Author Topic: Holiday music/videos  (Read 49765 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Holiday music/videos
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2015, 11:26:00 am »
Well, I made it successfully though the holiday season without having to hear the songs I hate the most!  :)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2018, 08:08:28 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe1yIYpLqgU[/youtube]

George Straight - Christmas Cookies.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2018, 03:07:43 pm »
Yesterday I dug out the small radio I have at work, and connected my phone to it.  I have about 100 (maybe more) Christmas songs in a playlist on it, and now the office hears Christmas music during the day.

;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2018, 11:48:12 am »
Baby It's Cold Outside pulled by US radio station after listeners complain lyrics at odds with #MeToo

Tom Embury-Dennis @tomemburyd   Saturday 1 December 2018 22:26

A US radio station has removed Christmas classic Baby It’s Cold Outside from its playlist after listeners complained it was at odds with the #MeToo movement.

Glenn Anderson, a host at Star 102 Cleveland, in Ohio, confirmed the station had pulled the song over what he said were the “manipulative and wrong” lyrics.

"The world we live in is extra sensitive now, and people get easily offended, but in a world where #MeToo has finally given women the voice they deserve, the song has no place,” Mr Anderson wrote in a blog.

Written in 1944 by composer Frank Loesser, the song takes the form of a back-and-forth conversation in which a man tries to convince a woman not to journey home in bad weather and to spend the night with him instead.

The song includes lines such as: “I really can’t stay (Baby don’t hold out)”, “I ought to say no, no, no (Mind if I move in closer)”, and, infamously, “Say, what’s in this drink?”

Some have accused the latter lyric of being an allusion to date rape, whereas others argue the line in the 1930s effectively meant, “I’m telling the truth”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/baby-cold-outside-christmas-song-metoo-radio-station-star-102-cleveland-ohio-a8663096.html

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2018, 11:55:03 am »
Backlash as more radio stations ban "Baby, It's Cold Outside" over lyrics

Following the lead of several other radio stations in the United States and Canada, Bay Area radio station KOIT said it was banning the holiday staple "Baby, It's Cold Outside," CBS San Francisco reports. Many listeners have said the song heard on countless holiday playlists is inappropriate in the #MeToo era — but others are outraged the classic tune has been taken off the air.

Penned by "Guys and Dolls" writer Frank Loesser in 1944, the song's lyrics describe a woman trying extricate herself from a date and saying "no, no, no," while a man insists that she stays as he moves in closer, pours her more alcohol, and warns about the weather outside. Critics of the song say the lyrics promote date rape.

"I made the decision, it's off for now," Brian Figula, program manager at KOIT radio told CBS San Francisco, adding he is considering leaving the ultimate decision up to the people.

Since Figula announced the decision, the station has received many angry emails and social media posts from people upset with the decision, accusing the station of political correctness.

"They're upset!" said KOIT radio DJ Freska Griarte who has heard from lots of listeners from phone calls and social media posts.

"They're like, 'why are you guys doing this? What is going on? It's just a song.  While for some people, it means something more," Griarte said.

"I could definitely see where it's a little uncomfortable when you think about the lyrics being said," said Genevieve Ellison of San Francisco. "But then so are most of the songs on the radio today, right?"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baby-its-cold-outside-backlash-as-more-radio-stations-ban-song-over-lyrics-amid-metoo-movement/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2018, 12:46:41 pm »
I like the line in that song where he sings, "And my dear, we're still goodbying". I'll waive my disregard of nouns being turned into verbs for the sake of a good song rhyme.

In fact, I like it whenever I hear the word "dear" in a song. "Our dear saviour's birth" in "O Holy Night". Also, when Daniel Cartier says "my dear" in "Auld Lang Syne".  :-*
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2018, 03:20:32 pm »
Backlash as more radio stations ban "Baby, It's Cold Outside" over lyrics

The idea of seeing that one "go" doesn't bother me because I don't feel it's particularly "Christmas-y." It could just as well apply to January or February. Plus, I simply don't like it, even though I recognize that it's a "classic."

Except for the fact that I like them, I could say the same thing about "Sleigh Ride" and "Winter Wonderland." I like them, but I don't think they're particularly "Christmas-y." They could apply to any time in winter.

So, while we're at it, lets ban "Santa, Baby." Good Lord, I hate that song. Eartha Kitt's rendition is a classic of a performance, but talk about glorifying a predatory woman. ...

It doesn't help that I've seen way too many gay male parodies of it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2018, 12:53:49 am »
I like Eartha's version, as well as Madonna's.  Taylor Swift's leaves me cold.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2019, 02:40:53 pm »
Mariah Carey's 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' Hits No. 1 For The First Time Ever

By Marianne Garvey, CNN

Can it ever really be Christmas without Mariah Carey?

The self-proclaimed "Queen of Christmas" has landed the No. 1 spot on the Hot 100 for her famous holiday hit, "All I Want for Christmas Is You."  This is the first time the 25-year-old song has hit No. 1. The song's previous record was No. 3 on the chart.   Now a holiday classic, the song was first released in 1994 on Carey's "Merry Christmas" album. She was 24 when she recorded it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/16/entertainment/mariah-carey-all-i-want-for-christmas-is-you-trnd/index.html

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2019, 02:53:37 pm »
So, while we're at it, lets ban "Santa, Baby." Good Lord, I hate that song. Eartha Kitt's rendition is a classic of a performance, but talk about glorifying a predatory woman. ...

It doesn't help that I've seen way too many gay male parodies of it.

I like Eartha's version, as well as Madonna's.  Taylor Swift's leaves me cold.

Not a gay parody, but we have a male version now.

Crooner Michael Bublé has recorded "Santa Baby", and I believe he only says the title twice.  The rest of the times he says "Santa Buddy" or "Santa Paly".

He has changed other lyrics to be more "masculine".....the "'54 Convertible too, light blue" becomes "a '65 convertible too, steel blue", the 'sable' becomes a 'Rolex', and there are other changes.

Eartha Kitt - "Santa Baby, forgot to mention one little thing, a ring.  I don't mean on a phone."

Michael Bublé - "Sana Poppy, forgot to mention one little thing, 'cha-ching', no I don't mean as a loan."

You can see his lyrics here.