Author Topic: Any Libraries needing Brokeback?  (Read 5287 times)

Marge_Innavera

Any Libraries needing Brokeback?
« on: November 15, 2008, 11:09:55 am »
I'd like some suggestions from anyone knowing of a library -- public or school library -- that might be interested in a DVD copy of BBM as a donation.  Was in Wal-Mart yesterday and noticed that they had several copies for $9.00 each. 

Any suggestions?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Any Libraries needing Brokeback?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 12:37:26 pm »
I noticed that the Ten Sleep, Wyoming, library did not have it last time I was there, and I don't think the Casper (home of Dick Cheney) library has it either. It's a crying shame.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 05:28:00 pm »
Thanks, Lee! It would be great to donate a copy to a Wyoming library.

I'll pick up at least one copy tomorrow morning, and get busy contacting them.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 09:32:40 am »
Good news!  The Ten Sleep library didn't have a copy and said they'd be happy to add Brokeback to their collection.  I sent the DVD off yesterday via Priority Mail.

I consider this an extra-special bit of Christmas shopping -- being able to send the movie out to a place so closely associated with BBM.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 11:33:10 am »
Very nice idea, Marge!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 01:00:39 pm »
Great news! I have visited this library several times because it is one of the few places in Ten Sleep that has Internet access. It's a crying shame that they didn't have the movie, and thank you for remedying that.

One time the library was selling surplus books and my friend EDelMar bought me Larry McMurtry's Telegraph Days. It's an amusing book.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 11:03:50 am »
I suggest donate one copy to the Hillsborough County Florida Library System
out of protest & a second to Rhonda Storms. Several years ago she banned a gay pride display in
the public library system. I am suprised she did not have all the books refering to gays
banned and burned.

http://www.recreatingtampa.com/2008/12/04/hillsborough-county-gay-pride-ban-watch/

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 11:18:42 am »
Merci, thanks for this thread subject!

You have a wonderful idea: you know we could all contribute to give a copy to librairies all over the whole World ?

What do you think?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 01:05:56 pm »
Good news!  The Ten Sleep library didn't have a copy and said they'd be happy to add Brokeback to their collection.  I sent the DVD off yesterday via Priority Mail.

I consider this an extra-special bit of Christmas shopping -- being able to send the movie out to a place so closely associated with BBM.
That´s really great, Marge. It really is.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 03:30:37 pm »
I suggest donate one copy to the Hillsborough County Florida Library System out of protest & a second to Rhonda Storms. Several years ago she banned a gay pride display in the public library system. I am suprised she did not have all the books refering to gays banned and burned.

Is Rhonda Storms affiliated with the library? If so, I doubt they'd accept the donation but please let me know.

Artiste is right, there's no shortage of libraries! not only public libraries but college libraries as well.  IMO donating a copy of BBM to a library would be a great Brokie holiday thing to do.  I can tell you that this has made my own holiday a lot more meaningful.

It's always a good idea to contact the library first, so as to be sure your donation will be used.  There are some who wouldn't accept it, but homophobia isn't the only reason. When I was participating in a DVDs to libraries campaign two years ago, I discovered that some libraries don't accept DVDs with an "R" rating; others don't even stock feature films in their DVD sections; they carry only documentaries and other educational films.