Author Topic: Cowboy Cosmology  (Read 529345 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cowboy Wayne
« Reply #240 on: December 19, 2006, 09:13:54 pm »
 ;D    Well, the part about Feynman was all quoted from the Wikipedia entry on Cargo cults, but it may be worth taking a skeptical position - if briefly - for all beliefs and habits.

I love the illustration of how tradition can sometimes retain the wrong part of an action - like hoping for a cargo delivery because you're talking into a wooden box shaped like a walkie-talkie that has no electronics inside. You saw somebody get a cargo delivery by doing that, it worked once, so why shouldn't it work again.

I mean, religion, health, science ... sometimes the test is whether it's TRUE, sometimes it's whether it works, sometimes the test is whether it makes life better, sometimes there is no test.

But we shouldn't confuse things that are subjected to one kind of test, e.g., scientific truth, with things that have been subjected to a different test, e.g., bringing fulfilment into life like religion.

Maybe that's getting onto a different topic. Anyhow that's what I'm thinking about now!   ::) :laugh: :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 09:19:06 pm by wdj »
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #241 on: December 19, 2006, 09:16:22 pm »
ridiculous...is Lybia living in the dark ages??
I may be wrong, but my impression is Libya is using them as extortion, asking for money in exchange for their release. Actually that would just be kidnapping and threatening murder I guess.

It's horrible that they have been in jail for 7 years already. You can't give that back, even if they were released (and it looks more likely that they will be executed).
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

injest

« Reply #242 on: December 20, 2006, 08:27:16 am »
;D    Well, the part about Feynman was all quoted from the Wikipedia entry on Cargo cults, but it may be worth taking a skeptical position - if briefly - for all beliefs and habits.

I love the illustration of how tradition can sometimes retain the wrong part of an action - like hoping for a cargo delivery because you're talking into a wooden box shaped like a walkie-talkie that has no electronics inside. You saw somebody get a cargo delivery by doing that, it worked once, so why shouldn't it work again.

I mean, religion, health, science ... sometimes the test is whether it's TRUE, sometimes it's whether it works, sometimes the test is whether it makes life better, sometimes there is no test.

But we shouldn't confuse things that are subjected to one kind of test, e.g., scientific truth, with things that have been subjected to a different test, e.g., bringing fulfilment into life like religion.

Maybe that's getting onto a different topic. Anyhow that's what I'm thinking about now!   ::) :laugh: :D

there is a man down here...havent seen him in a while; that has a little public access show where he tries to debunk evolution...it is pitiful on one level and on another it makes me angry.  As if his belief in God will be stronger if he can just convince us that evolution is a fallacy...

I never could understand that....how can what I believe affect what YOU believe? If his faith was really as strong as he claims then it wouldn't matter to him that other people believe in evolution.

and the other thing...99% of the people that are against evolution don't even understand it...you hear them say all the time that "evolution means we descended from apes" and "if we descended from apes why are there still apes?" well evolution DOESN"T say we descended from apes....it says we AND apes had a common ancestor...

which if you think about it is true for people that believe in creationism..according to them,we all descended from God!! :laugh: :laugh: ::)

as you say....confusing things...different tests for different ideas..

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #243 on: December 20, 2006, 12:01:33 pm »
Law, Wayne I am sorry about your ears!

(I know me and Lynne done burnt them plumb off!) ;D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Wayne

« Reply #244 on: December 20, 2006, 01:53:23 pm »
Law, Wayne I am sorry about your ears!

(I know me and Lynne done burnt them plumb off!) ;D
Ouch!     ;D   How y'all doing?

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #245 on: December 22, 2006, 02:27:28 pm »
I am needing to get out of this office before the candy gods return with more sugar for my body to process.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Wayne

« Reply #246 on: December 24, 2006, 11:34:21 pm »
Just got back from a nice weekend with Mom in South Carolina. We went to her church this morning. Their church also hosts a Brazilian church who did some Christmas music today - really wonderful!  They sang a couple of Christmas songs in Portuguese and one of the boys played violin. When they started singing, I didn't know it was going to be IN PORTUGUESE!!!    :D :D    I mean, so heartwarming. The little Baptist church in South Carolina that I grew up in has been hosting a church for Brazilian expats for years.

And the preacher preached about Nathan's message to David: This poor guy just had a half-acre vineyard and the rich guy with hundreds of acres stole it from him. David the rich and poweful king says how awful!  Nathan says IT'S YOU YOU JERK!

And the preacher says, can you imagine that happening in our country, in the White House, today?

I confess, I know pride is a sin, but I feel pride in my little church...      :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 12:28:40 pm by wdj »

Don

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
    • myspace
« Reply #247 on: December 24, 2006, 11:51:40 pm »
its great that you found one thatll accept you?  i wish i could find one in my area i might start attending   services again
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline Wayne

Don

Offline Andrew

« Reply #249 on: December 26, 2006, 01:00:51 pm »
With sides like that, I guess folks don't need a middle any more.