Author Topic: The assorted Christmas pics thread  (Read 60489 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The assorted Christmas pics thread
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2012, 07:56:18 pm »

That is exactly the kind of trailer I envision Ennis living in, in the prologue to the short story.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2012, 04:27:17 pm »
Happy St. Nicholas' Day! Did you leave your shoes out, anyone?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2012, 01:54:16 am »

My son did! :) The girls are too old for it, but of course not too old to open the door expectantly on the morning of Dec 6th. :laugh: They were lucky, St. Nicholas left them something, even without the boots out. ;)

The oldest got earpods, middle child a calendar and my youngest a fairy figurine.

On Nikolaus, hubby always get a sweet greeting at his company, a small chocolate Nikolaus. Since he doesn't want it, it's always mine. ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2012, 02:07:07 am »
That is exactly the kind of trailer I envision Ennis living in, in the prologue to the short story.  :)

Me too :).
"the aluminum door" and "the curved length of the trailer" - I think Mrs. Proulx must have had this kind of trailer in her mind when she wrote it.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2012, 05:26:37 am »

We had a similar tradition in french Canada, but (as I remember it,) it was part of the New Year's Day shoe-under-the-tree variety. Sounds really wimpy and on the cheap compared to today's Christmases but your picture Chrissi brought back the memory of a mandarine orange, candy cane and a bottle of chocolate milk in the shoe.

Thanks for that, both of you.

I'm thinking, 50 years from now, if the tradition has been way layed, your kids will fondly remember these small special gestures.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2012, 02:43:29 am »

Me too :).
"the aluminum door" and "the curved length of the trailer" - I think Mrs. Proulx must have had this kind of trailer in her mind when she wrote it.

Yes, though sans cheery lights, wreathe and tree.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2012, 03:49:29 am »
Yes, though sans cheery lights, wreathe and tree.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's why I dubbed it: "Something good must have happened in Ennis' life" ;D

Yes, she's not exactly the cheery type, our Mrs. Proulx. Years ago, after reading the whole collection of Wyoming stories I said something to the effect of 'Even if you had never heard of BBM, by the time you get to the last story of the book, you already know that this can't end well and would so even without the prologue.'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2012, 04:04:34 am »
We had a similar tradition in french Canada, but (as I remember it,) it was part of the New Year's Day shoe-under-the-tree variety. Sounds really wimpy and on the cheap compared to today's Christmases but your picture Chrissi brought back the memory of a mandarine orange, candy cane and a bottle of chocolate milk in the shoe.

Thanks for that, both of you.

I'm thinking, 50 years from now, if the tradition has been way layed, your kids will fondly remember these small special gestures.

Thanks. When I was a kid, some neighbours used to hang a small bag with Chritmas cookies, nuts and tangerines on our door handle, ring the bell and rush back into their apartments, so they wouldn't been seen. Since I was the only child in our part of the apartment complex, I was lucky on Nikolaus Day. :laugh:
And of course I always knew who the bag was from, I knew my neighbours by their cookies. :laugh:

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #158 on: December 19, 2012, 08:15:18 pm »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2012, 05:49:33 pm »

:)
If it was Ennis's trailer, it would have been decorated by a large trash can to the side of the door and a scythe on the other side; also a 17 on the mail box.
"chewing gum and duct tape"