Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 98990 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #310 on: December 23, 2008, 10:46:24 pm »
Para - digm

sounds like

pair of dimes (10 cent pieces)  ;D

Oh, duh, right.  Thanks Del.  I'm impressed he has a pair of dimes in his pocket to give.  I've avoided having change in my pockets for some time now, I don't want it to scuff (or worse) my phone.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #311 on: December 23, 2008, 11:32:57 pm »
hehe! I think Aha moment succeeded paradigm shift. Whenever I say that, my friend Chuck hands me two 10-cent coins!

Surely you have to have an Aha Moment before you can shift the paradigm?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #312 on: December 24, 2008, 12:07:38 am »
Here's one I'd never seen or heard of until it started showing up on Bettermost:

Christianist

Hunh?  ???  WTF? :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #313 on: December 24, 2008, 05:46:22 am »
Surely you have to have an Aha Moment before you can shift the paradigm?

Personally I prefer HaHa Moments and then goose that paradimes into high gear!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #314 on: December 24, 2008, 06:55:20 pm »
Here's one I'd never seen or heard of until it started showing up on Bettermost:

Christianist

Yeah, I noticed that one, too.  Never heard of it before.  But I have heard of Christians being called "Paulinians" before (because they tend to follow the teachings of Paul rather than Jesus).

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #315 on: December 25, 2008, 02:10:55 am »

Christianist

Went and looked it up.  Google is your friend.  From Wikipedia:

Dominionism describes, in several distinct ways, a tendency among some conservative politically-active Christians, especially in the United States of America, to seek influence or control over secular civil government through political action—aiming either at a nation governed by Christians, or a nation governed by a conservative Christian understanding of biblical law...

Some authors have used the terms "Christianism" or "Christianist" in place of "dominionism," a usage that began as early as 2003...By alluding to the term "Islamist," this usage is intended to evoke the spectre of theocracy and even terrorism (citing, for example, the notorious bomber Eric Rudolph). Journalist Ruth Walker discussed usage of the term to refer to political Christians in a 2005 Christian Science Monitor essay,and commentator Andrew Sullivan advocated "Christianist" as a label for the Christian Right in a 2006 column in Time.