[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C39jaCA82M0[/youtube]
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Ciao
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 03:22:15 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCBEh9sbwPM[/youtube]  ;)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »
That looks like it will be good--but sad!!!  :'(  Is it in theaters now?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 03:31:28 pm »
Looks like it opens the 5th of December, but propbably will just be in the big cities.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 03:34:09 pm »
Oh geez.....just what I need, another movie to cry at.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 04:10:56 pm »
I'll hold your hand Chuck.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp4rX8pbeAU&NR=1[/youtube]

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 04:14:25 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

injest

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 04:44:20 pm »
Oh bouy, the next tear jerker from here!, the folks that brought us Shelter:

CIAO

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C39jaCA82M0[/youtube]

oh no...another trip to Dallas I see in my future!!

it looks soooo good!

(love those hairy arms...roooF!)

and the story is very intriguing...should I research and learn MORE or should I wait and let it all unfold at the theatre!!??

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 05:54:35 pm »
I am researching, I may have to go to Dallas too!  :laugh:

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 06:01:48 pm »
How many hunks in that movie ?  So far, I can't count... so many ??

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 06:10:39 pm »

Thanks, Truman, I'll be seeing it as soon as I can.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 06:11:33 pm »
Can we get it on CD yet ?

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 06:15:38 pm »
Here's the official movie site with lots of stuff to click on:

http://www.ciaomovie.com/

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 06:16:50 pm »
Merci beaucoup !

Offline Fran

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 06:29:47 pm »
From the Ciao gallery:

Offline Fran

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 06:31:53 pm »

Offline Fran

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 06:33:43 pm »

Offline Artiste

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 06:34:45 pm »
Yes, merci !

And these pics are so wonderful !

I seem to known one actor.

Or is that wishing ?

Offline Fran

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 06:51:32 pm »
Artiste, something tells me that you're going to love this video, which is also from the film's website:

http://www.ciaomovie.com/#/biancoenero/4528033189

:)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 07:06:18 pm »
Merci, merci !!

Wow! Wow!!

We, gay men, need this beautiful film !!

Hugs, hugs!!

Offline Fran

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 07:28:15 pm »
From Yen Tan, Ciao’s co-writer and director:

Director’s Notes

THE BEGINNING
On May 2003, I received an e-mail from Alessandro Calza, a web designer in Genova, Italy. He wanted to tell me how much he had enjoyed my first feature film, Happy Birthday. This sparked off a series of long, platonic correspondences that continues to this day. It all seemed rather 84 Charing Cross Road; the Helene Hanff true-life novel that was then adapted into a film starring Anne Bancroft as the book-loving writer in New York City whose letters with a bookseller in London, played by Anthony Hopkins, spanned over two decades. Like Ms. Hanff and Frank Doel (albeit cruder and gayer), the e-mails between Alessandro and I seemed endless; conversations that went on and on about nothing and everything. We were like two friends chatting nonstop from dusk till dawn, occasionally sharing a favorite song via an MP3 attachment.

It wasn’t long before the idea struck me:  a simple story about two people who eventually meet after corresponding with each other over a period of time. There’s an Italian (Andrea) and an American (Mark). They write each other. They meet. They have witty conversations over candlelight dinners. A romantic comedy ensures? Something about this setup bugged me; it was too superficial, too lighthearted, too gag-inducing for my taste. But what if something happened to the American prior to their meeting? Like he died in a tragic car accident? Yes! Exit Mark, enter Jeff. Jeff was good friends with Mark and has no idea that Andrea, the foreigner, is coming to visit. We now have intrigue in the premise.

I bounded the initial draft off Alessandro. After all, I based Andrea on him and I wanted to avoid the Olivier Martinez cliché:  The American’s eroticized idea of the passionate European with an accent who can kiss and fuck like there’s no tomorrow. Which, in retrospect, was exactly the kind of Italian I presented in the first draft. As I got to know Alessandro better on a more personal level and spoke to him on the phone several times, I gradually refined the character, which consequently made me define the gist of the story even more. I came to realize that the film is about grief. It’s about the birth of a relationship upon the death of another.

Two years and ten drafts later, Ciao has been shaped into an emotionally astute screenplay about the incidental friendship between two strangers living in two different parts of the world. Their connection is linked by the unexpected loss of a mutual friend. One has been with him for many years; the other has never even met him, but may have gotten to know him on a more intimate level through the e-mails exchanged. How would these two people behave when they meet? What would they say to each other? In which ways do they mourn?

THE END
I’ve been meaning to keep a daily journal through production but alas, physical and mental exhaustion have prevented me from partaking in the ritual. There was a tad of laziness involved also, but hey, a man can only work so hard.

Returning to the day job has been difficult and surreal. Difficult because life doesn’t feel the same anymore. Surreal because everything that happened before seemed like a distant dream.

We wrapped on a Friday morning, shooting the pivotal love scene between Jeff and Andrea that turned out marvelously. I won’t go into details about what took place but I was quite enamored and entranced by what I witnessed. The moment I recall vividly occurred right after we rolled the first take and before I yelled "action!" I had requested that we play a two-minute excerpt from Aphex Twin’s Nanou 2, with the idea of setting a tone for the actors. Adam had his eyes closed; Alessandro was watching him. At one point, Alessandro reached his hand over to fix a crease on Adam’s tank top. It was an unexpectedly maternal gesture that accentuated what followed. I was profoundly moved.

Over the weekend, I went back to unit 7, he condo we rented out to shoot a majority of the film in, for some cleaning and tidying before we turned the keys back. Alessandro assisted me later to take out bag loads of trash that accumulated over the past three weeks. We sat in the living room after and talked. Everything we said boiled down to “this is sad.” It was sad. Production was over. People have gone back home. And all there was left is emptiness.

One of the unexpected stylistic elements that I discovered in the course of filming was my fascination with the negative space. It was very Ozuesque:  a sense of not wanting to leave the environment we were in. I did this in numerous scenes; requesting the actors delay their action in entering the frame at the beginning of the shot or not cutting the end of it until the actors have cleared the frame for several seconds after. None of this really caught up with me emotionally until I returned to unit 7 again. That was when it all clicked. The theme of the film became crystal clear:  it was about our yearning to stay. To remain. To never part.

As much as I thought I was gonna collapse in the strenuous midst of production, I didn’t really want this whole experience to end. Something about the idea of moving on really disturbs me now. One morning in week two, I woke up with a pillow held tightly in my arms. I believed I cried in my sleep the night before. I still don’t know what I was holding onto.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 07:31:58 pm »
Merci encore !

So very, very interesting !

More please !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Fran

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2008, 07:37:55 pm »

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 07:40:57 pm »
That pic, doesn't that remind you of Ennis or Jack ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 08:00:23 pm »
Maybe Brokeback Mountain movie, can be compared, with this film: Ciao ?

But where did I meet one of those actors ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 08:04:35 pm »
Have you seen this poster of this wonderful movie Ciao ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2008, 08:12:09 pm »
        Written by Jan     
Friday, 12 September 2008 

Ciao is directed and written by Malaysian-born filmmaker Yen Tan, starring a leading cast which include Italian actor and co-writer Alessandro Calza, actor Adam Neal Smith who is also a vocalist in the LA based band The Ethels, and Chuck Blaum who portrays Mark in the film. The film has played at a number of film festivals including the Outfest Film Festival and AFI Dallas Film Festival, where it won an Honorable Mention. Check out an indepth account of how the film all came about, from the director Yen Tan HERE. Ciao's release date in theatres is scheduled for November 14, 2008.

Ciao producer, Jim McMahon blogged during the filming in 2006, which makes for some interesting reading and never before seen photos. Check out the producers 2006 blog titled, "Ciao: A Tale of Love" HERE.

A man dies very unexpectedly and leaves behind two men: Jeff, his best friend and Andrea, an Italian he’s been corresponding with online. Jeff informs Andrea of Mark’s passing; Andrea writes back to express his shock and sympathies. On a whim, they continue their correspondence and a rapport grows between them. They eventually meet, where they extend their e-mail exchanges into more personal and intimate conversations. They talk about their respective countries, their jobs, their families, their lives. Mostly, they talk about Mark. What began as a tragedy that linked two strangers from different ends of the world becomes a deeply realized friendship that may change their lives forever.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2008, 08:42:10 pm »
Thsi Ciao was filmed in TEXAS !

Isn't that great !

Offline Artiste

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 07:51:07 pm »
What hunks as actors !

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 06:52:14 pm »

Ciao is opening this week in New York:

Friday, December 5, 2008, at the Landmark Sunshine Cinema on Houston Street
http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/NewYork/NewYork_frameset.htm

When a man dies very unexpectedly he leaves behind two men: Jeff (Adam Neal Smith),
his best friend, and Andrea (co-writer Alessandro Calza), an Italian he's been corresponding with online.
Jeff informs Andrea of Mark's passing; Andrea writes back to express his shock and sympathies.
On a whim, they continue their correspondence and a rapport grows between them.
They eventually meet, where they extend their e-mail exchanges into more personal and intimate conversations.
They talk about their respective countries, their jobs, their families, their lives. Mostly, they talk about Mark.
What began as a tragedy that linked two strangers from different ends of the world
becomes a deeply realized friendship that may change their lives forever.

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 07:56:10 pm »
Lucky you since you can see it in NYC !

Wish I was there too, back at my art studio there and I would rush to be the second in line after toi !!

retropian

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 08:18:34 pm »
I remember it got good notices at afterelton.com some time ago. I had forgotten all about it. I hope it's good.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2008, 08:36:38 pm »
Merci retropian !

I am happy that you mention that !

Can you re-find that and post it here, please ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 11:36:36 pm »
Seems we're gettin' it in San Francisco and Berkeley on 12/12.  No word on San Jose yet.  >:(

What concerns me is the Landmark Theatres website says "One Week Only".  That usually does not mean good.  It's studio is Here! Films so probably look for it on their pay per view in January.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2008, 12:09:38 am »
I wish I was in San Francisco to see it ! I always enjoyed living in the 3 main gays areas there !!!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2008, 01:58:10 am »

Dear friends,

I have now seen 'Ciao' and I loved it.

I think it is something really unique. It is very quiet and slow. It is very realistic, yet very, very delicate and poetic. It is a young filmmaker's film, solemn, but not precious, truly artistic, but not 'arty.' And it is very sad. It may not be for everyone. It may not even be for every gay and lesbian filmgoer. But me--I was rapt.

The photography is gorgeous--seriously so. The actors are beautiful, yes, but they are believable. The situation, itself, may at first be a bit artificial, stagy, but as the modest, economical story develops, it becomes more and more real--painfully so.

The dialogue does seem stilted at first, but slowly you realize that the situation is actually awkward, the characters have just met, and their awkward dialogue is real. Their speech becomes relaxed and believeably fluent as they become more comfortable with one another. Their faces, already beautiful, filling the screen, slowly open like flowers.

The faces! The eyes! Like Bergman. By sheer coincidence, I sat in the back of the theater. I was so happy I did--because so many of the close, close, closeups really allowed me to watch the faces rather than look at an ear or a nose.

The director had the courage to hold the camera, at certain points, without edit or pan, and keep it still, for long, long moments, and look at a tree or an empty room as the two characters talked "inconsequentially" off screen. The music is spare, a chord here, a note there, or just--silent.

Obviously, I can really have a high tolerance for slow, quiet films, and this may not be your cup of tea, BUT--one of my latest fave raves is Danny Boyle's 'Slumdog Millionaire,' which is an energetic, fast-paced, high-spirited riot of color and movement and sound teeming with dramatic, picaresque characters in far-fetched situations, so--try and give quiet 'Ciao' a chance--I really, really love it.

Unfortunately, 'Ciao' may not get that chance. I went to see the Saturday 7:30pm screening--and there were barely 40 people in the theater.  Then one old man, bored, walked out. (Too bad for him, he just missed the hottest kiss (kisses) of any screen anywhere.) Then about half the audience left quickly during the closing credits.

Sigh. They may not have realized that the 7:30 screening was followed by a Q&A with the director, Yen Tan. He is small and slight and very quick-witted and self-deprecating and polite and, yes, apologetic. He wryly said that he had first planned to make this a fast, funny comedy (literally), but the material and the co-writer and actor, Alessandro Calza (Andrea), dictated otherwise. He apologized saying that he, himself, might have been a little indulgent in holding a beat here or there a bit too long--so I spoke up and said I loved the silences and the rhythms of the film, and he thanked me with real sincerity.

Sorry, didn't mean to be long-winded. I'll just mention--one scene towards the end of the film may resonate strongly with many Brokies: on their last night, Jeff (Adam Neal Smith), takes Andrea out to a bar with a western theme (it is in Dallas) and, with dialogue totally masked by the music, they now finally talk easily, as the cowboy hatted crowd in the foreground dance. Silent, but eloquent. It's one of MY favorite images of 'Ciao.'

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:46:33 am by jmmgallagher »

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2008, 03:13:30 am »
Thanks for that, John!  :)

Forgive me but, OMG, Alessandro Calza is so HOT!  ::)  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2008, 09:44:26 am »

It takes a village (and a lot of love and artifice and commitment and truth) to make a beautiful movie!

http://ciaodallas.blogspot.com/

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2008, 10:21:42 am »

From Ciao:

Adam Neal Smith (Jeff) and Ethel Lung (Jeff's step-sister Lauren) are two-thirds of the band 'The Ethels.'

Nice music!

http://www.myspace.com/theethels

About the ethels
The Ethels formed in the summer of 2002 in the upstairs bedroom of Adam's mom's house in Fort Worth, Texas. At the time we had an acoustic guitar and a $15 drumset designed for a child (ages 2-5). We wrote our first song in about 20 minutes, and with that, we were a band. A few weeks later we upgraded our gear (not by much) and played at Tom Prejean's open mic at Club Dada in Deep Ellum, Dallas. After a 15 minute set, Tom told us to keep playing. Unfortunately, we didn't know any more songs, so there was no encore. The following month, Ethel relocated to Los Angeles and Adam followed shortly thereafter. At a Halloween party in October of 2002 we met Gordon Bash, who plays bass for Mankind is Obsolete and for Marty and Elayne at the Dresden Room in Los Angeles. He came to one of our shows and offered to record a demo for us in the summer of 2003. We continued to play shows in and around LA, but the band decided to take a hiatus in the summer of 2004 to focus on other avenues. After a year of rest, Gordon joined the band as our bass player. Our first full-length album "Field Trip to Cakeland" is available at CDBaby.com and ITunes.com. We are old enough to be our parents. 

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2008, 12:32:45 pm »
 jmmgallagher merci beaucoup !! Wow, may I have such elogance in words about my paintings as you do write here, showing that you are an Artiste[/color] too (and may I copy that and send it to friends as you said:

Dear friends,

I have now seen 'Ciao' and I loved it.

I think it is something really unique. It is very quiet and slow. It is very realistic, yet very, very delicate and poetic. It is a young filmmaker's film, solemn, but not precious, truly artistic, but not 'arty.' And it is very sad. It may not be for everyone. It may not even be for every gay and lesbian filmgoer. But me--I was rapt.

The photography is gorgeous--seriously so. The actors are beautiful, yes, but they are believable. The situation, itself, may at first be a bit artificial, stagy, but as the modest, economical story develops, it becomes more and more real--painfully so.

The dialogue does seem stilted at first, but slowly you realize that the situation is actually awkward, the characters have just met, and their awkward dialogue is real. Their speech becomes relaxed and believeably fluent as they become more comfortable with one another. Their faces, already beautiful, filling the screen, slowly open like flowers.

The faces! The eyes! Like Bergman. By sheer coincidence, I sat in the back of the theater. I was so happy I did--because so many of the close, close, closeups really allowed me to watch the faces rather than look at an ear or a nose.

The director had the courage to hold the camera, at certain points, without edit or pan, and keep it still, for long, long moments, and look at a tree or an empty room as the two characters talked "inconsequentially" off screen. The music is spare, a chord here, a note there, or just--silent.

Obviously, I can really have a high tolerance for slow, quiet films, and this may not be your cup of tea, BUT--one of my latest fave raves is Danny Boyle's 'Slumdog Millionaire,' which is an energetic, fast-paced, high-spirited riot of color and movement and sound teeming with dramatic, picaresque characters in far-fetched situations, so--try and give quiet 'Ciao' a chance--I really, really love it.

Unfortunately, 'Ciao' may not get that chance. I went to see the Saturday 7:30pm screening--and there were barely 40 people in the theater.  Then one old man, bored, walked out. (Too bad for him, he just missed the hottest kiss (kisses) of any screen anywhere.) Then about half the audience left quickly during the closing credits.

Sigh. They may not have realized that the 7:30 screening was followed by a Q&A with the director, Yen Tan. He is small and slight and very quick-witted and self-deprecating and polite and, yes, apologetic. He wryly said that he had first planned to make this a fast, funny comedy (literally), but the material and the co-writer and actor, Alessandro Calza (Andrea), dictated otherwise. He apologized saying that he, himself, might have been a little indulgent in holding a beat here or there a bit too long--so I spoke up and said I loved the silences and the rhythms of the film, and he thanked me with real sincerity.

Sorry, didn't mean to be long-winded. I'll just mention--one scene towards the end of the film may resonate strongly with many Brokies: on their last night, Jeff (Adam Neal Smith), takes Andrea out to a bar with a western theme (it is in Dallas) and, with dialogue totally masked by the music, they now finally talk easily, as the cowboy hatted crowd in the foreground dance. Silent, but eloquent. It's one of MY favorite images of 'Ciao.'

You write heavenly !

Love it! Love it! Love it!

More please... did you get their addresses so we can contact them and encourage them,
au revoir,
hugs!

You merit flowers and more for this wonderful composition      jmmgallagher, our Annie you are              !

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2008, 10:32:01 pm »

jmmgallagher merci beaucoup !! Wow, may I have such elogance in words about my paintings as you do write here, showing that you are an Artiste[/color] too (and may I copy that and send it to friends More please... did you get their addresses so we can contact them and encourage themau revoir,
hugs!

Gosh, thanks, Artiste, but my written speech is too halting, partly due to aphasia, and partly--well, too much enthusiasm.

Unfortunately, the 'professional' reviewers (two below) didn't do so well. Sad.

I'm glad I was able to say directly to the director, Yen Tan, that I thought his movie was beautiful and I believe that he appreciated it. If I find a production office address, I'll post it.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/12/05/movies/05ciao.html?ref=movies

Movie Review
Ciao (2007)

Adam Neal Smith and Alessandro Calza in "Ciao," directed by Yen Tan.

Two Lives After Death

By MANOHLA DARGIS
Published: December 5, 2008

Deeply sincere and exceedingly slow even at 87 minutes, “Ciao” involves two strangers — Adam Neal Smith as Jeff and Alessandro Calza as Andrea — who become acquaintances after the death of a mutual friend. Directed by Yen Tan, who wrote the screenplay with Mr. Calza, the story takes off (slowly) shortly after the mutual friend, Mark (Charles W. Blaum), dies in an accident. Jeff mourns, largely by staring off into space under the fixed gaze of Mr. Tan’s stationary camera. The movie picks up somewhat with the introduction of Andrea, an Italian who hoped to consummate his and Mark’s online flirtation with a visit to the States. Jeff suggests that Andrea stick to his travel plans. He does, and you can guess the rest.

Shot in muddy video, “Ciao” weds a story that sounds (and often plays) like a pornographic quickie with a torturously ambitious visual style. Though it’s a bit of a relief that someone in American independent cinema apparently knows how to use a tripod, Mr. Tan has only traded one contemporary visual cliché (dribbling camerawork) for another (the art-house long shot).

But holding a shot until the cows come home, are milked dry and put out to pasture once again does not an art movie make. The shot has to have dynamism, tension, graphic interest, beauty, purpose, passion. It has to vibrate like a living thing. It has to make the audience want to dig into the image and live in it (or at least visit it), not flee.

“Ciao” is rated R (Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian). Sexual themes.

CIAO

Opens on Friday in Manhattan.

Directed by Yen Tan; written by Mr. Tan and Alessandro Calza; director of photography, Michael Victor Roy; edited by David Patrick Lowery; music by Stephan Altman; production designer, Claire Floyd DeVries; produced by Jim McMahon, Adam Neal Smith, Mr. Calza, Charles W. Blaum, Ethel Lung, John S. Boles and Margaret Lake; released by Regent Releasing and Here! Films. At the Landmark’s Sunshine Cinema, 139-143 East Houston Street, East Village. Running time: 1 hour 27 minutes. WITH: Charles W. Blaum (Mark), Adam Neal Smith (Jeff), John S. Boles (Larry), Margaret Lake (Margaret), Tiffany Vollmer (Doctor) and Alessandro Calza (Andrea).

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 10:47:20 pm »

This review in Variety is a bit better than the one in the New York Times.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117937589.html?categoryid=31&cs=1

NewFest
Ciao
By RONNIE SCHEIB

An Unauthorized production. Produced by Jim McMahon. Co-producers, James M. Johnston, David Patrick Lowery. Directed by Yen Tan. Screenplay, Tan, Alessandro Calza.

With: Adam Neal Smith, Alessandro Calza, Ethel Lung, Charles W. Blaum.

(English, Italian dialogue)

A contemplative grace note in NewFest's raucous chorus of self-affirmation, this muted two-hander traces a three-day mourning interlude linking a dead man's lifelong platonic pal to the deceased's Italian lover-in-waiting. Helmer Yen Tan ("Happy Birthday" ) relies on the contrasting thesping styles of the two leads and a cool, minimalist aesthetic (fixed camera placements within emptying frames) to flesh out his mood piece's slender plot. As full of sexual tension as it is devoid of sexual activity, "Ciao" qualifies as a quietly charged change of pace for the gay fest circuit.

After the sudden death of his best friend Mark, it falls to Jeff (Adam Neal Smith) to put his affairs in order. Discovering that Mark had been conducting an extended, intimate email relationship with a Web designer named Andrea (Alessandro Calza) who was about to come to Dallas, Texas, to meet Mark for the first time, Jeff writes to inform Andrea of Mark's demise and head him off at the pass. Upon reflection, however, he invites Andrea to come to Dallas anyway.

Linked by death, the two men explore previously unknown aspects of Mark previously and, gradually, the strength of their mutual attraction to Mark shifts gears, going beyond concern about the departed middleman to focus directly on their own revved-up (if funereally tinged) chemistry.

Helmer/co-scripter Tan conceives of his two characters as complementing each other within a minor key. Thus, Jeff, an investment banker, reads as a composed, almost emotionally shut-down chap, whether by nature or in reaction to Mark's death or by some combination of both never quite made clear. Indeed, Tan pairs Jeff with female confidante Lauren (Ethel Lung) in certain scenes so he can elucidate his otherwise unspoken feelings.

Andrea, being Italian, necessarily comes off as more expansive (it would be difficult to appear less), albeit in a gentle, comforting way that's at odds with his blatant sexiness: He infuses every situation with a serene acceptance that always seems poised to turn into something far more sensual. Thesping successfully conveys more through silences than through dialogue, though Calza, who co-scripted, phrases his English lines with seductive sensitivity.

Tech credits are above average. Clare Floyd DeVries' subdued production design matches Jeff's quasi-sterile orderliness, while leaving plenty of room for the sexual promise quivering in the air.

Camera (color, HD), Michael Victor Roy; editor, Lowery; music, Stephan Altman; music supervisor, Glen Walsh; production designer, Clare Floyd DeVries; sound designer, Samuel Casas. Reviewed at NewFest, New York, June 8, 2008. (Also in San Francisco Lesbian & Gay Film Festival.) Running time: 87 MIN.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2008, 11:11:49 pm »

And people we wish they hadn't bothered....

Ugh. Just stupid.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2008-12-03/film/ciao-offers-no-shots-of-dick-or-ass-crack/

Tracking Shots
Ciao, a Gay Amerindie Without Dick or Ass-Crack

By Ed Gonzalez
Tuesday, December 2nd 2008 at 1:30pm

Compared to the likes of Another Gay Sequel: Gays Gone Wild, the willfully contrarian Ciao is practically Syndromes and a Century. There are no shots of dick or ass-crack, no special appearances by Sally Kirkland or Lady Bunny, no references to Mommie Dearest, and the lead character goes to the doctor not to discover he's HIV-positive but merely that he has a skin tag under one of his pits—a benign one at that. Which is one way to diagnose this drama about a handsome Italian who travels to Dallas—not West Hollywood—to visit the best friend of a man he was wooing online but who recently died in a car accident. Jeff (Adam Neal Smith) and Andrea (Alessandro Calza) get to know each other across the span of a single weekend, bonding over their wants and misgivings and memories of the deceased Mark. The cross-cultural jibber-jabber that often frames their chats will strike a nerve of recognition for queers who prefer dinner parties to tweaking, but like the symmetrical shot of the alleyway outside Jeff's home, or the bowl of fruit that appears in the background of one of Jeff and Mark's heart-to-hearts, the film's calculatingly minimalist style is in many ways as affected as all the gay Amerindie films at which writer-director Yen Tan snottily thumbs his nose.

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2008, 11:14:32 pm »
Jmmgallagher, I love your composition with as you say it's        halting... and enthusiasm.          

You can do some of that for me any time... as you write so beautifully, which spirits me to read it and see the movie !!

Sure wish you wrote like that for my paintings I created !!

More of your praise for that movie... please.

Au revoir,
hugs! You merit many flowers as your Oscar !!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2008, 11:40:05 pm »
Jmmgallagher, you agre with with what is said above:  Ciao...      the film's (is) calculatingly minimalist style          ?

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2008, 12:07:51 am »
Thank kew John for the wonderful review. I am really looking forward to seeing this.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2008, 07:54:45 pm »
More news about it ... please !

Your posts are wonderful !!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2008, 09:35:34 pm »
I long to see this great movie !

And more of your ideas on it too !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2008, 10:26:51 pm »
Might contain brief spoilers..

Well I saw Ciao today.  Had to go up to Berkeley to see it.  They are unfortunately only showing it for three days, Friday through Sunday.  ???  In all my movie going years, I've never seen or heard of such a thing. 

Basically, they projected a DVD on the screen.  ::)  I guess this is the new way to deliver "low-fare" gay movies now a days, right before they go to pay per view on Here! networks.  The majority of theatres across the country would never book such a movie, and really, to reach the target audience, pay per view is really the way to go.  I am glad though, that I live near an area where I'm given the choice to go see it in a theatre, even if it's a DVD projected.

And well, as far as the movie goes, I echo everything jmmgallagher says about the movie.  I loved it.  For many different reasons.  Actually, reading that review above from the Village Voice about "a Gay Amerindie Without Dick or Ass-Crack", OMG, I really have to laugh.  They are like the people who saw Brokeback Mountain and "didn't get it".  They certainley did not understand this movie.  Actually, for everything they dismiss, I think is why I liked the movie!   It's not the same ol' washed up West Hollywood AIDS drama.  This is very different.  It deals with the human emotions of death and loss, and also heartbreak.  Oh man, the heartbreak is truly gut-wrenching.  :'(  Also, the men are very attractive to me too, but I can see them not being attractive to some Weho Twinkie, and for that reason, maybe that's why I connected with and understood the movie, and they didn't.  *Spoiler* We do see a video of the deceased, and wow, what a hottie.  I certainly see what the both of them saw in him.  A Weho twinkie would definitely not.  :laugh:  I also liked that the story was located in Dallas, and they shot it in Dallas.  Of all my travels of recent, Dallas and Fort Worth were my favorite cities I visited.  I feel at home there (and I can't explain why), and seeing the shots of the Dallas skyline were very enjoyable for me.  Also the scene with them in the bar was shot at the Gay Country Western bar there called The Round-Up Saloon.

Yes, the movie is very quiet and slow moving.  But the pace is perfect I think.  I actually do think it would be better on pay per view or DVD rental at home.  In the theatre today (about 25 people in the audience) you could hear all the rustling of jackets, popcorn bags, whispering, etc.  Although I liked seeing it on a big screen (on DVD!), I will also enjoy it at home when available, with no distractions.

Highly recommended from this Brokie. 4 Stars out of 4 Stars!  :D

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2008, 12:37:21 pm »

Might contain brief spoilers..

Well I saw Ciao today.  Had to go up to Berkeley to see it.  They are unfortunately only showing it for three days, Friday through Sunday.  ???  In all my movie going years, I've never seen or heard of such a thing. 

Basically, they projected a DVD on the screen.  ::)  I guess this is the new way to deliver "low-fare" gay movies now a days, right before they go to pay per view on Here! networks.  The majority of theatres across the country would never book such a movie, and really, to reach the target audience, pay per view is really the way to go.  I am glad though, that I live near an area where I'm given the choice to go see it in a theatre, even if it's a DVD projected.

And well, as far as the movie goes, I echo everything jmmgallagher says about the movie.  I loved it.  For many different reasons.  Actually, reading that review above from the Village Voice about "a Gay Amerindie Without Dick or Ass-Crack", OMG, I really have to laugh.  They are like the people who saw Brokeback Mountain and "didn't get it".  They certainley did not understand this movie.  Actually, for everything they dismiss, I think is why I liked the movie!   It's not the same ol' washed up West Hollywood AIDS drama.  This is very different.  It deals with the human emotions of death and loss, and also heartbreak.  Oh man, the heartbreak is truly gut-wrenching.  :'(  Also, the men are very attractive to me too, but I can see them not being attractive to some Weho Twinkie, and for that reason, maybe that's why I connected with and understood the movie, and they didn't.  *Spoiler* We do see a video of the deceased, and wow, what a hottie.  I certainly see what the both of them saw in him.  A Weho twinkie would definitely not.  :laugh:  I also liked that the story was located in Dallas, and they shot it in Dallas.  Of all my travels of recent, Dallas and Fort Worth were my favorite cities I visited.  I feel at home there (and I can't explain why), and seeing the shots of the Dallas skyline were very enjoyable for me.  Also the scene with them in the bar was shot at the Gay Country Western bar there called The Round-Up Saloon.

Yes, the movie is very quiet and slow moving.  But the pace is perfect I think.  I actually do think it would be better on pay per view or DVD rental at home.  In the theatre today (about 25 people in the audience) you could hear all the rustling of jackets, popcorn bags, whispering, etc.  Although I liked seeing it on a big screen (on DVD!), I will also enjoy it at home when available, with no distractions.

Highly recommended from this Brokie. 4 Stars out of 4 Stars!  :D

Great review, Eric. Thank you.

I am also glad you mention the third character, Mark. (The third character of the triangle, anyway; Lauren is the fourth character. Mark's sad, nearly mute parents are shadows.)

I certainly don't think you have given anyone any spoilers in re: the video clip of Mark that Andrea shows Jeff towards the end of the film.

I will also say that Mark (Charles W. Blaum), who really is a hottie (the production stills do not give him justice) has a gorgeous Texas twang. And endearingly, he sings. In only a minute or two, the viewer gets the whole sense of a character, a person, whose life has been suddenly taken--tragically.

There is something else I wish I could say, though, about Mark, a series of quick, silent images at the very end of the film, and--but that gets too close to being a spoiler.

Sad, sad movie. And very beautiful. See it if you can.

John

"Camping Out"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2008, 01:07:38 pm »

I will also say that Mark (Charles W. Blaum), who really is a hottie (the production stills do not give him justice) has a gorgeous Texas twang. And endearingly, he sings. In only a minute or two, the viewer gets the whole sense of a character, a person, whose life has been suddenly taken--tragically.

Spot on!

There is something else I wish I could say, though, about Mark, a series of quick, silent images at the very end of the film, and--but that gets too close to being a spoiler.

Send me a PM about what you wish you could say then.  Without giving any spoilers, I thought the ending brought the story all complete, and we realize everything then.  I actually started crying.

I'd also like to say the music in the movie was perfect.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2008, 02:19:35 pm »

Send me a PM about what you wish you could say then.  Without giving any spoilers, I thought the ending brought the story all complete, and we realize everything then.  I actually started crying.

Re the PM, done. In re crying: I'm a cryer-after-the-fact; day or two later, I'm thinking about something, then--wham!

I'd also like to say the music in the movie was perfect.

I agree. Also: the production design: perfect. It was not only really, really attractive--the condo was very cleverly designed to be sterile, just like Jeff's emotions were blocked. Arid. The reason why Jeff and Mark had never had a relationship (the Financial Planner, don't you know).

Lots of layers here, and not tacked on. Integral. Clever. Rich.  Good people, good work.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 04:17:09 pm by jmmgallagher »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2008, 04:46:44 pm »

Thanks for that, John!  :)
Forgive me but, OMG, Alessandro Calza is so HOT!  ::)  :-\

A bit late in replying, but--yes, Jeff, he is!

Mr. Calza isn't only hot, he is very, very smart.  He is (I think) an architect, a graphic designer, a photographer, you name it. He also creates uniquely interesting websites--I don't think I have found all of them, but he is a very, uh, complex personality!

Try here:

http://www.ahunter.org/

and go here, to one of his slideshows ("BAUER MCDC Supreme," Studio, May 2007, http://www.ahunter.org/html/bauer.htm , it's a fantasy, I think )--

see the 6th or 7th image in--

Oh my!

The Village Voice may have to revise that review (about that 'wisecrack,' if you know what I mean.... ::) )

Also 'Sardinia June 2006,' a musical photo album of his 'holiday snaps.'
http://www.ahunter.org/web/html/sardinia2.htm

Whew! (And on image number 40, he uses one of my overused words: 'WOOF!' in re someone he spies on a nearby boat--ha! Also, see images 43, 45, 46, 55, 56. Ahem.)

For a series of nude images of Alesandro (b+w), go here:
(Hail the NU Electro with music Suicide Tough Guy)
http://www.ahunter.org/web/html/hail.htm

Gosh, I love smart gorgeous men!

;D

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2008, 05:30:33 pm »
I sure enjoy reading your posts you guys!

Wow ! Wow!

And since:
         Mr. Calza isn't only hot, he is very, very smart.  He is (I think) an architect, a graphic designer, a photographer, you name it. He also creates uniquely interesting websites--I don't think I have found all of them, but he is a very, uh, complex personality!

Can you mention one or two urls
or more to name those websites he created, since I want to look
please !

Au revoir,
hugs!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2008, 05:41:41 pm »

Here's the 'architect'--

Sorry--I have to go and take a cold shower now!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2008, 05:43:50 pm »

Ok, one more:

;D

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2008, 06:02:22 pm »

Wow ! Wow!
Can you mention one or two urls
or more to name those websites he created, since I want to look
please !
Au revoir,
hugs!

But of course! What friends are for?  ;D

http://profiles.friendster.com/26541772

Alessandro Calza

Male, 37, In a Relationship
Interested In: Dating Men, Relationship with Men, Friends
Hometown: Genova
Alessandro's URL:
http://profiles.friendster.com/ahunter

Graphic Designer

Affiliations:

(ABC) ANTI BLOG COMMITTEE

About Me:

I am currently in Dallas shooting a supercool indie movie called CIAO from director Yen Tan and producer Jim McMahon. Take a look at his sweet blog with news and pics www.ciaomovie.com

Teaser website is coming soon!

I have more pics and videos on my website www.ahunter.org

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2008, 06:12:09 pm »

OT, in a sense, but this is photo of Alessandro's friend:

Well, if that ain't art, I don't know what is!

(Now I wonder--does he like beards??  ::)

Eric should like that!)

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2008, 06:43:01 pm »
Wow, wow, wow, oh wow!!!!

You made my day!

HAPPY !

He looks so familiar... as if I know him! Guess, I am xdreaming ?

S.V.P., plus images...

au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2008, 06:51:27 pm »
Where is the:

Ok, one more:

I can't see it !

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2008, 06:54:36 pm »

No? That's tragic!

Try:

http://www.friendster.com/photos/26541772/242975985/14247

See it now? It's classic!

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2008, 06:59:17 pm »
My God, don't you wish to touch him ?

He sure is fortunate to have that handsome body and face !!

So, he is now millionaire? Tu penses?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2008, 07:08:26 pm »
Merci beaucoup !

I look at that and when I saw 3rd image, I know that that site closed, likely because many are looking at it?

Any more pics of he ?

Or of another actor in Ciao ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2008, 07:17:19 pm »

I don't know if he's (now) rich--of course, one wishes that good people are rewarded, but who knows!

I will say that once one sees this film, one senses a vibe about Alessandro, the person, rather than only about 'Andrea,' the character.
He seems to be a good person.

From Yen Tan, Ciao’s co-writer and director:

Director’s Notes

We wrapped on a Friday morning, shooting the pivotal love scene between Jeff and Andrea that turned out marvelously. I won’t go into details about what took place but I was quite enamored and entranced by what I witnessed. The moment I recall vividly occurred right after we rolled the first take and before I yelled "action!" I had requested that we play a two-minute excerpt from Aphex Twin’s Nanou 2, with the idea of setting a tone for the actors. Adam had his eyes closed; Alessandro was watching him. At one point, Alessandro reached his hand over to fix a crease on Adam’s tank top. It was an unexpectedly maternal gesture that accentuated what followed. I was profoundly moved.

I get the feeling that Yen fell in love with Alessandro, a bit. I can say why.

Can't wait for the DVD to come out!

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2008, 07:25:16 pm »
Merci !

I feel like you do... finding him an amiable person!

I am also      enamored      by him and the others!

Do you wish, like I do, that he continues acting ?

Or did he start another rmovie ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2008, 07:41:35 pm »
Nouvelles sur les autres acteurs ?

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2008, 09:00:24 pm »
OT, in a sense, but this is photo of Alessandro's friend:

Well, if that ain't art, I don't know what is!

(Now I wonder--does he like beards??  ::)

Eric should like that!)

I know what I want for Xmess! (The bathrobe)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2008, 09:02:20 pm »
Thank kew guys for posting these reviews, OMG I can't wait to see it for myself now. Will probably be when it comes out on DVD. Sigh.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2008, 09:29:41 pm »
Wow ! What a great surprise !

May there be more !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2008, 11:44:01 pm »
Any information about the actor:        Adam Neal Smith              ?

I have looked on many sites and can't find.

He's the one in the red shirt as Jeff being hugged by Andrea !

Au revoir,
hugs!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2008, 11:58:51 pm »

http://www.hdfest.com/Gerald/ciao.html

Gerald Wright's Movie Coverage

CIAO MOVIE REVIEW

http://www.hdfest.com/Gerald/ciao.jpg

Directed by: Yen Tan
Running time : 87 minutes
Release date: December 5, 2008
Genre: Drama, Art/Foreign (In English/Italian/Mandarin with English subtitles)
Distributor: Regent Releasing
MPAA Rating: R
Format: HDCam, Digital Betacam (U.S.)

CIAO is a tale of love involving a gay atmosphere, death, and the making of a sincere friendship from the origins of an online chat. The setting is Dallas, Texas--Mark (Chuck Blaum) dies in a car accident, and his best friend Jeff (Adam Neal Smith) is left to mourn. While Jeff mourns Mark's death and thinks about his close relationship with the late Mark, a carefree and warm-hearted gay man, Jeff checks the inbox on Mark's computer and stumbles across an online romance between him and an Italian named Andrea (Alessandro Calza). Jeff in a whim decides to correspond and exchange emails with Andrea and inform him of Mark's death.

The story develops as Jeff and Andrea exchange personal information about each other. A rapport grows and the film moves into a very sensitive and sincere film. The nature of the plot explores how Mark's life touched everyone. This is when the small cast exploit their brilliant and truly genuine performances. Andrea had planned a trip to Dallas to meet Mark personally. Jeff invites Andrea to Texas and a gentle pace in their relationship begins. The scenes move quickly with interactions with Jeff's stepsister Lauren (Ethel Lung) who is the only family member that lives near him. She consoles him as he reflects on his late best friends' life. All the while, Jeff finds a strong fondness for Andrea.

Over a short period of time during Andrea's visit, the film explores the witty conversations between the two men. Jeff, an American, is a reserved person and Andrea, an Italian, is a worldly wise young man. The opposites attract and their strong bond is linked to a tragic death.

It is hard to believe this light hearted story is also a story of grief, because gradually the plot takes the audience into a birth of a relationship upon the death of another. One of the unexpected stylistic elements of this fine movie is the fascinating technique the director employs in which he uses negative space in numerous scenes. This technique gives the actors more dialogue and more exposure to the camera. The theme of the film became clear it would be an emphasis of intimacy.

This a very thoughtful film with fine performances and has a clear message that often death brings new horizons to life.

FILM RATING (B-)

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2008, 12:01:46 am »
Ciao got honorable mention in Dallas:

HONORABLE MENTION: CIAO
DIR: Yen Tan (USA)
Starring: Adam Neal Smith, Alessandro Calza, Ethel Lung             

http://www.indiewire.com/ots/2008/04/festivals_afi_d.html

Did you hear or post ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2008, 12:04:23 am »
Is this      Adam Neal Smith             , first time acting in a movie ?

I can not find his biography!

Do you know?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2008, 12:06:34 am »
Guest, I see that you are posting!

You need to be a member to do so!

Binevenue, that's welcome!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2008, 12:38:35 am »
Any information about the actor:        Adam Neal Smith              ?

I have looked on many sites and can't find.

He's the one in the red shirt as Jeff being hugged by Andrea !

Au revoir,
hugs!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1124861/

Adam Neal Smith

Overview
Trivia:
Is a member of the Los Angeles based band The Ethels .
NewsDesk: Ciao
(From New York Post. 4 December 2008, 9:29 PM, PST)

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12052008/entertainment/movies/ciao_142677.htm

Alternate Names: Adam Smith

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filmography

Actor:
Ciao (2008) .... Jeff
Cowboys & Indians (2004) .... Father
Night Without Justice (2004) (as Adam Smith) .... FBI Agent Anderson
Snap (2002) (as Adam Smith) .... Winders

Composer:
"The Mortified Shoebox Show" (2006) TV series
Callback (2005/II)

From Ciao:

Adam Neal Smith (Jeff) and Ethel Lung (Jeff's step-sister Lauren) are two-thirds of the band 'The Ethels.'

Nice music!

http://www.myspace.com/theethels

About the ethels
The Ethels formed in the summer of 2002 in the upstairs bedroom of Adam's mom's house in Fort Worth, Texas. At the time we had an acoustic guitar and a $15 drumset designed for a child (ages 2-5). We wrote our first song in about 20 minutes, and with that, we were a band. A few weeks later we upgraded our gear (not by much) and played at Tom Prejean's open mic at Club Dada in Deep Ellum, Dallas. After a 15 minute set, Tom told us to keep playing. Unfortunately, we didn't know any more songs, so there was no encore. The following month, Ethel relocated to Los Angeles and Adam followed shortly thereafter. At a Halloween party in October of 2002 we met Gordon Bash, who plays bass for Mankind is Obsolete and for Marty and Elayne at the Dresden Room in Los Angeles. He came to one of our shows and offered to record a demo for us in the summer of 2003. We continued to play shows in and around LA, but the band decided to take a hiatus in the summer of 2004 to focus on other avenues. After a year of rest, Gordon joined the band as our bass player. Our first full-length album "Field Trip to Cakeland" is available at CDBaby.com and ITunes.com. We are old enough to be our parents. 

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2008, 11:19:48 am »
Merci jmmgallagher !

Tes nouvelles sont intéressantes!

Your news are interesting!

I did not know that!

I found that he was producer, but could that be ONLY of music ?

And how did he, Adam Neal Smith,  get into this Ciao movie as an actor ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2008, 01:37:05 am »

Oh I just want to ravage him!  :P

I too am interested to learn more on him.  He just seemed to come out of nowhere.  And his acting was superb!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2008, 10:52:42 pm »
Yes, he does not have to sit on that if he comes to my place! He can be my king anytime!

Yours too?

What does he produce?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2008, 08:01:20 pm »
Pas de nouvelles sur ceci aujourd'hui?

J'en désire!

Toi, aussi?

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2008, 09:42:03 pm »

At last--a really decent review of Ciao.

http://www.gonewiththetwins.com/pages/2008/ciao.php

Ciao

Genre: Drama
Running Time: 1 hr. 27 min.
Release Date: December 5th, 2008
MPAA Rating: R for language including sexual references.
Director: Yen Tan
Actors: Adam Neal Smith, Alessandro Calza, Ethel Lung, Chuck Blaum

"The film shines in moments of stillness and reflection, capturing the silence of mourning with the intended matter of course."

Quietly contemplative, often haunting, strangely simplistic and surprisingly literal, “Ciao”  is a film with visible frays around the edges but is touching and well intentioned.  The nature of loss, unrequited love and solace come through with care and compassion, despite having minimal insights on the subjects, vying instead for the persistence and simplicity of memory and romantic substitution. 

The film shines in moments of stillness and reflection, capturing the silence of mourning with the intended matter of course; however, some awkward blocking, stilted delivery of dialogue and a lack of aesthetic consistency when framing casual exchanges intermittently disconnects the audience from full emotional connection.  This is only exacerbated by dialogue that sticks to the surface of things, avoiding any sort of perceived conflict or deeper character idiosyncrasies with excess niceties, forgetting that occasional differences are often what reveal true connection.

That said, there is a natural chemistry between the leads and an overall payoff that gives the apt title a great deal of emotional significance.

This story of closure follows Jeff (Adam Neal Smith) who, after the sudden death of his best friend Mark (Chuck Blaum), discovers extensive correspondence between his friend and an Italian pen pal named Andrea (Alessandro Calza).  Having never heard of this extensive, romantic correspondence, and learning that Andrea intended to visit Mark, Jeff is confused, upset and curious, which leads to him extending an invitation to the Italian stranger for a visit.

The pair essentially shares tales of Mark, learning more about their lost love through minor revelations and brief anecdotes, which inevitably leads to their connection and ultimately, the emotional substitution of Mark with each other in order to bid farewell to a lost love that never was.

Strangely, what is essentially two people using each other for an otherwise challenging cessation, comes off as extremely human and sad, finding a homogeneity in the pain of loss.  Some stronger performances, more consistent direction and a more fleshed out script would have strengthened the overall impact but “Ciao”  is leaps and bounds beyond other gay cinema as of late, which alone is worthy of merit.

- Robert Bell

©2008 Gone With the Twins.

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2008, 09:47:41 pm »
Merci !

So is Robert Bell comparing it (Ciao movie) to THE Brokeback Mountain FILM?

IN SOME WAYS?

AU REVOIR,
HUGS!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2008, 09:57:44 pm »

And here's another! Good!

http://www.nyunews.com/arts/film/ciao_offers_new_elements_to_gay_cinema

Washington Square News > Arts > Film

“Ciao” offers new elements to gay cinema

by Thomas Sullivan

Published: Tuesday, December 2, 2008

“Ciao”  is a breath of fresh air for a genre that really, really needs some variety.
Queer cinema as it now stands basically consists of three elements: graphic sex, AIDS and coming-out stories. Fortunately, “Ciao”   features none of these. Director Yen Tan’s film is a very quiet character study, providing the genre with an infusion of exactly what it needs: subtlety.

Because the film opens on a somber note with the death of main character Jeff’s (Adam Neal Smith) best friend Mark (Chuck Blaum), we immediately expect it to be a weepy drama about death and mourning. But in fact, it turns out to be exactly the opposite. As he sifts through the possessions of the deceased, Jeff discovers an incredible number of e-mails exchanged between Mark and Andrea (Alessandro Calza), an Italian man with whom Mark was in an online relationship.

It seems that Andrea was planning on visiting Mark the following week, so Jeff takes matters into his own hands and e-mails Andrea to tell him the bad news. Unfortunately, Andrea’s ticket is already booked and paid for, so Jeff invites Andrea to come and stay with him regardless. The two men soon find themselves growing closer and closer, building a relationship out of the love they share for their mutual acquaintance.

It is obvious from the start that none of the actors here are very experienced, and it sticks out like a sore thumb against the rest of the film’s solid craftsmanship. Fortunately, although most of the main characters struggle with line delivery, it only slightly obstructs the smooth flow of the general narrative.

At the same time, however, when the actors get it right, they really get it right. What makes this film such a joy to watch is that the characters are all very honest and realistic. Jeff and Andrea aren’t the typical buff manly-men that dominate most gay films; they are average people. It is easy to relate to their grief.

Most of the film’s situations are also eminently plausible, and as a result “Ciao”  rarely forays into cheeseball territory. It does spend a lot of time perilously teetering on the edge of soapy melodrama fluff, especially in an out of place musical performance towards the end of the film. But for every cringe-worthy moment there are several genuine and heartfelt ones, inspiring true empathy rather than derision. This is the kind of movie that, at first glance, seems pre-engineered to be dismissed as a soap opera. That it manages to gracefully avoid being smacked with that label says a lot about its poignancy — unlike a lot of queer cinema, which self-consciously aims to be loud.

Yen Tan still has a lot of work to do to establish himself as a solid filmmaker. But “Ciao”  is a simple-yet-engaging gay film that isn’t afraid to step away from genre clichés. The film isn’t necessarily new and original, but it is compelling and endlessly relatable. Which is, in its own quiet way, groundbreaking.

Thomas Sullivan is a staff writer. E-mail him at [email protected].

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2008, 12:28:51 pm »
Oh!

Intéressant!

And you have pic of the (dead) lover?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2008, 08:17:18 pm »
I schlepped through the not-very-well-plowed-snow-filled streets to see Ciao today.   ***not too spoilerish***

I had only read John's review, having skipped over the others before viewing.

While I liked it, I didn't love it.  

I have no problem with slow, paced films.  However, this one was too stylized and studied for me to emotionally connect with it.  It seemed like it would have made a good short film, rather than a feature-length film.  It seemed to be an outline  of a film.  I guess I was left wanting more.  

The actors were attractive, the constant close-ups were effective, but the expressions didn't really change.  I don't know if they were purposely holding back, but, to me, there wasn't enough development.  The stiff dialogue didn't help.  

A very sincere effort, that was lacking for me.  The best line, when Andrea talks about a former girlfriend, realizing that "she didn't have a dick" made me laugh, but, sadly, summed up the film for me.  There just wasn't enough there there.  

Aside:  the "typing" of emails at the beginning made me think of none other than "Doogie Houser".  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:29:44 pm by southendmd »

Offline Artiste

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2008, 11:45:17 pm »
Was sex in it?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2008, 11:48:07 pm »

Was sex in it?

There is no sex in the movie Artiste.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2008, 11:49:01 pm »
Any kisses ?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2008, 11:50:22 pm »
Any kisses ?

Ok, yes, there is a kiss.  It's a loooong beautiful tender emotional kiss too!  :-*

Offline Artiste

« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2008, 11:57:34 pm »
Pic of it?

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2008, 01:12:02 am »

I schlepped through the not-very-well-plowed-snow-filled streets to see Ciao today.   ***not to spoilerish***

I had only read John's review, having skipped over the others before viewing.

While I liked it, I didn't love it. 

I have no problem with slow, paced films.  However, this one was too stylized and studied for me to emotionally connect with it.  It seemed like it would have made a good short film, rather than a feature-length film.  It seemed to be an outline  of a film.  I guess I was left wanting more. 

The actors were attractive, the constant close-ups were effective, but the expressions didn't really change.  I don't know if they were purposely holding back, but, to me, there wasn't enough development.  The stiff dialogue didn't help. 

A very sincere effort, that was lacking for me.  The best line, when Andrea talks about a former girlfriend, realizing that "she didn't have a dick" made me laugh, but, sadly, summed up the film for me.  There just wasn't enough there there. 

Aside:  the "typing" of emails at the beginning made me think of none other than "Doogie Houser". 

I'm glad you saw the film, Paul. If nothing else, it supports gay cinema!

(My TV and film knowledge could be lacking--when something looks very fresh to me, it might be old hat to the cognoscenti.  Believe it or not, I have never seen 'Doogie Houser'--oops!  Oh, well. I do know the actor Neil Patrick Harris is, of course.)

Artiste: the kissing scene is at near the end:

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2008, 01:13:46 am »
Can one or two photos of that kissing scene be seen here?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2008, 07:34:12 pm »
Is there an Ciao Christmas card ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2008, 11:02:45 pm »
Where is which actor for Christmas?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2009, 09:02:20 pm »
Did someone see this recently?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2009, 09:35:59 pm »
Maybe this movie could be shown at home, like for house parties??

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2010, 01:59:00 pm »
Wow, 23 November 2008 I started this thread, that was one year,  4 months and 12 days ago and last night I FINALLY got to see it for myself.

I must say for a low budget movie it is very well done. Director Yen Tan's focus on the the faces while hands perform implied tasks is brilliant. The movie is sparce, and quiet, at the begining it is very quiet. It builds slowly like a train until you realize there is a somewhat sexual, some what need for comfort tension betwixt the two main characters.

I would love to see a follow up, "Jeff Goes to Genoa". I'll probably have to watch that one in my imagination.

And yes, that looooooooong tender kiss. I enjoyed that.  ;)