Author Topic: OT: Anyone seen The Devil Wears Prada?  (Read 5993 times)

slayers_creek_oth

OT: Anyone seen The Devil Wears Prada?
« on: July 05, 2006, 02:42:14 am »
I've heard LOTS of good things and it surprisingly enough is making a killing at the box office....

What did all those who saw it think?

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
Re: OT: Anyone seen The Devil Wears Prada?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 02:43:59 am »

Haven't seen it yet myself Chris but rt has seen it and thought it was fabulous...

It looks good.  But its got Meryl Streep, who is a goddess and that is reason enough to see it..
Chut up!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 05:27:20 am »
I've heard LOTS of good things and it surprisingly enough is making a killing at the box office....

What did all those who saw it think?

I saw it on Sunday. I thought it was good...not great...but entertaining for a Sunday afternoon. The theater was pretty full.

This is the annoying part: brand new movie theater (only open 2 weeks) and because the floor lighting was not working, we had to watch it with the overhead lights on!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 08:14:10 am »
Ew.  That *is* annoying, Leslie.  Part of the reason I like going to the theater is to see that huge screen lit up in the DARK.

I saw it Monday night, Chris.  Liked it but didn't love it.  Very Hollywood.  Very predictable.  All the loose ends tied up way too neatly in the end for my liking.  Of course my colleague who doesn't like to be disturbed at all by her movies *loved* it.  It was entertaining in a superficial way, though.  I give it 3 stars for pacing and for the scene-stealing chick who played Emily.
No more beans!

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 08:50:38 am »
I thought it was great; hilarious and charming! Meryl Streep is PERFECT as the evil and witty uber-bitch Miranda Priestly. Yeah, it was predictable and almost cheasy at times, but overall it's a very fun movie. Anne Hathaway was stunning but even more notable is Emily Blunt who played Miranda's first assistant. She was fantastic! I absolutely LOVED this film!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 04:20:26 pm by dmmb_Mandy »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 09:20:49 am »
even more notable is Emily Blunt who played Miranda's first assistant. She was fantastic!

Totally agree.  Just her eye-rolls alone were tremendous.   ;D

"I'm going to say this for the first time to someone who isn't myself:  Calm the fuck down."
No more beans!

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 09:28:43 am »
I thought it was great; hilarious and charming! Meryl Streep is PERFECT as the evil and witty uber-bitch Miranda Priestly. Yeah, it was predictable and almost cheasy at times, but overall it's a very fun movie. Anne Hathaway was stunning but even more notable is Emily Blunt who played Miranda's first assistant. She was fantastic!

I completley agree Mandy! I really enjoyed it.  With that kind of movie, I expected it to be hollywood and predictable, so I didn't let that get me down.  It was cute, really funny and Meryl and Anne were perfect for their roles.  I recommend it!!  ;D
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 09:54:58 am »
Loved it.  Yes, it's pretty Hollywood, but it's also pretty New York.  Miranda Priestly is based on the Editor In Chief of Vogue magazine Ana Wintour, who did everything she could to interrupt the movie from being made.  The person played by Anne Hathaway wrote the best-selling book based on the movie.

Superficial yes, but an exaggeration?  Absolutely not.  I've worked for several Devils like that - some only wore Lane Bryant.  In the end Miranda Priestly did redeem the lingering bad taste in my mouth left by those idiots. 

Oh yes, in my years of experience, the Devil first wore Jordache, then Calvin Klein, then Gaultier, then Caroline Herrera, then Mugler, then Michael Kors....
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 10:27:35 am »
I love Streep in this film. She was EVIL! Just absolutely delicious. Anne had her moments too, but the film definitely goes to Streep.

but what's up with Simon Baker? He looked like a zombie. I'm guessing it was intentional, but I can't figure out why?
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 11:58:24 am »
but what's up with Simon Baker? He looked like a zombie. I'm guessing it was intentional, but I can't figure out why?

I was wondering the same thing!  He just seemed to be phoning it in.  He really just looked and seemed kinda smarmy the whole time.  But by the same token, I wasn't overly taken with Adrien Grenier, either.  He's much more appealing on "Entourage," and I don't even like him on that all that much.

Where men are concerned, I thought Stanley Tucci stole the show.  Not that it was challenging in this case.  But I just love him.  And he was pitch-perfect this time, as usual.  And even our Jake's eyelashes aren't *quite* as pretty as his.
No more beans!