Author Topic: OT: Anyone seen The Devil Wears Prada?  (Read 5991 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: OT: Anyone seen The Devil Wears Prada?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 01:32:39 pm »
I saw the movie Sunday and enjoyed it, though it seemed to go on a bit long.  It reminded me of "Working Girl," but with less plot and character development.  Anne Hathaway's character is appealing, but I can't imagine Meryl Streep's character thinking for one minute that she is hireable.  I got knots in my stomach just thinking about the stress of that job!  ;D

Meryl is the divinest Devil imaginable, and the supporting cast is good.  I was definitely feeling like I needed to go on a diet pronto after the first fifteen minutes.   ::)

It was great fun ticking off all the New York locations as they appeared, and I certainly recognized a lot of the NY types of people and catered parties (Glorious Food, a well-known catering firm, got a mention, along with various restaurants and companies).  And I had another "NY moment" when I realized that an actor who had a fleeting bit as a reporter in the Paris sequence had sat at an adjacent table to mine in a coffee bar last week.  8)

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 02:07:34 pm »
I was definitely feeling like I needed to go on a diet pronto after the first fifteen minutes.   ::)

That's for sure! Those cracks about everyone calling size-6 Anne "the fat girl" and claiming "6 is the new 14" were hilarious -- but unsettling. Suddenly, I felt like I'd eaten WAAAYYY too much popcorn.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 02:12:59 pm »
That's for sure! Those cracks about everyone calling size-6 Anne "the fat girl" and claiming "6 is the new 14" were hilarious -- but unsettling. Suddenly, I felt like I'd eaten WAAAYYY too much popcorn.

No kidding!  I was like "Good God - what would 10 be, then?!" and was glad I had opted against the popcorn.   :o
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 02:25:26 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 05:57:46 pm »
Stanley Tucci is HOT HOT HOT HOT........!  Not really that into effeminate characters, but Stanley Tucci's work was graceful and understated. 
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 08:03:53 pm »
I'm much more interested in seeing this now, after reading your recommendations.  I agree that Stanley Tucci is HOT HOT HOT.  I'm off to see Wordplay in a few minutes.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 08:20:39 pm »
I'm much more interested in seeing this now, after reading your recommendations.  I agree that Stanley Tucci is HOT HOT HOT.  I'm off to see Wordplay in a few minutes.

Wordplay...all my crossword buddies are so into this movie. Loving it to pieces. Did you know I had a crossword puzzle published in the New York Times? That was in the dark ages before I started writing fanfic! LOLL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 08:26:45 pm »

LOVED Wordplay. It was fun. I loved seeing how a puzzle is created and the tournament scenes were more exciting than I expected.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm a brokie and proud of it!
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 01:29:51 am »

Hi all!
I saw this film when I was stranded in the rain the other day. Loved Meryl Streep, she was perfect. The fillm is alright, some funny moments here and there. I kept looking at Anne Hathaway and wishing Jake would come riding in on his horse  :) 
I had a lovers quarrel with the world - Robert Frost.