Author Topic: Political Fun! Obamas Offered a Bald Pup! What Should They Do?  (Read 26759 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Political Fun! Obamas Offered a Bald Pup! What Should They Do?
« on: November 12, 2008, 05:25:32 am »
If someone can find a picture of the breed, please post it here! :)

I can see Barack and Michelle going for it, but I don't know about the girls. I think they were imagining a puppy more on the furry side! :laugh:

From AOL:

Peruvians Offer Bald Puppy to Obamas

By TERRY WADE, Reuters
posted: 10 HOURS 36 MINUTES AGO

LIMA, Peru (Nov. 11) - Peruvians crazy about their national dog, a bald and often toothless breed popular among Incan kings, have offered to send a hypoallergenic puppy to the Obama family.

President-elect Barack Obama has promised daughters Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, a new pet for the White House. But Malia is allergic to most breeds, he said Friday as speculation swirled about the dog the family would choose.

Owners of the Peruvian Hairless Dog, a breed dating back 3,000 years and depicted in pre-Hispanic ceramics, say it is perfect for kids who are sensitive to dogs.

"They do not cause any type of allergy and are very friendly and sweet," said Claudia Galvez, 38, director of the Friends of the Peruvian Hairless Dog Association.

"We want to give a male puppy to Obama's daughters, so they get to experience all the joys of having a dog but without any allergies."

According to Peruvian folklore, the dogs have above-average body temperature, which compensates for their lack of hair and helps alleviate symptoms of asthma or arthritis suffered by their owners.

Galvez delivered a letter detailing her offer to the U.S. Embassy in Lima Monday and hopes Obama will accept it.

Galvez has a 4-month-old pedigree puppy to send to the Obama family. For now, she is calling it Ears because it has two large, perky ones.

"But if we send it to the United States, its official name will be Machu Picchu," she said, referring to the ancient Incan citadel, Peru's top tourist attraction.

http://news.aol.com/article/peruvians-offer-bald-puppy-to-obamas/244364

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Political Fun! Obamas Offered a Bald Pup! What Should They Do?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 07:58:17 am »

They are cute!

But I hope the Obamas get a shelter dog from the United States Humane Society or somewhere like that.

They look pretty big when grown!

I voted "other". They could take the Peruvian dog AND adopt a shelter dog.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 08:21:14 am »
they should get a cat.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:31:00 am »

I think Scottish terrier first dog Barney is cute.
But he bit the press the other day.   :o

So the Obamas need a different breed. My mixed dogs are just as smart and sweet as the ones with pedigrees. I think a lab/mastiff mix would be nice. The girls might like a little dog tho--like a shih tzu or a dachshund or a Yorkie.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 09:20:03 am »
My boss has an allergy to animal fur but loves dogs.

How did she get around it? She got a poodle!   :D

Poodles don't have fur. They have hair, like human hair.

Poodles come in all sizes and colours, from the large Standard Poodles to cute little Miniature Poodles. And they are one of the most intelligent breeds of dog.

I'm not particularly fond of the bizarre haircut given to show poodles. But there is nothing compelling a poodle owner to give their pet the weird French haircut favoured by show dogs. I think poodles look best when their coats are left natural and unclipped . . . . .

Standard Poodle

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 10:57:05 am »
I agree, Kerry.  A standard poodle is great for those with allergies. They are very intelligent and very graceful.  A neighbor of mine has a pair, one black and one white and they are so cute together.  And, no, they don't have stupid haircuts.  They look something like this:

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 11:01:05 am »
I'm very fond of greyhounds.  Also very smart and gentle.  However, I don't really know how allergenic they are.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 11:03:16 am »
A greyhound puppy:

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 11:44:22 am »
Here's a picture of some Peruvian Hairless puppies:

I voted "not sure" as I don't know anything about the breed's temperament, especially how good they are with children.  The breed I do know is greyhounds, and IMO that would be a good choice.  They produce minimal dander and tend to have a very easygoing, affectionate temperament.

One caveat is that greyhound puppies can be maddeningly hyper.  They do outgrow that by the time they're three years old or so but in the meantime they need lots of exercise or they can be destructive.  But the Obamas might have the staff and facilities to cope with that -- after all, Carolyn Kennedy had a pony.

BTW, greyhound puppies go through a funny-looking stage where they look like anteaters.   :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 04:38:33 pm »
How are older greyhounds around older kids?

The president-elect said the family would like to get a shelter dog, but they were concerned about the allergies. If greyhounes are hypoallergenic, a rescue greyhound might just fit the bill.

Of course, the dog will be subject to some public scrutiny (reporters, etc.). How would a rescue greyhound handle that situation? Remember what Barney just did.  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.