Author Topic: The Laundry Room  (Read 114343 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The laundry
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2006, 01:42:26 pm »
But the differences are telling. Of course, Alma is clothed while Jack is naked. And the contrast of the wild free-running stream to the sink in the choky little ranch house couldn't be more different!

LOL, I just posted about this in the nearly indiscernible moments thread. But it really belongs here. I think it's interesting that you hear the pounding of the washboard before you actually see Alma. The first time I saw the movie, I heard that and thought we were about to see Ennis and Alma in bed together. But -- we don't.

I don't think that's accidental.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2007, 12:52:28 pm »
Another reference to laundry from the story...when visiting Jack's mother and father, Ennis "bumps down the washboard road" in his truck. Ennis has been put "through the wringer" in many ways in this story and emerges a much different man.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2007, 06:12:03 pm »
Yesterday I was at my yoga class and the instructor told us that the stretching and twisting exercises he was putting us through were meant to "wring out" the toxins from our inner organs just like water is wrung out of clothes by twisting them. He even showed us a wringing motion with his hands. I was reminded so much of Ennis, Brokeback Mountain, and this topic.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2007, 06:46:01 pm »
I was reminded so much of Ennis, Brokeback Mountain, and this topic.

Now, if only Ennis had taken up yoga!  ;)

I take a yoga class, too, on Thursdays. And I know I'm supposed to be concentrating on the positions, but every time my teacher talks about a "Twist" ...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2007, 07:53:31 pm »
So, Lee... you're yoga instructor didn't bring up the most *controversial* aspect of the concept of wringing I assume.
 ;)  ::)

Anyway, it's amazing how almost everything in daily life can eventually come to take on Brokie significance the more one gets engrossed in these discussions.

Hey, this is OT, but does anyone remember where we had that great old discussion of all the different definitions of the word "twist"?  I remember it was a really neat topic to think about.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2007, 10:45:55 pm »
So, Lee... you're yoga instructor didn't bring up the most *controversial* aspect of the concept of wringing I assume.
 ;)  ::)

Anyway, it's amazing how almost everything in daily life can eventually come to take on Brokie significance the more one gets engrossed in these discussions.

Hey, this is OT, but does anyone remember where we had that great old discussion of all the different definitions of the word "twist"?  I remember it was a really neat topic to think about.

Well, now that you mention it, we were also treated to a talk about the importance of keeping the anal sphinchter tight and flexible! Is that controversial enuf for you??

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2007, 11:16:45 pm »
:o
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2007, 02:57:11 pm »
:o

We certainly do get into some rather esoteric subjects in yoga class, but, yes, it's an important element of overall health, but I won't gross you out with all the details!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The laundry and kitchen
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2007, 03:31:12 pm »
We started out in the laundry, and after an extensive detour into the bathroom, we will presently head to the kitchen!!

We see Alma's kitchen several times in the movie. Here is, I believe, the second sighting of it:

« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 03:38:42 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2007, 12:44:19 pm »
I must make a confession here: I've never seen the famous Wonder bread, either wrapped or unwrapped. Can someone help me out and post a picture or two of the Wonder bread that is supposedly sitting on Alma's kitchen counter?