Author Topic: Italian TV (RAI) shows 'Brokeback Mountain' without gay scenes  (Read 12490 times)

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: Italian TV (RAI) shows 'Brokeback Mountain' without gay scenes
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 01:45:24 pm »
Absolutely agree Sel!

At the very end the huge "mistake", or whatever it was, made by RAI will be good for BBM, because now the movie and the story are again spoken a lot about, with chances to attract more people to watch/read them, reinforcing their appeal and probably convincing even more people of the beauty of this unique masterpiece.

I missed - fortunately I must say - the RAI broadcast last monday. Would have been furious to see a "mutilated" version of BBM. Let's see if they will be brave enough and coherent with what they said and air it again.

Luigi

Absolutely agree with you too Luigi!
Very happy that you stopped by and hope to 'see' more of you in the future.

Please keep us informed, tutti Broki italiani!
We will! Luigi is the first Italian Brokie I have met!

Where did this alleged 2nd version originate. Is it sanctioned by Lee et al. It all seems very odd.Same cuts and same excuse. !!!!

That's a very  good point! I bet there's no second version. They, RAI and Bravo, have  'mutilated' the only version.

BbM, I swear

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 01:58:37 pm »
Such mutilation can we consider that as gay-bashing?

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 04:16:36 am »
I am sooo excited!  :D  Have just found out that BbM will be aired again on 17th March, on RAI2! I should think this time is the uncut version as they promised. I am disappointed that it will be on after prime time though, at 23.40 hrs, I mean, there's plenty of sex on Italian TV all day long .....

A cut version of BbM was first aired on RAI2 last December, this caused a huge protest.

As much as I don't like watching Jack and Ennis speaking Italian (and I own two DVDs) I will watch it.

Will keep you posted ...
BbM, I swear

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 04:09:16 pm »
I am sooo excited!  :D  Have just found out that BbM will be aired again on 17th March, on RAI2! I should think this time is the uncut version as they promised. I am disappointed that it will be on after prime time though, at 23.40 hrs, I mean, there's plenty of sex on Italian TV all day long .....

A cut version of BbM was first aired on RAI2 last December, this caused a huge protest.

As much as I don't like watching Jack and Ennis speaking Italian (and I own two DVDs) I will watch it.

Will keep you posted ...

Good to know Friend!  Yes, definitely let us know if they show an un-edited version.  Taking out either TS1 or TS2 (and obviously the reunion kiss too) from BBM would make the movie's meaning sooooooooooo different.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 09:00:15 pm »
Let us know !

Vive la différence!

I pray those scenes will be added; so, do tell us afterwards !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 06:23:48 am »
To my knowledge Luigival and I are the only Bettermostians who live in Italy but just in case:
www.mymovies.it  emailed me the wrong info, have just checked RAI's teletext and BbM will be aired on Monday 16th, not 17th.

BbM, I swear

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 04:28:50 am »
Happy to report that TSN1, TSN2 and the Reunion Kiss this time were included.  Alleluia!  :D
They kept their promise, although I hope future screenings of BbM will be on at prime time.

Some things I picked on with regard to the translation (Apologies in advance for my English):

The coyote with balls on him the size of apples became the coyote with balls on him the size of melons (in the short story in Italian they were apples too).

TSN2, with the I am sorry, All right, which I have never been sure about, to me, in Italian, becames even more confusing ...  :-\

What  are you waitin' for, cowboy? A mating call? A mating call becomes An invitation in writing.

Ennis running down the stairs saying Jack fucking Twist: Non ci speravo più a quest'ora, It's late, I'd given up hoping you'd come, which, IMHO, doesn't reflect at all the expression of happiness on Ennis's face.

Jack Nasty. In the movie Jack il deviato, Jack  the pervert, in the short story Jack lo Sporcaccione, Jack the Dirty/Filthy man.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Italian subtitles differ too. I bought my DVDs in the UK.

IMHO while the translator of the short story has done a very good job,  I wouldn't say so of the movie, somehow, I suppose, they have to match the lip movements. Moreover, they don't sound as rough-spoken as they are supposed to.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:52:33 am by sel »
BbM, I swear

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 06:16:03 am »
Hey Sel, thanks for reporting back!

Happy to report that TSN1, TSN2 and the Reunion Kiss this time were included.  Alleluia!  :D
They kept their promise, although I hope future screenings of BbM will be on at prime time.

Yay!

Some things I picked on with regard to the translation (Apologies in advance for my English):

The coyote with balls on him the size of apples became the coyote with balls on him the size of melons (in the short story in Italian they were apples too).

:o Melons?  :o That poor animal wouldn even be able to walk :laugh:.But it's damn funny.

Jack Nasty. In the movie Jack il deviato, Jack  the pervert, in the short story Jack lo Sporcaccione, Jack the Dirty/Filthy man.

In German, they made it Jack, the pig. Which is a pretty good equivalent.

I bought my DVDs in the UK.

Yup, better stick to the original.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 07:08:02 am »
This is eerily similar to the hack job by Bravo we witnessed earlier this year. >:(

It sure is, the same excuse as well, we showed that version by mistake !!!!

What makes me so mad is that the media treat us like idiots. Do they not know we live in a world of global communication and so word spreads fast.
Of course they do, which makes the excuse even more spurious. Same old same old.At least invent a new reason for showing the cut version.

Or better still, try the truth  for a change. now there's a novel idea.