airstrips, airports, and radios made out of coconuts and straw. The cult members built them in the belief that the structures would attract transport aircraft full of cargo. Believers stage "drills" and "marches" with twigs for rifles and military-style insignia and "USA" painted on their bodies to make them look like soldiers.

The cargo cult has been used as an analogy to describe certain phenomena in the First World, particularly in the area of business. After any substantial commercial success—whether it is a new model of car, a vacuum cleaner, a toy or a motion picture—there typically arise imitators who produce superficial copies of the original, but with none of the original's substance.

The term is perhaps best known because of a speech by physicist Richard Feynman at a Caltech commencement called cargo cult science, which became a chapter in the book Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!. In the speech, Feynman pointed out that cargo cultists create all the appearance of an airport right down to headsets with bamboo "antennas", yet the airplanes don't come. Feynman argued that some scientists often produce studies with all the trappings of real science, but which are nonetheless pseudoscience and unworthy of either respect or support.

Don

injest

« Reply #238 on: December 19, 2006, 07:25:27 pm »
:'(    The European Union and Cowboy Wayne oppose the death penalty in all cases and under all circumstances.

These people went to Libya to help children. Libya has had them on death row for 7 years.

Firing Squad

The defendants were first sentenced in Benghazi in 2004 to face a firing squad. The Benghazi court rejected testimony from Luc Montagnier, the French researcher who first isolated HIV, and from Swiss and Italian scientists. The scientists said the infection started before the nurses worked there.

The Tripoli court refused to allow defense witnesses to testify.

A Libyan court sentenced five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor to death on Tuesday

and the Bulgarian Prime Minister can only say he is disappointed??!

Bulgaria condemned death sentences imposed by a Libyan court on Tuesday against five of its nationals and a Palestinian doctor.

Foreign Minister Ivailo Kalfin called the decision "deeply disappointing."

I think this is one case where a little stronger language is needed!  >:(

ridiculous...is Lybia living in the dark ages??

injest

« Reply #239 on: December 19, 2006, 07:34:27 pm »
:D    Gah!

The most famous examples of Cargo Cult behavior have been the airstrips, airports, and radios made out of coconuts and straw. The cult members built them in the belief that the structures would attract transport aircraft full of cargo. Believers stage "drills" and "marches" with twigs for rifles and military-style insignia and "USA" painted on their bodies to make them look like soldiers.

The cargo cult has been used as an analogy to describe certain phenomena in the First World, particularly in the area of business. After any substantial commercial success—whether it is a new model of car, a vacuum cleaner, a toy or a motion picture—there typically arise imitators who produce superficial copies of the original, but with none of the original's substance.

The term is perhaps best known because of a speech by physicist Richard Feynman at a Caltech commencement called cargo cult science, which became a chapter in the book Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!. In the speech, Feynman pointed out that cargo cultists create all the appearance of an airport right down to headsets with bamboo "antennas", yet the airplanes don't come. Feynman argued that some scientists often produce studies with all the trappings of real science, but which are nonetheless pseudoscience and unworthy of either respect or support.

this is amazing...I had never heard of this...I mean I know about the joke about someone dropping a coke bottle out of a plane and starting a new religion...but that people these days still do this kind of thing?? You would think we had gotten farther up the evolutionary ladder than that...

(of course I am not saying I understand what you are saying about Feynman??) I think I am missing something...you have to type R   E   A   L slow for me...but I would like it if you would!!  :)