Author Topic: "Somebody New" and Sequel "Force of Nature" (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair)  (Read 188123 times)

Offline plaguerat

• Don't Say Much
Re: "Somebody New" and Sequel "Force of Nature" (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair)
« Reply #200 on: November 13, 2014, 06:25:51 pm »
i've been wanting to read these fanfics for years but wasn't able to find them  :o

If someone could send them to me I would be ever so grateful!       [email protected]

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2017, 04:02:41 am »
Shiiiieeet.

"Somebody new" was an incredible story. I don't have the slightest idea how many exclamation marks or smilies to put or how to write a justified feedback for this story. So many feelings steered up, couldn't hardly breath while reading. Incredibly realistic, rich and psychologically deep, carefully drawn out characters, conversations, situations. Loved the break-up scene, LOVED Ennis' subsequent hell (just wonderful!!!), loved his further struggles and growth (forgiving himself at the end - wow, just wow!), loved the fact that Jack's manly pride was highly respected, that he was not portrayed as some sissy, bitchy, hysterical and demanding femal-ish something. The way Jack was hurt, sad and frightened, but still could not help himself as to continue to love, want, trust and care for Ennis was extremely balanced and well-written. The longings, the tensions..... oh-my-goodness... And the writing itself - very emotional, suffused with love, very funny where it needed to be.

Actually, i have not enjoyed happy endings for BBM so far ("Human Interest" was fine up to a certain point only), but the way "Somebody new" was written - i buy it absolutely.

I don't know what else to say... This was by far-far-far the best story for BBM so far (of course, i probably have not read much yet...). Some people mentioned "If I asked" here, but i think there is no comparison... "Somebody new" is much more realistic in my opinion. This story should be put in some kind of museum for BBM, framed and sealed, to be touched with white gloves only. I have no idea what kind of imagination and life experience or wit a person must have to be able to produce this kind of a story. Or how much research and work one have to put into this. I certainly would not be able to do so... It definitely does not deserve it to be deleted!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #202 on: July 07, 2017, 01:31:14 pm »

This story should be put in some kind of museum for BBM, framed and sealed, to be touched with white gloves only.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Glad you liked it. I loved it too, although for me, Human Interest was the one I considered The Best.

I found it when I was desperate, and read it straight through non stop for several days with hardly any sleep or food.

It saved - if not my life, then at least my sanity.  :laugh:

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2017, 01:39:39 am »
Hey, Sonja!

I liked Human Interest up to Jack's trip to Mexico. I loved Ennis' reaction to what happened there and thought his musing about how to fight for Jack was still alright. But then the story went somehow in a lot of coming out for Ennis, the end being a sort of wedding party and dancing with Jack (though not openly), and it just did not convince me. I just think that Ennis will never be able to "come out" and - besides - i don't think he has even a need for that. Neither does Jack in my opinion. The reason why Ennis does not want anybody to know about him and Jack is fear and shame. He can overcome / deal with the latter, but the former will always be an issue and i don't mean he will always be paranoid, but i think he is just being realistic where the times and places are concerned.

I also had a problem with Ennis' dialogue in HI. Although MadLori did explain that her Ennis is more talkative since he has been living with Jack for 7 years now, i feel that a part of his character - and charm! - is lost that way.

Apart from that, HI pictures J&E as being extremely rich and very successful with their ranch. As much as i would wish this for them, i do think this is not realistic. A lot of fanfics are build on the premise that Jack will get a bunch of money from Newsomes, but in my opinion this is wishful thinking, too. A lot of us want that sweet life for J&E, but I think the reality of their living together would not be as rosy as it is often pictured. I would enjoy a story more if there are more struggles there. For example, i thought the story "A various language" by Destina did a better job there, which is being closer to my pictured reality ;). I do think they would need to work long hours, maybe multiple jobs, be constantly busted in addition to facing discrimination. It will definitely not be easy for them...

Sorry, this should not be some general discussion about fanfics i've read so far, but i saw there is no thread where i could put this...

I just wanted to say about "Somebody New" that although it is a happy ever after story with that sweet life for them, the process of getting there is thoroughly worked out. HI starts up with J&E being 7 years together already, so the whole process of how they actually come to that is mostly missing (apart from some flashbacks). Therefore, less convincing. In "Somebody New" Ennis had two major ground-breaking experiences (Jack's breaking up and Ennis' subsequent delirium) which provide the groundwork for that sweet life and champagne at the end. And even then Ennis is still not interested to live in the open, and Jack understands it - which is more realistic in my mind.

What i liked about "Somebody New" is that the whole story is very consistent. These are hundreds of pages, written in chunks over several months, but it is mostly devoted to Ennis' growth and this growth is distributed nicely over the whole story. I have no idea how Jenna accomplished that (well, i have no idea of writing stories, that's probably why). But there are little details which show that gradual development. Like Ennis mostly not calling Jack's name (only in his mind at the beginning), but it changes at the end. Same goes for Ennis' thoughts which he mostly keeps to himself at the beginning, but spells them out to Jack more and more. Or those little moments of Jack which Ennis puts away in his memories at the beginning, but is not doing this at the end anymore. Sure, there are also more apparent things like saying "i love you", talk about sex out loud or eventually moving in. But for all of this there are always pages over pages of Ennis' thoughts and feelings which lead the way towards every little milestone in his growth. So, the whole process was quite satisfying and believable for me.
And with regards to that shame issue, "Somebody New" shows how Ennis is actually proud of Jack on several occasions. I think he is never ashamed of Jack in this story. Actually i now start on thinking whether he ever was ashamed of Jack in the original story, too.... But that would be OT now.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2017, 06:33:38 pm »
This story should be put in some kind of museum for BBM, framed and sealed, to be touched with white gloves only.

I know a number of people who agree with this!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #205 on: July 16, 2017, 06:34:33 pm »
It saved - if not my life, then at least my sanity.  :laugh:

I would say, "Your life".....as for your sanity, you can't save what doesn't exist.

*runs from Sonja*

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #206 on: July 17, 2017, 05:52:14 pm »

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2017, 06:03:54 pm »
BBM-victim, I like your comparison between HI and SN. It's so many years since I read them now, that I can't really partake in a discussion about them.

It's true though, that they're very successful in HI, in a materialistic way. But they still struggle with the consequenses of Ennis' internal homophobia to a great deal.

There are rougher fics out there, I'm thinking especially of one where they stay together after the mountain and get a job at a farm. I'm afraid I can't remember what it's called, though.

Offline Kananaskis

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #208 on: December 15, 2017, 05:47:48 pm »
Hi everyone,
Still quite not sure how everything works in here, but I'm more excited at the moment about getting into Bettermost than I was when I signed up on Facebook many years ago haha, so that's clearly a good sign.
Been here for a couple weeks already, though only skimming through some major topics, gathering up the courage to write something down myself, and I must say, you guys all seem to be a very friendly and loquacious unique bunch, and I'm absolutely in awe. Considering the fact that I was whopping six years old at the time when the masterpiece was released, I deeply regret I couldn't join you back in 2005/2006.
I'm unequivocally affected by the story (and by story I mean the film and the short story likewise) and there's lots of things I'd like to call into question, not just yet though, I need more time to amply verbalize my feelings, which are an untidy bunch, I've got to come up with fair phrasing for the questions I wish to raise, although you've arguably resolved a myriad of them since Bettermost came into existence.
I'm awful sorry for such a long digression at the beginning, but I didn't want to bother you with a separate post created with the sole purpose of me introducing myself ;)). Does any of you still have a copy of this "Somebody New" fanfic you were referring to? I certainly won't ever get tired of re-watching the film, listening to or reading the short story, but I'm riveted to find that the majority of you liked it, and sadly all the links provided above are inactive.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #209 on: December 15, 2017, 10:43:59 pm »
Welcome, Wojtek! You'll have a cup o'coffee, won't you? Piece a cherry cake?

Sorry, I don't have any fan fiction but hopefully one of us will have what you're seeking. I have heard people talk about "Somebody New" before.
"chewing gum and duct tape"