Author Topic: Lights, Brokies, lights!  (Read 39511 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Lights, Brokies, lights!
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2009, 03:34:48 pm »
You know Friend, as we speak, my daughter are preparing their special letter to Sinterklaas. Making a drawing and preparing to 'place their shoe' as we call it.
One of their shoes is put near the fire place and filled with the letter. A carrot is placed next to the shoe, for the horse of course. No milk, though, over here Sinterklaas' helper 'Black Pete' as we call him, prefers a beer!  :laugh:

The letter and the carrot will all have magically dissapeared. And the beer will be empty. All in exchange for lots of chocolate and goodies.

And back on topic: I bought my outdoor lights today, with timer. Yay! We decided to buy the trees next weekend.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2009, 03:57:47 pm »
When my children were young, they would always write letters of welcome for Santa. We would set a special twig table in front of the fireplace with a glass of milk, cookies, and carrots with ferny green tops for the reindeer. And the letters. Then, in the dead of night, my husband and I would perform a ritual. We would scatter a scoopful of ashes from the fireplace on the Oriental rug and then he would place his big hiking boots in it, making tracks. Then we would drink the milk (him), eat the cookies, and nibble on the carrots. We would write a return note from Santa on the bottom of the Christmas letters. Then we would proceed to fill up the stockings and put the remaining presents under the tree.

You know Friend, as we speak, my daughter are preparing their special letter to Sinterklaas. Making a drawing and preparing to 'place their shoe' as we call it.
One of their shoes is put near the fire place and filled with the letter. A carrot is placed next to the shoe, for the horse of course. No milk, though, over here Sinterklaas' helper 'Black Pete' as we call him, prefers a beer!  :laugh:

The letter and the carrot will all have magically dissapeared. And the beer will be empty. All in exchange for lots of chocolate and goodies.

And back on topic: I bought my outdoor lights today, with timer. Yay! We decided to buy the trees next weekend.

Aww, that's sweet (both). And so alike, with the carrots and letters :).

No letters or anything for Nikolaus here. The kids just put their boots in front of the door. Normally they have to shine them beforehand, but not this year because we're running late.

My youngest has a special mail connection to Santa Clause though. One year he started to cut out toys he wanted to have from catalogues etc, and put them into our own mailbox. Low and behold, the next morning they were gone. Santa had come over night had collected his wishes. Santa even comes in the middle of August to our house and collects Christmas wishes :).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 05:58:27 pm »
Then, in the dead of night, my husband and I would perform a ritual. We would scatter a scoopful of ashes from the fireplace on the Oriental rug and then he would place his big hiking boots in it, making tracks. Then we would drink the milk (him), eat the cookies, and nibble on the carrots. We would write a return note from Santa on the bottom of the Christmas letters. Then we would proceed to fill up the stockings and put the remaining presents under the tree.

In my family, I always did that kind of stuff myself, alone, exhausted, at 2 a.m., after returning from my husband's family's Christmas Even gathering, while my husband and the kids slept.

Which I guess helps explain why I'm divorced.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 06:50:26 pm »
Here's what Tavern on the Green looks like with all the trees lit up:

ooooo pretty!

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 06:59:49 pm »
LOL about the tangled lights.  My parents finally bought a nice, pre-lit tree this year to avoid the tangled light issue... at least where the main Christmas tree is concerned.  Dealing with the lights is always my Dad's job, and this year he'd had enough.  We put the tree up when I was home over Thanksgiving, and I have to say it was great... it was significantly less stressful.

Hi Amanda,  Im glad you had a stress free THanksgiving with your family.  About the pre lit tree.  We've  had one for  a few years and I hate it.  The lights actually only worked for the first couple Christmas'  Now we have to string lights on it anyway.   Hope their tree's lights lasts longer than ours did.   idk maybe they make them better these days.  Hope so for them.   :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2015, 07:45:27 pm »
Click to see the wonderful Christmas train in Montreal!

Jeff Wrangler, thinking of you.  8)

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2015, 08:23:39 pm »
Click to see the wonderful Christmas train in Montreal!

Jeff Wrangler, thinking of you.  8)

Isn't that neat?!  :D

Thanks, Meryl!  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2015, 11:55:03 am »
My lights have been up since the day after Thanksgiving.  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!