Author Topic: What is Your Favorite Holiday Movie?  (Read 57224 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: What is Your Favorite Holiday Movie?
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2008, 04:01:44 pm »
Maybe it comes from getting older and living in cynical New York, but I always get a lot of laughs watching Billy Bob Thornton in "Bad Santa."  Cloris Leachman has a funny cameo, too.  ;D

Just watched this tonight - pretty funny!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2009, 02:55:10 am »
Just finished watching one of my favorite holiday movies Love Actually and when I went to IMDb, I found an interesting bit of trivia.

A speech given by Hugh Grant in ‘Love Actually’ - where he extols the virtues of Great Britain and refuses to cave to the pressure of its longstanding ally, the United States - was etched in the transatlantic memory as a satirical, wishful statement on the concurrent Bush-Blair relationship. Tony Blair responded by saying in 2005, "I know there's a bit of us that would like me to do a Hugh Grant in ‘Love Actually’ and tell America where to get off. But the difference between a good film and real life is that in real life there's the next day, the next year, the next lifetime to contemplate the ruinous consequences of easy applause."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2009, 06:55:18 am »
Just finished watching one of my favorite holiday movies Love Actually

I enjoy that movie too.  I like the format, the many characters, sadness turning to happiness, connections between people revealed as the movie goes on, good music.  There are a lot of bits in that movie I like.  And I always tear up at the end, with the Beach Boys singing "God Only Knows" as families and friends meet at the airport, more and more and more of them.  Almost every time I'm at the airport to pick someone up, I marvel at how important it is to each of us to get just that certain person who is coming off the airplane, and not their seatmate.  People are so not interchangeable.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2009, 07:01:25 am »

I enjoy that movie too.  I like the format, the many characters, sadness turning to happiness, connections between people revealed as the movie goes on, good music.  There are a lot of bits in that movie I like.  And I always tear up at the end, with the Beach Boys singing "God Only Knows" as families and friends meet at the airport, more and more and more of them.  Almost every time I'm at the airport to pick someone up, I marvel at how important it is to each of us to get just that certain person who is coming off the airplane, and not their seatmate.  People are so not interchangeable.

I love love love that bit too!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2009, 12:09:03 am »
My favorite is A Chrismas Story!  On Christmas Day it's on TV for 24 hours, and I just love it having it on while I'm doing my Christmassy things around the house!
Hi Kelda!

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2009, 09:13:36 pm »
I have a special fondness for The Homecoming, which is the movie upon which "The Waltons" was based.  The movie had different actors playing Olivia and John - Patricia Neal (LOVE her) and ... some guy.  Everyone else was the same as in the TV show, I think.

I wonder if they'll show it this year, since it's about the Great Depression, and how this huge family is trying to scrape out an existence in the mountains of West Virginia, and how their Dad makes a long trip into the nearest big town to buy Christmas presents for the family and doesn't return.  As the panic starts to set in, it's interesting to see how each of the family members copes with the thought that he may not come back.

On a lighter note, I also love Scrooged, A Christmas Story (you'll shoot your eye out, kid!), and Christmas Vacation.

And I cry every damn time the Grinch's heart grows three sizes that day.

Christmas is over now but The Homecoming is a favorite of mine. 

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2009, 05:01:02 pm »
Nobody watched Die Hard this year?  ;D  8)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2014, 07:49:26 pm »
I can't vouch for the accuracy of it, but I noticed this evening that the current issue of TV Guide lists a broadcast of Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol for this Friday evening. I haven't seen that in, oh, 50 years.  ;D

That was actually my first introduction to the Dickens classic.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2014, 06:18:02 pm »
I love the music in that one....."All Alone In The World"...."Winter Was Warm".

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2014, 09:43:22 am »
A favorite is Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory".  He narrates it himself, it's a biographical story of a Christmas he spends with his cousin, played by Geraldine Page, in the '30s.  

From wiki:
The largely autobiographical story, which takes place in the 1930s, describes a period in the lives of the seven-year-old narrator and an elderly woman who is his distant cousin and best friend. The evocative narrative focuses on country life, friendship, and the joy of giving during the Christmas season, and it also gently yet poignantly touches on loneliness and loss.

Now a holiday classic, "A Christmas Memory" has been broadcast, recorded, filmed, and staged multiple times, in award-winning productions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0vjTfVyZco

"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."