Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 100159 times)

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2008, 06:13:03 pm »
I think most people do the same, if not quite so systematically. You sound very generous!  :)

Those are Canadian dollars LOL

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2008, 08:31:52 pm »
I think most people do the same, if not quite so systematically. You sound very generous!  :)

Just about all of my friends this year are $0 friends. Mainly because my kids are three-digit friends.

I may sound generous but I only have very few close friends that I buy for, they are my chosen family.  My "real" family has dwindled down to my sister and niece and a couple of cousins (the evil twins- think Patty & Selma Bouvier, it's uncanny really) who spend Christmas with us because their parents, my aunt and uncle, are just awful people.  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2008, 10:56:05 pm »
Metamucil is the food of the gods!  ;D

Eeew!  :P

:laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2008, 12:12:29 am »
Metamucil is the food of the gods!  ;D

At Christmas time I assign dollar values to my friends.  I have $25 friends, $50 friends and $100 friends.  Is that bad?  :-\  ;)

The thought of all those gods floating above us, stoked up on Metamucil, reminds me of something that once happened to a friend. We were having lunch in a Sydney park, when one of the resident pigeons indelicately deposited a nasty, gooey splattering all over my friend's left shoulder. Without missing a beat and devoid of any discernible expression or emotion, my friend deadpanned, "I sure am glad elephants can't fly." Boom-boom!  :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2008, 10:32:54 pm »
I hate those commercials where they advertise something and then you have to call in to order it, because IT'S NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES!! And then, when they tell you the price at the end (it's almost always $19.99 plus shipping and handling) they say "You get it all!". I don't know why that bugs me so much but I hate it.

You get it all!

::)  ::)

One time they were advertising these kitchen rags that are supposed to absorb everything, even carpet spills. You could get 2 of them, BUT at the end of the commercial they would double your order! You got 4 for $19.99 plus $5.95 shipping and handling. So for $25.94 we get four yellow rags. And then she had the gall to say "YOU GET IT ALL!" Oh boy! Four little rags for roughly $26.00. Geez.  ::)

And this really isn't an expression, but I also hate how they put a bunch of things in small print down at the bottom of the screen at the end of commercials. It's faint, very tiny, and they only leave it on for about 2 seconds. You'd have to be a speed reader and have a magnifying glass in your hand in order to see it. When I see companies do things like this, I make it a point NOT to buy anything from them. It's obvious they are trying to deceive us. If they weren't they wouldn't use all that tiny, faint, blurry print at the bottom of the screen. >:(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2008, 09:29:39 pm »
"No harm, no foul."

For some reason it bugs me.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2008, 11:20:06 am »

One time they were advertising these kitchen rags that are supposed to absorb everything, even carpet spills. You could get 2 of them, BUT at the end of the commercial they would double your order! You got 4 for $19.99 plus $5.95 shipping and handling. So for $25.94 we get four yellow rags. And then she had the gall to say "YOU GET IT ALL!" Oh boy! Four little rags for roughly $26.00. Geez.  ::)

Are you by any chance talking about "Sham-Wow!"?  Those commercials crack me up.  Because, you're right... the amount of money for rags is pretty funny.  But, also, the name of the product is pretty hilarious.  And, the guy they have on the commercial is such and over-the-top **SALESMAN** in his on-camera persona.  I think he's also wearing a headset during the commercial.  LOL!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2008, 11:35:29 am »
I seem to only see that commercial when I am watching BBC America...is that what they think of us across the pond???  LOL

I see it on CNN, MSNBC, the Food Network and HGTV (which are my four most-frequently watched channels).

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2008, 12:35:38 pm »
I hate those commercials where they advertise something and then you have to call in to order it, because IT'S NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES!! And then, when they tell you the price at the end (it's almost always $19.99 plus shipping and handling) they say "You get it all!". I don't know why that bugs me so much but I hate it.

You get it all!

::)  ::)

And this really isn't an expression, but I also hate how they put a bunch of things in small print down at the bottom of the screen at the end of commercials. It's faint, very tiny, and they only leave it on for about 2 seconds. You'd have to be a speed reader and have a magnifying glass in your hand in order to see it. When I see companies do things like this, I make it a point NOT to buy anything from them. It's obvious they are trying to deceive us. If they weren't they wouldn't use all that tiny, faint, blurry print at the bottom of the screen. >:(

Remember the famous Popeil Pocket Fisherman?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2008, 02:39:35 pm »
I hate "Don't get your knickers in a twist" and "Don't get your undies in a bundle." Unnecessarily rude ways to say "relax."

"Settle down" isn't quite as bad, but it's annoying, too. When I use it myself, it's because I'm trying to be patronizing. I should stop that!   ::)