Author Topic: A Holiday Survey!  (Read 24470 times)

pnwDUDE

Re: A Holiday Survey!
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2008, 02:51:49 pm »

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Depends what it is, but if it can be wrapped, it gets wrapped. Steve does the wrapping, btw. I ain't no good at it.

2. Real tree or Artificial? Real, and it always comes from our property, which is full of trees.

3 When do you put your tree up? Depends. This year, we are leaving for my folks tommorrow and returning Sunday or Monday, so we will do it when we get back.

4 When do you take the tree down?  New Years day, without fail.

5. Do you like eggnog?   NO!

6. Favorite gift received as a child? As a kid, anything that has anything to do with trains. 

7 Hardest person to buy for?    Because we have everything, we don't buy each other anything. We have a big Christmas party each year. We go all out, it is expensive, but it is our gift to our friends and family (that can make it). Because our family is so large, we don't buy gifts. Each person buys one very nice gift (we usually have ideas what people want), and do a 'White Elepant' type gift exchange. It is fun, and most people enjoy the gift they end up with.

8. Easiest person to buy for?  See above.

9. Do you have a nativity scene?  No. There is a farm down the road from us. It is called 'Little Alaska'. Each year they put out a life size nativity scene, so we enjoy it.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Don't recollect. 

12. Favorite Christmas Movie/Cartoon? The original "It's a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?   Tommorrow, and finish tommorrow--other than to shop for our party.

14. Have you ever regifted a Christmas present? No.   

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Everything we don't eat the rest of the year.

16. Lights on the tree? Yeah, and on the house, in the yard, around the pool, on the barn, etc. etc.  ;D

17. Favorite Christmas song? White Christmas

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? This year, staying home. Steve's mom and his oldest sister and her husband will be with us.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?  Yep.  

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Star.

21. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning? Morning.  

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Our electric bill. It goes through the roof.

23. Favorite Ornament theme or color? None.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?  Turkey with the fixins'.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?  Another happy year.

Brad

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2008, 04:20:48 pm »
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?             More, and more I use bags...

2. Real tree or Artificial?                       Artificial.  Its not nearly so much of a mess.

3 When do you put your tree up?         No set day.  Wheneva.??
4 When do you take the tree down?     Same thing...In Jan, sometime

5. Do you like eggnog?                        Noooooooooooo

6. Favorite gift received as a child?         Bride doll, bicycle...............

7 Hardest person to buy for?                My husband.

8. Easiest person to buy for?                My grandaughter

9. Do you have a nativity scene?          Yes a beautiful one, dont put it out anymore...

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?               Sure!!

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?   Babe Ruth wrist watch... Wish I had it now though..worth a fortune I bet.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie/Cartoon?       A Christmas Story, and Miracle on 34th st.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?      Whenever I find something that I think is perfect for someone...

14. Have you ever regifted a Christmas present?     No never, but I have been tempted.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?                   Cherry Cream Pie....... 

16. Lights on the tree?                                        Of course.   All white miniatures.

17. Favorite Christmas song?                                 Silent Night  and Grandma got run over by a reindeer......

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?                    Home 

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?               Of course.  Dasher Prancer, Cupid, Comet, Vixen, Donner Blitzen 
                                                                                        Dancer and Rudolph   

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?                      Angel 

21. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning?     Christmas morn.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?  Shopping,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 

23. Favorite Ornament theme or color?                     Silver and Gold,  My Snowman city.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?                              Gravy and stuffing.  cranberry sause,, all of it I guess

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?            My family well and healthy   

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2008, 04:32:34 pm »
6. Favorite gift received as a child? As a kid, anything that has anything to do with trains. 

Right there with you, Brad!  ;)  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2008, 04:41:42 pm »
23. Favorite Ornament theme or color?                     Silver and Gold,  My Snowman city.

You have a Snowman city Janice? That sounds really nice. Do the little houses light up?

My mom had a miniature Christmas city she put out every year. She bought a couple of new pieces every year, and when she died I think there were probably 30 different houses and buildings. It looked like a little German or Swiss (Alpine) town. She always set it up in the dining room on the buffet table. Everything lit up and a few pieces were animated. Santa circled around one of the houses for example. And you could look through some of the windows and see furniture and people in some of the rooms.

Then, after mom died, dad gave the whole deal to my sister and I haven't seen it since. I hope everything isn't broken because Susan doesn't take very good care of things. >:(

I love those little miniature Christmas towns. Maybe this year I'll start one of my own! :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2008, 05:19:28 pm »
I started one David.  It got out of hand really quickly...the little people and trees...oy I needed another room just for it.

That's what I'm afraid of. I'm scared I'll buy a few pieces and become obsessed with it. I'll keep going back and buying more and more, and then not have any money left for Christmas presents. ALTHOUGH, I have quite a bit of my shopping finished so I might be able to sucessfully pull it off. I get obsessed with things too easily.

Do you have any pictures of your village Scott? If so, maybe you could post a pic of it in here. I'd love to see what it looks like. I think those little villages are fascinating. I spent many hours looking at my mom's village. I'd sit there and try to imagine myself living in it! :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2008, 05:30:36 pm »
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?  paper

2. Real tree or Artificial?  real

3 When do you put your tree up? First weekend in December

4 When do you take the tree down?  First weekend in January

5. Do you like eggnog?   no

6. Favorite gift received as a child?   a dollhouse

7 Hardest person to buy for?    mother-in-law

8. Easiest person to buy for?  daughter

9. Do you have a nativity scene?     no

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?   mail

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?   rubber shorts you put on and then "sled" down a hill

12. Favorite Christmas Movie/Cartoon?     none

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?   July

14. Have you ever regifted a Christmas present?    yes

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?    Leg of lamb

16. Lights on the tree?   clear, nonblinking, miniature

17. Favorite Christmas song?   God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?   home

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?    Dasher, Prancer, Donner, Blitzen, Comet, Rudolph

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?   angel

21. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning?   morning

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?     I get time off at Christmas and after, but no time off before Christmas when I have to prepare

23. Favorite Ornament theme or color?   Renaissance ornaments

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?     Leg of lamb, pasta with walnut sauce, spiced peaches

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?    a new alarm clock, a Brokeback calendar
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2008, 07:16:08 pm »
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?     Leg of lamb, pasta with walnut sauce, spiced peaches

Wow, what time are YOU serving? It's going to be a busy night -- first to Germany for dinner with Chrissi, then to Colorado for dinner at your house. I'd better catch a ride with Santa!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2008, 08:26:43 pm »
Wow, what time are YOU serving? It's going to be a busy night -- first to Germany for dinner with Chrissi, then to Colorado for dinner at your house. I'd better catch a ride with Santa!

I read somewhere that Santa travels in a space-time continuum. This is the only way he can manage to visit every house in the world in just one night. So he can easily get you from Minnesota to Germany in less than a blink of the eye. And then on to Colorado once you've sampled Chrissi's Castle's Secret, desert and a few engaging conversations. But if you're planning to do all these things in just one night, Santa is probably your only hope of success. The problem is seeing Santa when he's flying that fast. I'll email the North Pole for you Katherine and I'll ask Santa to slow his sled down as he approaches the greater Minneapolis airspace. ;)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2008, 09:05:07 pm »
I'll email the North Pole for you Katherine and I'll ask Santa to slow his sled down as he approaches the greater Minneapolis airspace. ;)

Heck, I'll just go meet him as he's taking off. It's practically walking distance from here.

pnwDUDE

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2008, 11:25:57 pm »

Right there with you, Brad!  ;)  :laugh:

We were watching tv the other night, these kids were under the tree Christmas morning, and a steam trainset circled the tree--classic Baldwin pulled with smoke and the big gauge 3-rail layout (forgot what it is called). I told Steve I could smell the track and smoke. Memories for sure.

Brad