Author Topic: Wendy and Lucy  (Read 8044 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Wendy and Lucy
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 08:02:13 pm »
Sounds like a good movie.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline oilgun

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 01:03:18 pm »
At one point Wendy goes into a market and steals some dog food for Lucy. She is caught and the young stockboy says cruelly, "People who can't afford it shouldn't have dogs." They send Wendy off to jail on principle, rather than out of a need to punish her for their loss (which wasn't enough to hurt them at all). 

So, I've been wondering...should people be judged by whether they act in a prudent and safe manner?

That scene with the (Chris Klein lookalike) stockboy infuriated me to the point of apoplexy.  What a petty self-important little zealot!  I liked seeing the flash of the crucifix hanging around his neck.

I saw the movie yesterday and I loved it.  Michelle Williams' performance is outstanding.  I too had misgivings about seeing it but it wasn't as depressing as I expected it to be.  It's definitely not a mainstream film, it reminded me of the Dardenne Brothers' work: minimalist social realism with understated natural performances.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:31:44 pm by oilgun »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 05:29:01 pm »
I would love to see this.  It sounds like several minimalist movies I adore, like "The Station Agent," "The Straight Story," and "Ruby in Paradise."

I'll have to check our arthouse theaters for it - I doubt the huge multiplex would show it.
No more beans!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 01:29:00 pm »
I finally saw this film last night.

Very minimalist, indeed.  Moments of despair and understated kindness.  Michelle's great, sad eyes.  I dare say the dog Lucy, even with limited screen time, almost stole the show.  It reads like a short story.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 04:59:11 pm »
I'dnot heard of it coming to the UK but it seems it came out here in March, and I missed it.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

retropian

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 08:54:32 pm »
I watched it today and found it a sad little jewel of a film. I loved it. It has a haunting effect much like the directors previous film "Old Joy", which btw, also features Lucy (the directors dog). I really like the aesthetic of the film, the painterly shots of a dilapidated American town. The performances all rang true; subdued, without any hint of showiness. Almost like non-actors in the roles, just people trying to get by.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 09:30:35 pm »
I watched it today and found it a sad little jewel of a film. I loved it. It has a haunting effect much like the directors previous film "Old Joy", which btw, also features Lucy (the directors dog). I really like the aesthetic of the film, the painterly shots of a dilapidated American town. The performances all rang true; subdued, without any hint of showiness. Almost like non-actors in the roles, just people trying to get by.

Very well put, Ian.  I saw it this weekend and really liked it also, sad but honest, I thought.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

retropian

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 09:21:47 am »
Very well put, Ian.  I saw it this weekend and really liked it also, sad but honest, I thought.

Hi Lynne! If you haven't seem "Old Joy" I highly recommend it. I still think of it from time to time. It's haunting. Like "Wendy and Lucy" there is alot going on under the surface you have to look for. It was compared to BBM, if only because the film is about the relationship between two men. It does make you wonder if there was more to their friendship in the past. did they or didn't they?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 10:31:15 am »
And Old Joy goes into the queue. :)  Thanks, Ian!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 11:04:07 am »
And Old Joy goes into the queue. :)  Thanks, Ian!

I just added it, too!  Thanks for the tip.