Author Topic: The Dark Knight out on DVD soon  (Read 6401 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: The Dark Knight out on DVD soon
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 02:52:03 am »
Am I bad or what? I never made it to go and see The Dark Knight, but I wanted the DVD since I do have most every movie Heath made. I just wasn't all that wild about seeing Heath play the Joker. I would much rather see him play Ennis  ;) And for the award it would be great if Heath does get it, but it seems strange somehow that he could get it for The Dark Knight and not for BBM. It just goes to show that many people thought more of him after he died than before. It's a shame.

I agree completely. As if The Joker was a 'better' acting performance than Ennis, and that's a shame indeed.  :-\

The Dark Knight dvd was released over here last week. The review in the newspaper was that a spectacular movie deserved a more spectacular special dvd release. They were disappointed with the extras.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 07:59:35 am »
Yes, I saw BBM on December 27th, the 11:10 am show at the big Loew's theater in Boston.

As for TDK, we have the DVD (no surprise there!). Hannah tells me the special features are good. She really enjoyed the one on the making of the Bat-suit.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 07:07:53 am »
I bought the Dark Knight for my daughter for Christmas and watched it yesterday. I tried to like it, I really did, because of Heath I suppose, but I didn,t. It took too long to "get into". I think it was one of those films that has been hyped up a lot because of Heath.

Don,t mean to offend anyone, but I just didn,t like it, sorry. I won,t watch it again.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 08:01:10 am »
I bought the Dark Knight for my daughter for Christmas and watched it yesterday. I tried to like it, I really did, because of Heath I suppose, but I didn,t. It took too long to "get into". I think it was one of those films that has been hyped up a lot because of Heath.

Don,t mean to offend anyone, but I just didn,t like it, sorry. I won,t watch it again.

Why should anyone be offended? You're not the only one. others also said they didn't like it.
For me it was vice versa. It's not my type of movie, I watched it only for Heath and ended up liking it much more than I thought I would.

And I got the two disc edition for Christmas from my hubby! :D

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 11:09:07 am »
I agree completely. As if The Joker was a 'better' acting performance than Ennis, and that's a shame indeed. 

I can understand that reaction; but I doubt that's the case. As we've all discussed very thoroughly, the judgements at Oscar time two years ago were clouded by homophobic reactions to the movie itself, including but not limited to some of the voters bragging that they had voted against the film without even seeing it.  I doubt those voters cared at all how good the acting was -- which IMO is a rather harsher judgement than you made.   :-\

TDK didn't appear under the Christmas tree yesterday; but gift cards to both Wal-Mart and Target did so I'll have it before long.  I'll wait a bit to see if the prices come down -- when Brokeback was being released on DVD I pre-ordered it weeks in advance; I liked The Dark Knight and definitely want it in my collection, but it isn't in the same league with me as BBM.

Of course, not many movies are....   ;)

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 11:15:30 am »
Why should anyone be offended? You're not the only one. others also said they didn't like it.
For me it was vice versa. It's not my type of movie, I watched it only for Heath and ended up liking it much more than I thought I would.

It isn't my type of movie either, and IMO a big part of the story about TDK is how much of a crossover film it was.  I recall a story in the Kansas City Star last summer remarking that 'action' movies, especially those based on comic books, have a predictable audience: young, mostly white, males aged roughly 16 to 25 and that this type of movie rarely has any crossover appeal.  In the case of TDK, the article said, it also attracted a sizeable audience of women, older viewers and IMAX fans.

They didn't mention Heath fans but of course all three of those groups include us.  I generally find action films boring -- once you've seen one car chase or building blowing up you've seen 'em all -- and did zone out during some of those sequences in TDK.  The two things that kept my attention overall were 1) Heath's performance and 2) the dark alleyways about the nature of evil that the movie explored.  IMO the latter was partly a Heath's performance and partly the director's intent.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 01:08:45 am »
I remember back in aught five, when some people on IMDb had seen BBM even before Dec 9, and we plied them with questions which they patiently answered. 

My first BBM viewing was Dec 31, even though it opened in Seattle Dec 16, because I flew out of town for the holidays on Dec 16 to a town that didn't have it yet, and flew back Dec 30.  Then I saw it again and again in the theater during Jan and Feb 06.

Oh - and spookyrabbit somehow got a very early screener of it long before we all saw it too.  That was fun to hear about it.