Author Topic: Economic Gender Gaps: In the U.S. and Internationally  (Read 21548 times)

karen1129

Re: Economic Gender Gaps: In the U.S. and Internationally
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 07:32:20 pm »
Well, I think Phillip wants people to feel free to discuss all kind of subjects.

I would just have to let him or one of the mods answer this.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 08:07:46 pm »
Look at the landing page for the site. It's all about Brokeback Mountain and events and parallel topics/issues relating to the film and its inherent subject matter. Jumping out of the page as a bold abberation and labeled "special" and "important" is WOMEN TODAY. Looks, feels, and appears like sexism to me.

First of all, Brokeback Mountain is not synonymous with "gay men." Yes, the movie's heroes are gay men. But discussing the movie (and story) does not limit one to discussing gay men. You can also discuss symbolism in literature and movies, unhappy marriages, 1960s fashions, infidelity, the Wyoming landscape, economic hardship, Western music, and all kinds of other things. The forum was created to discuss BBM, its effect on the lives of the people who are members here, and other topics that spring from that foundation.

If you look in the top corner of your screen, HerrKaiser, you will see that there are 10,742 topics (threads) on this site. Many are about Brokeback Mountain. Some are about gay men. Some are about men in general, such as the group of threads that Milo maintains on his blog site. And many, many more are about other subjects, ranging from ketchup vs. mustard to the death penalty. The Women's Forum was created because many of the site's members (the majority, in fact, from what I've heard) are women. Some are gay women, some are bisexual or straight women. But as the site is intended as a community in which people can discuss all sorts of things, the existence of a forum devoted to women's issues seems entirely appropriate. It is featured on the landing page right now because it is new, and we want to let people know of its existence.

But I know most of this is not a surprise to you, HerrKaiser, because I have seen you post on many of those other threads, particularly the political ones. In fact, most of the places I've seen you post do not focus on gay men. Interestingly, this is the very first time I've seen you complain about that.

Hmm ...  ::)

karen1129

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 08:21:06 pm »
Thanks Katherine.

I was beginning to feel like a sexist ! ;D

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 08:44:37 pm »
First of all, Brokeback Mountain is not synonymous with "gay men." Yes, the movie's heroes are gay men. But discussing the movie (and story) does not limit one to discussing gay men. You can also discuss symbolism in literature and movies, unhappy marriages, 1960s fashions, infidelity, the Wyoming landscape, economic hardship, Western music, and all kinds of other things. The forum was created to discuss BBM, its effect on the lives of the people who are members here, and other topics that spring from that foundation.

If you look in the top corner of your screen, HerrKaiser, you will see that there are 10,742 topics (threads) on this site. Many are about Brokeback Mountain. Some are about gay men. Some are about men in general, such as the group of threads that Milo maintains on his blog site. And many, many more are about other subjects, ranging from ketchup vs. mustard to the death penalty. The Women's Forum was created because many of the site's members (the majority, in fact, from what I've heard) are women. Some are gay women, some are bisexual or straight women. But as the site is intended as a community in which people can discuss all sorts of things, the existence of a forum devoted to women's issues seems entirely appropriate. It is featured on the landing page right now because it is new, and we want to let people know of its existence.

But I know most of this is not a surprise to you, HerrKaiser, because I have seen you post on many of those other threads, particularly the political ones. In fact, most of the places I've seen you post do not focus on gay men. Interestingly, this is the very first time I've seen you complain about that.

Hmm ...  ::)

yes, hmmmm. once again, you fail to address a post accurately and make wild comments that have little bearing on the post you chose to criticize. I never said the BBM was "synonymous" with gay men. YOU said that, and then proceeded to opine on a variety of obvious aspects about the forum.

what I did say is that the forum is "about Brokeback Mountain and events and parallel topics/issues relating to the film and its inherent subject matter". That is not at all synonymous with gay men; far more extensive, which is fine with me.

I do take umberage , though, with the sexist nature of your forum, highlighted and featured in a way to create a dominance and attitude that is exemplory of pure sexism.

karen1129

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 09:00:45 pm »
Oh Lord.  :(

::)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 10:02:17 pm »
in a forum created to discuss gay (mens) issues,

I didn't realize Bettermost was created strictly for gay mens issues.

I don't think it was

Ah, I guess the name may as well have been Del Monte.

Umm ... Herr, here are you discussing "gay men's issues" as if that were synonymous with "Brokeback Mountain." The forum is created to discuss Brokeback Mountain issues.

Sexist, hunh? Herr, I have to ask you again ... why have you never made this complaint about the thousands of other posts here that aren't about Brokeback Mountain (or even gay men's issues) including those you have posted on? Why state your first objection ever in the case of the women's forum?

karen1129

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 10:33:57 pm »
I do have to laugh at the sexist accusation.
One could think you calling it sexist is sexist.
 :)

You did make several posts in this thread before you came to the conclusion that it was sexist.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 12:01:56 am »

Why is it, that some of the people here, tend to attack the very women that have been the biggest supporters
of gay men and gay rights?  It seems that lately the very people that are receiving the largest share of that
support are the ones that want to attack the supporters.  Is it that there is no room for the other side of the issue to
be explored.  I don't understand why that has happened.  As far as Bettermost and its reason for having been
established.  I thought it was in order for all issues that have been raised, as a result of BBM, be discussed.
Not just the gay men.  Not just the wives of those gay men, but all their sympathizers and friends as well.  The movie
seemed to be about more than just the two men involved.  It was about society as a whole and how it effects
all of its members.  How those effects can cause negative and bad results, to all.
    I for one took extreme exception to the inference that women are too ignorant, by birth or by choice, to teach
anything except for K-3.  While men are more apt at teaching older and more advanced children.

Beautiful mind

karen1129

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2008, 12:17:02 am »
What Janice said !
 ;)

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2008, 12:51:21 am »

One could think you calling it sexist is sexist.

One could, if one was not very honest or insightful.