Author Topic: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?  (Read 415657 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?
« Reply #400 on: December 20, 2008, 11:51:30 pm »
Jack, I swear, that I always think of you, being my lover, and on Christmas too!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #401 on: December 24, 2008, 07:38:41 pm »
Jack I swear, that I am wishing you Merry Christmas Eve!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #402 on: January 30, 2014, 12:12:45 pm »
In an interview this morning on NPRs "Morning Edition" Annie Proulx and Charles Wuorinen spoke of the expansion of the characters in the Libretto of the Brokeback Mountain Opera. There is a scene of Alma in a wedding dress store.

Considering this libretto is coming from Proulx herself, it seems "Jack, I swear" is finally explained. Please follow the link:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2014/01/27/267225321/cowboys-in-love-brokeback-mountain-saddles-up-for-opera

And listen to the audio of the story, right about 7:05 you will hear:

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #403 on: January 31, 2014, 12:52:49 am »

Yes.....I can feel that very much, and when I picture Ennis saying "I swear", I can believe that is what he meant...

BUT WHY has it taken Proulx so long to disclose it......WHY?????
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #404 on: January 31, 2014, 06:52:35 am »
I think it's because in opera, Ennis can't just mumble. He has to wear his heart on his sleeve. I'll let you know tomorrow when I see the opera!

Offline coyoteman

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #405 on: January 07, 2016, 07:33:47 pm »
I have spent two days reading the posts on this long, long thread - fascinating and wonderful that so many have thought long and hard about the walloping conclusion of this great film.
While it was touched upon in a couple of posts, little discussion has been focused upon the context of the final "Jack, I swear -" line.  It is delivered to the closet, the powerful symbol and pink elephant character of the film.  The story is about homophobia in all it's layered and dangerously intertwined aspects:  the homophobia of society, of prevailing religion, of families and of the individuals - AND the absolute destruction that it wrecks upon each of these.
For homosexuality/gay/queer is not about a sex act or sexual preference but about love and where our love wants to go.  In the case of Jack and Ennis, love wants to go to someone of the same sex.  It is this that is countered with the silence of the closet, with homophobia.
Ennis is honoring where his love wanted to go by first tidying the shrine (symbolically moved from one closet to another) and vocalizing an oath.  Honored, yes, but hidden and silent inside Ennis' closet and by extension the closet of his family and society.
I believe that Annie is challenging each of us to dismantle the closet, to let love loose from it, to give it voice and name.
The final words must be left open ended, because it is till the love that dare not speak it's name.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #406 on: January 07, 2016, 07:50:31 pm »
Welcome, coyoteman. 

Wanna cup of coffee, dontcha?  Piece of cherry cake?

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #407 on: May 29, 2021, 06:08:24 pm »
Brokeback Mountain Ending Explained:
 What Really Happened To Jack?

By: Gokul Chettiyar - April 27, 2021

Brokeback Mountain is a 2005 American Romantic Drama that depicted the time frame between 1963 and 1983. Directed by Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain is a story of two homosexual men at a time of life when homosexuality was not just frowned upon but also seen as a crime. Ang Lee got attached to the project after previous attempts to do so went nary. The filming was finally confirmed when Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal got cast in the central roles in 2003. While the film stars Heath Ledger as Ennis Del Mar and Jake Gyllenhaal as Jack Twist, we are even accompanied by Michelle Willams and Anne Hathaway playing their respective wives. And even though it has been nearly 17 years since its initial release, people still question what happened at the end of the movie. So, this article will look into the Brokeback Mountain ending.

The film depicts a complex emotional and sexual relationship between two American male cowboys as they try to be together yet just can’t. This love story is one that caught people off guard as what it depicted was truly painful. There are people out there to this day who are terrified of coming out of their shells and showing their true selves. So a film that showed the adverse effects of being homosexual was only painful to watch. As the film ended, people were left with a few questions. These questions will be answered in this article as we get some insights provided by the film cast member as well.

https://otakukart.com/brokeback-mountain-ending-explained/

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #408 on: May 31, 2021, 06:20:07 pm »
Brokeback Mountain Ending Explained:
 What Really Happened To Jack?

I'm sorry, but this is a piece of crap.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #409 on: June 01, 2021, 09:09:43 pm »
:laugh:

I was wondering what people would think of it.  I only posted it because it was a recent piece on BBM. 

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!