Author Topic: Norton Internet Security thinks BetterMost is "Phishing"?? That's insulting!  (Read 20113 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Grrr! What's THIS about??
Stupid Norton Internet Security thinks BetterMost is fake???

Very annoying! Should any of the administration gods do anything--or just ignore? I thought I should mention it.

Fraudulent Web Page Blocked
You attempted to access:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?board=49.0

This web page is a known fraudulent web page. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this page.

For your protection, this web page has been blocked. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.

Exit this Web page

Continue to site anyway
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

injest

:o :o

JOHN!!!

• BetterMost Supporter!

:o :o

JOHN!!!

I had to buy a new laptop Tuesday as the old one died. Unfortunately, the new one is running--ugh--Vista. (Feh!) Nothing but reminders, cautions, alerts. But this--again, it's insulting!!

>:(

"Camping Out"

injest

I had to buy a new laptop Tuesday as the old one died. Unfortunately, the new one is running--ugh--Vista. (Feh!) Nothing but reminders, cautions, alerts. But this--again, it's insulting!!

>:(

hmmm...well I pmed our John the Tech Admin about it. I dont' know that he can do anything about it but sounds like something they need to know about.

injest

and yes, Vista is a pain in the derriere

• BetterMost Supporter!

and yes, Vista is a pain in the derriere

Hate it (Vista--blech)

Thanks!

"Camping Out"

injest

Hate it (Vista--blech)

Thanks!

Vista is proof that humans can adapt to any abuse, after a while you will get used to having to click five times to do anything.

You would think that since you are signed IN as Admin, you could move from one program to another but mine pops up and asks "Did you INTEND to do that?"

I feel like there is a disapproving tech guy standing over my shoulder.

Offline John Passaniti

• Town Administration
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
JOHN!!!

WHAT!!!

I have no idea what Norton would see as phishing.  The Google Ads on the side and the weather report on the bottom are both off-site links and it's possible those are triggering it.  But that's new, since I haven't changed the content or layout in weeks.

I'll poke around and try to figure it out.  In the meantime, if anyone seeing this can provoke this and provide me with deeper information, it would be helpful.  Do not respond to this message; send such information to me as a PM.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
There is a possibility this false positive came about because a Google ad was identified as potentially being a phishing advertisement.  This is especially possible if you noticed the Phishing alert only happens periodically.

I believe as part of Norton, there is some mechanism where you can click that the site is safe and report it as a false positive.

There is also this direct web form you can use to report false positives.  You will want to include the complete URL in the report.  Thanks for letting me know and this thread can be used by folks who discover any repeat problems.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Don't they know that we didn't go up there to phish?   ::)
"chewing gum and duct tape"