Author Topic: Where did you learn about BetterMost?  (Read 26810 times)

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
Re: Where did you learn about BetterMost?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2006, 05:27:50 am »
HI Folks...

Thought I'd poke my nose in here for a bit and say HI and Welcome too....to the new peeps in here. 
 I'm kind of the 'resident grandma' around here.  I lurk around everywhere but am mainly found in the "Ladies Corner" hanging out with a bunch of gals who have had their socks knocked off...by Brokeback Mountain.

I'm joking a bit here but TRULY....our Brokeback Mountain is making very significant changes in a lot of our lives.  Thank goodness for Philip who has given so many of us a safe place...a haven!!  I was wandering around from forum to forum....thinking that perhaps I had gone crazy with the emotional upheaval I was feeling. 
 Next thing I knew I was in here...and feeling as snug as a bug in a rug.  No longer alone with the feelings I was experiencing. 

Thank you Philip...and welcome to our new friends!!

Nancy
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2006, 07:32:18 pm »
Hi there.  Look a lot of you, I saw a link to this site on IMDB.  I thought it could be helpful to connect to other people who were also deeply affected by the movie, so looking forward to getting to know people on here.  Thanks!

Welcome aboard.  I have a few people who occasionally mention us on the IMDB forum, but anything written there tends to scroll away quite rapidly.  Anyone who can help spread the word about BetterMost to other forums will get my thanks, because I can't be aware of every one of them.   :)
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2006, 07:46:08 pm »
I read about your site in a message on http://www.davecullen.com/brokebackmountain/ - which he calls The Ultimate Brokeback Guide.  I have to admit I have found most of my jpg, gif  and mp3 collection from links on his site.  Some MOV and some WMV's too.  But I try and surf safely and some of the sites that he links to have so many popups and other junk.   Still, I haven't been back there since I signed on with you.   Your site is at a great stage of development and I really thank you for putting it up. 

Thanks for stopping by and joining us.  Dave Cullen's forum is simply amazing in the sheer number of people that are over there posting away.  The philosophy in the forum setup there seems to be to have a set number of threads and then have people reply within them, which I suppose makes it easier to find out what is where, but it is daunting for newbies like me over there to try and get through 200 pages of replies.  :)

My goal here isn't really to compete with any of the other forums.  In fact, I take pleasure in seeing people jump from one forum to another and end up back here again.  I set BetterMost up mostly to move beyond the movie itself.  I realize the IMDB and many other forums are focused on every detail of the film, but I suspect that once people are done doing that, there needs to be something beyond the film to keep people interested in the forum and topic.

So BetterMost was launched as an effort to bring a committed group of people together to move forward in their lives, knowing we all have one thing in common - a shared experience with the movie.  But as we meet new challenges - be it a new career or relationship or just coming to terms with oneself better, there will be a familiar group of people here who will get to know each other who will hopefully still be here to support each other on these newer challenges.

A year from now, I don't know how much of this place will still be focused on Brokeback Mountain the movie versus User X has just decided to start a new business because they are not going to waste another moment doing what they aren't in life and they want support.  Or, User Y has been working on their sexual orientation issues and has just found someone to go out with on a first date and want to share their feelings about that.  After a year of getting to know both, hopefully the advice and support they receive from our little group will be worth something more than trying to open up with a group of strangers.

But never fear, I think we'll be making references to Jack and Ennis for a long time to come. 

As far as external links on other sites, it's hard to control what happens when you leave a website.  Pop-up ads are likely on those external sites to "monetize" them.  We have some advertising on this site, but it's not designed to be intrusive.  BetterMost is never going to be a whack-a-mole style popup ad site where you race to close windows as fast as they open.  When I post external links, mostly on the Movie Resources forum, I try not to extend links to sites that will drive you crazy.

Offline Jack_ME

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2006, 09:36:59 am »
One other little note: I saw the link on Imdb, and went for it. I noticed you only cited 11,000 individual postings to the BBM board on imdb, but it's waaaay over that--it's more like 150,000 now. Check it and see.

Heh... I'll definitely update my information.  I think I grabbed the figure from a message someone posted there, but that could have been back around the turn of the new year.  It's incredible to see the response over there, even if the sheer number of messages and the irritating forum software they use made it literally overwhelming.

Just in case you and others don't realize this, the IMDB messageboards for Brokeback Mountain (and same for each film there) EXPIRE after a certain period of time which is dependent on the amount of activity, ie, postings. At one time I noticed that that board had over 200,000 posts, the next I had the opportunity to look, it was about 170,000, and I thought I must have been mistaken originally. Then the next time I looked, I saw it at around 150,000, and I knew it had been more. Later still, I checked it again, and it was then at 120,000 posts, so I knew something was going on and investigated. Sure enough buried in the help and inofrmation of the IMDB, it quite clearly says that they do not view their messageboards as archive resources and all postings expire. The rate of expiration is automatically dynamically adjusted, so if a board gets very little traffic, any post there could stay for months and months, maybe years. However, if a board gets lots of traffic as BBM was getting in January, then the older posts start dropping off immediately. When I last looked about 2 weeks ago, I could only find threads going back to January 16th. All earlier had vanished.  That was a shock to me, as there had been so much fascinating and in-depth discussion on the film. It seemed tragic that all that was going to be lost.

So, keep that in mind, and if there are some threads there you wish to preserve, you best get copy and pasting into some document on your own system. That's what I did to try to salvage some of those great discussion threads. But that's a lot of work, and not a very smooth operation, and of course you can't just zip up and down the posts as on the real board format.

Just thought I'd share this information, and take this opportunity to make my first post here.

Great site. I really like the concept and the good setup, and the BBM radio is great too!

I believe I learned of this site from another board, possibly "ultimatebrokebackmountain" forum (Variety Ad creating forum).

Jack in Maine

« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 05:15:58 pm by Jack_ME »

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2006, 08:41:37 pm »
Hi Jack.....nice to see you here with us.  Thanks very much for the 'heads up' regarding the POSTS on IMBD.  I HAVE saved a few of the posts....<Pierre...especially> and I'll go zipping through to see if there are any others I want...for posterity.

Hugssssssss....Nancy  :-*
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Jack_ME

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2006, 08:50:23 pm »
Hi Jack.....nice to see you here with us.  Thanks very much for the 'heads up' regarding the POSTS on IMBD.  I HAVE saved a few of the posts....<Pierre...especially> and I'll go zipping through to see if there are any others I want...for posterity.

Hugssssssss....Nancy  :-*

Thanks for the welcome, Nancy!

I've been reading around this board. I read your thread......amazing!

Yeah that IMDB messageboard behaviour was a real SHOCK to me as I had assumed that I could go back there whenever I wanted and reread some of those deep discussions. I also thought I could refer folks to them....so to learn that they are constantly evaporating is really beyond belief to me.

BetterMost seems to be a great board with a nice friendly feel. I'm glad to have found it.

And Phillip has been very nice and helpful in my PMs to him!

And how 'bout that BBM Radio! I think that's just great.

Jack in Maine

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2006, 08:59:31 pm »
I've been reading around this board. I read your thread......amazing!

BetterMost seems to be a great board with a nice friendly feel. I'm glad to have found it.

And Phillip has been very nice and helpful in my PMs to him!

And how 'bout that BBM Radio! I think that's just great.

Jack in Maine

Thanks Jack....and I am secretly madly in LOVE with Philip <wink> ....he's the BESTEST!!!

And BBM radio has me totally hooked!! 
I hope you enjoy our forum Jack....we've got one HELLUVA bunch of great peeps here.
Lot's of LOVE and caring going on here...!!!

And it's JUST dawned on me....JUST NOW...that we've NEVER had any sort of nastiness in here!!  It's people...helping people...in our quest to find some answers to that big thing called LIFE!!   

I'm glad you found us too!!! 

BIG WARM WELCOME HUG!!!!!!    Nancy  :-*

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2006, 11:28:15 pm »
On the topic of other boards, I tried to get involved over at the davecullen.com boards, but discovered that a newbie there can't start threads in most of the fora.  You have to reply X number of times to other posters before the "Start New Topic" button appears on your screen.

To hell with that!  :'(
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2006, 08:53:07 pm »
And it's JUST dawned on me....JUST NOW...that we've NEVER had any sort of nastiness in here!!  It's people...helping people...in our quest to find some answers to that big thing called LIFE!!   

I'm glad you found us too!!! 

BIG WARM WELCOME HUG!!!!!!    Nancy  :-*

I think I've discovered our angle here at BetterMost - we're the Brokeback Mountain forum with a small town feel.  Everyone seems to know everyone else because we aren't like them city slicker forums with 6000 posts.   ;D

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2006, 08:56:17 pm »
On the topic of other boards, I tried to get involved over at the davecullen.com boards, but discovered that a newbie there can't start threads in most of the fora.  You have to reply X number of times to other posters before the "Start New Topic" button appears on your screen.

To hell with that!  :'(

I always thought that was just the way the forum was set up to limit the number of open threads to help keep things more organized.  As Don Rumsfeld says, "who knows!"  ;)

As I have said before, Dave's forum is just massive and I see people who have posted more than 1,000 messages over there.  Wow.  But it is daunting as a new user to try and comb through 200+ pages of messages in a thread.  I knew when I started this I didn't want to compete with that anyway.  Why reinvent the wheel.  My effort was to find a niche.  I am seeing varying success in helping people get beyond just discussing the movie, so I am trying different things until I see what works.