Author Topic: Carving up the Two Old Birds  (Read 38713 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Carving up the Two Old Birds
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2013, 10:13:51 am »
Brava! Almost eight years since pot and kettle, blue and tan, wind and earth ... and you're still discovering great Brokaphors!

:laugh: I'm sure this Brokaphor has been discovered already but I don't recall a discussion of it. It makes sense though...gunpowder, explosion, fire, corresponds to Ennis and he was a good shot. The cool blue steel of a knife recalls Jack.

Likewise, a potato that grows hidden in the earth corresponds to Ennis. Jack is more like a coffee bean, or whiskey (which, in Gaelic, means water of life)

But if you want to get really deep into it, Ennis is the bread (or grain, like the barley growing outside the window in the last shot) and Jack is, what else? the wine.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2013, 02:37:17 pm »
Jack is more like a coffee bean

Hunh? But he's from Texas.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 09:23:30 pm »
haha! But only Alma thought that Texans don't drink coffee (get passionate). And she knew better too!

Actually, Jack drank plenty of coffee as well as whiskey. I remember the scene when he came off the mountain, sat down at the campfire, checked out the coffeepot and closed it with a snap of disappointment since it was empty.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2013, 04:17:15 pm »
haha! But only Alma thought that Texans don't drink coffee (get passionate). And she knew better too!

Right, even she didn't really think that. Her "Texans don't drink coffee?" was in the tone of, "Quit gaslighting me, dude."

Actually, Jack drank plenty of coffee as well as whiskey. I remember the scene when he came off the mountain, sat down at the campfire, checked out the coffeepot and closed it with a snap of disappointment since it was empty.

Well, sure, he's the coffee pot, right? Or is he the kettle? Ennis spends his life looking for the coffee-pot handle, but it's the kettle that almost gets away from him in the river.

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 11:19:40 am »
My discovery of "ruthlesslyunsemtimental" (and under his other names as well) has been one of the highlights of my time in BetteMost.  Does everyone "get it" when he starts in?  I crack up every time I read his work.  He should be required reading in every university literature and social science department on how not to write a scholarly paper.  Expressions like "send-up," "over-the-top," "cruel parody," just do not do him justice.  He is a real BetterMost treasure.  I wish you could collect his work in one topic site so it could be easily available for all to read.  Thank you, ruthlesslyunsentimental, for  brightening up our lives.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2014, 11:33:29 am »
Yes, Casey Cornelius and ruthlessly were like the prince and the fool here during the heyday of BetterMost. Glad you like reading their work! But I still think Ennis is the potato, not Jack.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2014, 04:51:58 pm »
x-men,

FYI -- Ruthlesslyunsentimental also posted under the name Guymadison in some of the archived IMDb threads.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40