Author Topic: Kerry Takes a Walk Down Memory Lane  (Read 16490 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Kerry Takes a Walk Down Memory Lane
« on: December 19, 2008, 05:14:04 am »
Kerry takes a walk down
Memory Lane

Sunrise over the Pacific Ocean, as seen from the cliffs of Narrabeen in Sydney.

My friend, George, is on vacation in Queensland, visiting his in-laws. He has asked me to take care of his treasured rose garden while he’s away. It’ll only be for a week. Just watering and light maintenance.

George lives at Narrabeen on Sydney’s Northern Beaches. Narrabeen is where I was raised and spent the first seventeen years of my life.

One morning, after watering George’s beautiful roses, I decide to set-off on a nostalgic walk down Memory Lane.

Come join me, won’t you? You’re very welcome to come along.

I take the short walk from George’s house, along the lakeside, estuary path that leads to Narrabeen beach, where the lake empties into the Pacific Ocean. It’s a beautiful, bright, clear, summer morning. The air is invigoratingly laced with the brisk, sharp saltiness of sea spray blowing off the ocean. The constant, rumbling ebb and flow of the breakers on the nearby beach accompany me as I walk on. There aren’t many people out at this early hour.

I continue along the path leading to the rocky platform of the reef, below the cliffs of Narrabeen headland. There’s a steep, precipitous cliff to my immediate left, a bright yellow and black sign warning, “Beware falling rocks.” To my right is the dazzling, golden sweep of Narrabeen beach as it stretches southward towards Collaroy and Long Reef. Just as I take this snap, an elderly lady tiptoes into frame, tentatively taking a morning paddle (may be necessary to scroll over to the right to see her). The large building on the beach, to the right of the picture is North Narrabeen Surf Life Saving Club, where big bronzed Aussie life savers can be found, in their tiny red Speedos. They not only look good, those life savers. They’ve been known to bring drowned surfers back from the brink of death, with their kiss of life.

The waves are breaking over the reef as the surf swells, so I decide against progressing further. Instead, I walk along the ocean wall enclosing the rock swimming baths. I have to jump to avoid the waves rolling in, as they crash over the wall. There are a few board riders bobbing on the waves in the distance.

I return along the path from whence I came. This is where the waters of the lake narrow, as they progress along their circuitous route, before emptying into the ocean. It looks peaceful on days such as this, but in storms and when there’s a king tide running, this tranquil waterway turns into a deadly, raging torrent, the sandbar swept away and deposited miles out to sea.  A school friend of mine was drowned near here.  He was English, aged nine, didn’t know the danger. We all lined the street in school uniform, as the hearse passed by. That’s Ocean Street bridge to the left.

To be continued . . . . . .

In the next leg of our walk, we will climb to the top of the cliff above the beach (Yes, the cliff with the falling rocks!) to see breathtakingly beautiful vistas of the New South Wales coastline.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Kerry Takes a Walk Down Memory Lane
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 03:35:58 pm »
Beautiful!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 03:53:09 am »
Thanks, Kelda. Let's continue on our walk, shall we?   :D

I continue walking along the lakeside estuary path, almost to the Ocean Street intersection. Before getting there, I take the wooden, cliff-side stairs to the top of the cliff. The stairs are firmly fixed to the heavily wooded cliff-face, making several twists and turns before reaching the top.

At the top of the cliff, I come to an overgrown path.Though it can’t be seen through the dense foliage, I am aware from the sound of the surf pounding on the reef below, that the sheer drop of the cliff is not far away. It’s peaceful here, protected from the biting sea breeze by the surrounding vegetation, the air warm and heavy with the scent of eucalyptus. The hearty, cliff-top scrub has the characteristic look of all such coastal flora – gnarled, bent, windswept, tough.

I come to a grassy clearing and walk towards the cliff-top lookout. I take a seat on the park bench to catch my breath, while I enjoy the beautiful view of the coast below.

East: The next four photos, commencing with this one, were all taken from the lookout seen in the previous photo and  should be viewed as a complete panoramic sequence, reading left (east) to right (west). This first photo is looking due east, straight out to sea. Far below, the ocean waves break on the reef at the base of the cliff. Over the distant curve of the horizon is New Zealand; beyond that, Peru.

South-East: The estuary, where the lake waters pass over the reef and empty into the ocean. Way off in the distance, across the water, can be seen Long Reef, stretching out into the Pacific Ocean. It was there that I first set-up house with George, back in the 1970s. Long Reef holds so many wonderfully happy memories for me. On a more somber note, Long Reef is where my ashes will be scattered one day. They are to be cast upon the waters on the night of the full moon, as the moon rises out of the ocean and the tide rushes out to sea. But not yet!

South: The beautiful Narrabeen coastline. North Narrabeen in the foreground. South Narrabeen, where I grew-up, in the middle distance. Collaroy in the far distance. Long Reef off camera, to the left. It is said that everyone of a certain age remembers exactly what they were doing when they heard of JFKs assassination. I’m no exception. I was on that stretch of golden sand in the immediate foreground when I heard. I was studying for my life saving certificate, practicing resuscitating a classmate. A fellow student rushed up to us on the sand, excitedly declaring, “Someone shot the American President?”

West: Narrabeen Lake estuary, with the coastal waters of the lake visible beyond the Ocean Street bridge and causeway. The waters of the lake proper stretch off camera to the west. A large building with a light-colored roof can be seen on the distant shore of the lake, close to the right of the photo (may be necessary to scroll to the right). It is my Alma Mater.

To be continued . . . . .

In the next leg, we'll walk along the beach to South Narrabeen, where I grew-up.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 04:04:38 am »
Thanks for posting these beautiful pictures Kerry, and taking us along on your walk. Those pictures take a while to load on dial-up, but they sure are worth it! :D

And just think - all the way over on those waves, way out in the distance, is ME standing there waving at you! :-*

I hope you think of that the next time you gaze out on the Pacific Ocean. :)

Thanks for sharing your pictures and tour with us Kerry! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 06:13:09 am »
Thanks for posting these beautiful pictures Kerry, and taking us along on your walk. Those pictures take a while to load on dial-up, but they sure are worth it! :D

And just think - all the way over on those waves, way out in the distance, is ME standing there waving at you! :-*

I hope you think of that the next time you gaze out on the Pacific Ocean. :)

Thanks for sharing your pictures and tour with us Kerry! :D

Next time I'm at Narrabeen, David, I promise I'll send a special, big wave across the ocean, just for you.  :-*   :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 01:55:16 pm »
wow, i wish i was there!!!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 08:42:01 pm »
Heavenly pictures friend! Thank you for taking us along on your walk!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 09:40:26 pm »
Heavenly pictures friend! Thank you for taking us along on your walk!

Stick around, Lee. We'll shortly be walking along the beach, so slip off your shoes and socks, roll up your trouser-legs and prepare yourself for some serious  paddling.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 01:06:15 am »
Kerry, this is exquisite.  I wonder how much this lovely landscape helped shape your lovely way of being.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 01:19:15 am »
Kerry, this is exquisite.  I wonder how much this lovely landscape helped shape your lovely way of being.

(Blush) That's such a sweet think to say, Clarissa. Thank you.  :-*

Stay close, because we'll be setting off along the beach shortly. And after that, we'll be feeding the ducks, down by the lake.   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 02:41:57 pm »
Kerry, I'm looking out my window at over a foot of snow (with more snow falling) and the temperature is around 5 degrees F.  What a lovely escape to enjoy these gorgeous pictures and your wonderfully descriptive narration!  :)

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 08:55:11 pm »
Kerry, I'm looking out my window at over a foot of snow (with more snow falling) and the temperature is around 5 degrees F.  What a lovely escape to enjoy these gorgeous pictures and your wonderfully descriptive narration!  :)

Thanks,
Marie

Glad you're enjoying it, Marie. Get your bathers on, because we'll be taking a dip in the ocean shortly.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 10:30:17 pm »
Lovely.  Am waiting excitedly for more.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 10:54:06 pm »
Lovely.  Am waiting excitedly for more.  :)

Me too, Kerry, when you're ready.  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 02:53:18 am »
I love looking at Kerry's pictures, and he's an excellent photographer too! I feel like I'm actually there when I look at his pictures. It's a nice switch from this cold and brutal weather we've been having here in the Midwest.

(Marie I sympathize with you!)

Although tomorrow they tell us it will be 70 F with severe thunderstorms and possible tornadoes in the area.  :-\

But don't let that stop you Kerry! Because we have a saying in Indiana:  "If you don't like the weather here, wait a minute".

It will switch back to bone chilling cold again, soon enough!  :laugh:

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 12:08:47 pm »
These pictures are beautiful, Kerry.  Thank you for sharing your memories with us!   :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 10:17:13 pm »

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words.  :-*

Let's continue our walk, shall we?  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 10:22:30 pm »

I take the wooden steps down to the lakeside path that leads to North Narrabeen beach. From there I walk along the beach to South Narrabeen, where I grew up. This photo shows South Narrabeen beach, looking south towards Collaroy in the middle distance and Long Reef in the far distance, as seen from the cul-de-sac at the end of the street where my family home was located. It’s still early, with few people out and about. The air is warm with a refreshing ocean breeze blowing. It was fun to paddle in the sea, as I walked along the beach. The water was quite cold and made my toes tingle.

I sit on the beach at the end of my street and gaze out to sea. If these sands could speak, oh what a tale they would tell. When one thinks of ghosts, the usual imagery that comes to mind is of haunted houses and graveyards. For me, however, here  be ghosts! This was my playground, when I was a child. My three older brothers were all volunteer life savers here. I spent much of my childhood on this beach. As I sit here today, my parents, brothers, childhood friends and family, are not far away. In fact, this apparently deserted beach is not deserted at all. I am surrounded by loved ones here today. For example, here’s a little chap I knew very well . . . . .

His name is Kerry.
He is a sensitive, shy, introspective child,
who loves to splash and play in the sea.
This photo was taken at the same place
the previous two photos were taken.

Next, we’ll feed the ducks, down by the lake.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 05:47:20 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 01:49:37 am »
Those are absolutely beautiful pictures of the beach and the ocean Kerry! And what a CUTE CUTE CUTE little boy you were! Awww! :-*

Did you remember to wave at me when you went to the beach? I'm no where NEAR the Pacific ocean (or ANY ocean for that matter... Lake Michigan is about as close to an ocean as I can get without driving hundreds and hundreds of miles) but on Christmas Day I stood out in my yard, faced to the southwest and waved at you! :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 02:31:41 am »
Those are absolutely beautiful pictures of the beach and the ocean Kerry! And what a CUTE CUTE CUTE little boy you were! Awww! :-*

Did you remember to wave at me when you went to the beach? I'm no where NEAR the Pacific ocean (or ANY ocean for that matter... Lake Michigan is about as close to an ocean as I can get without driving hundreds and hundreds of miles) but on Christmas Day I stood out in my yard, faced to the southwest and waved at you! :)

I not only waved, David. I also blew many kisses. I spent Christmas Day at Narrabeen, as I do every year. You would have been sound asleep on your Christmas Eve, when I was at Narrabeen on my Christmas Day.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 02:47:59 am »
I not only waved, David. I also blew many kisses. I spent Christmas Day at Narrabeen, as I do every year. You would have been sound asleep on your Christmas Eve, when I was at Narrabeen on my Christmas Day.  :D

And you were probably sound asleep when I waved at you! But at least we did it, right? And thanks so much for the kisses. I only waved at you.... but! the next time!! Well, I hope you are ready for the wave.. no the tsunami of kisses headed your way! :-*

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 03:06:26 am »

{{{ David }}}

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 04:35:41 pm »
WOW Kerry, these pictures are absolutely beautiful and your captions telling where we are at is great!!! Thank you.

Jack

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 05:53:02 pm »
Beee- UUUUU - ti- ful!!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 05:58:36 pm »

I'm glad you're enjoying our walk, Jack and Kelda.  :-*   :-*

Grab some bread crumbs, everyone! We'll shortly be feeding the ducks, down by the lake.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 06:47:36 pm »
You live in a very beautiful place, Kerry. Thanks for sharing

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 02:49:54 am »
I'm glad you're enjoying our walk, Jack and Kelda.  :-*   :-*

Grab some bread crumbs, everyone! We'll shortly be feeding the ducks, down by the lake.  :D

I've pulled off all the bread crust, put it in a bag, got my waders on and I'm ready to feed and swim with the ducks!!

Can't wait to see your pics, Kerry! :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 08:34:47 am »
I've pulled off all the bread crust, put it in a bag, got my waders on and I'm ready to feed and swim with the ducks!!

Can't wait to see your pics, Kerry! :D

The little duckies love bread crusts, David, so they will looove you! They are very tame and will waddle right on up to you on the shore, as soon as they spy your treats.  ;D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2008, 09:52:58 am »
Kerry, what a beautiful thread.  I am so envious I can't see straight.  The splendor of that place is just jaw-dropping.  Thanks so much for sharing your gorgeous homeland with us.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2008, 01:10:54 pm »
I need my vicarious sun - more photos and descriptions please Kerry!  ;D  :-*

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008, 02:04:37 pm »
Ah, I'm much more relaxed after viewing those beautiful beach scenes.  There's hardly a soul on them!  It seems to be an undiscovered paradise.  Thanks, Kerry!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008, 12:58:58 am »
And so to the lake, where the ducks await . . . .

May be necessary to scroll over ------>

I leave the beach and walk directly inland, along the street where my childhood home was once located. Our little, seaside bungalow was demolished years ago, to make way for an apartment building. Not far from the sea, I come to Narrabeen Lake. I walk along the lakeside path; the big, old, lichen-covered she-oak trees shading my progress. As a child, they reminded me of the apple-throwing trees in The Wizard of Oz. They still do.

I take a seat on a park bench, under the shade of the she-oaks, and gaze out over the tranquil waters of the lake. Ducks paddle close to shore. Memories come flooding back to me. This is only a short walk from my childhood
home and I had many happy times playing here when young.

I leave the path and walk down to the lake shore. Ducks outnumber people at this early hour. As they glide past, they quack gently to each other, as if in hushed, conspiratorial conversation.  The barely perceptible, gently murmuring ebb and flow of the wavelets, lap languorously at the shore. The air is moderately warm, carrying with it the distinctly subtle, fecund fragrance of lake water, mixed with the ever-present perfume of the eucalyptus trees.

As I walk back from the water’s edge, I appear to have attracted a cute, waddlesome entourage. I take a seat on a nearby park bench, open my knapsack, and share a banana sandwich with my new-found, feathered friends.

The path leads me closer to the reed-beds at the lake’s edge, where the boughs of the she-oaks hang low. It was near here that an old boatshed once stood. We children would hire canoes and paddle off for a day of high adventure; our parents stressing that we must keep close to the shoreline. My maternal grandparents lived next-door to us. My father and grandfather would sometimes hire a row-boat from the boatshed and enjoy a day of fishing together.

Next, our walk will take us up to the Collaroy Plateau escarpment, for some beautiful views of the coast and the lake.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2008, 03:28:23 am »
I LOVE your new pictures Kerry!! And I also love those ducks!! Look how cute they are!! I'll bet you had a lot of fun feeding them. Look at the little beige one in the back. He looks a bit shy. I'd probably try to coddle him. I'm a real sucker for shy animals. :)

And I can see what you mean about those trees. They remind me of the Wizard of Oz too! Those things hanging off the trees reminds me of those air plants I remember seeing in South Florida when I lived there. They looked like little fern type things and they would hang down off the tree limbs. They survived only on the air and any water that dripped down off the limbs. I'm not referring to the spanish moss. We had that too. This was something different. They had a name for it but I can't remember what it is.

I love your pictures Kerry! Thanks for posting them! I hope you go and visit the ducks real soon. They will be happy to see you again. :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2008, 05:23:07 am »
I love ducks too, David. They're sooo cuuute!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 09:13:27 am »
You live in a beautiful country.  Love the pics 

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2008, 11:10:25 am »
quack quack - love the photos!

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 02:40:12 pm »
Kerry,
I am not on broadband and it takes some time for your beautiful pics to load. So I am looking at them just a few at the time. I feel as if I am there with you. Your narration makes  it is a very special journey, much, much better then any tourist guide.
BbM, I swear

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 07:46:19 pm »

I'm so glad you're enjoying the walk. I always enjoy a nice walk, especially if it's in a pretty location.  :)

Make sure you rest-up, everyone, because we'll shortly be taking the steep, overgrown path to the top of the Collaroy Plateau escarpment, for some lovely views of the coast and the lake. Have your cameras with you!  ;)    :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 11:49:57 pm »
Let’s make the climb to Collaroy Plateau . . . . .

May be necessary to scroll over ---->

The path leads away from the water’s edge and starts to climb through the dense undergrowth towards Collaroy Plateau. This short-cut to the summit is known only to locals, specifically local children. The increasingly steep, serpentine path meanders through the bush as the warmth of the sun shines down on my back. In time, the path gives way to steep steps, cut into the bedrock of the escarpment. 

A beautiful vista greets me at the top.

Narrabeen coastline, looking north. The headland in the distance is where I started my walk. I walked along the beach to my street and then walked inland to the lake. In the foreground, to the left of this picture, near the lake’s edge, can be seen a traffic roundabout. That’s my street! My family lived at the ocean end of the street, to the right, off camera. In 1770,  Captain James Cook sailed up the coast here, as he charted the Australian east coast in his ship His Majesty’s Barque Endeavour. Cook claimed the east coast under instruction from King George III of England on 22 August 1770, naming eastern Australia “New South Wales.”

Captain James Cook RN, 1728 – 1779

Long before the arrival of Captain Cook, there lived on the banks of this lake an Aboriginal princess named Narrabeen. In the local Aboriginal dialect, the word Narrabeen means “swan.”  At school, we were taught the legend about the heroic young woman, Narrabeen, who ran to seek help from friendly neighbours, when her people were under attack from a hostile, invading tribe. Narrabeen, the beachside suburb of Sydney, is located approximately 15km north of the city.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2009, 03:14:02 pm »
wow. The area you grew up in looks gorgeous!

Maybe one day I can visit Oz and maybe even specifically there!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2009, 01:42:23 am »

Kerry, those pictures are absolutely beautiful. It's no wonder why you have so many wonderful memories of that beautiful part of the world. I love the picture up above. It very much reminds me of the Carribean island of Saint Maarten, part of the Dutch Antilles.

Thanks so much for posting those pictures. Now I feel all warm and toasty again! :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 10:18:48 am »
So I walk back to North Narrabeen via Ocean Street and help myself to some of George’s  beautiful roses (He said I could!), before driving home. The roses look so lovely on my coffee table:

Scroll over ---->

By way of an Appendix, here’s a map of the route I took:

I commenced my walk at George’s place, near the very top right corner of the map, just to the left of where Ocean Street exits the top of the map. I walked to where Birdwood Park is indicated in the top right corner, which is where the North Narrabeen beach and cliff-top photos were taken. I walked down the beach to the street where my childhood home was located at South Narrabeen. Our house was located where you see the “A” in the pink balloon. I left the beach and walked along my street to the lake, where I fed the ducks. I then took the path to Collaroy Plateau, near to where the Edgar Cornell Wildflower Garden is indicated on the map. I walked back to George’s house via Ocean Street.

The End
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 11:31:01 am »
Kerry, thank you so much for taking us on this journey.  I actually feel like I've been on a vacation WHILE I was on vacation here in Florida with Fiona.  I MUST see OZ some day, I just must.  I appreciate your taking the time to post these lovely, lovely photos, and I look forward to your next post from your homeland!
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2009, 05:16:21 pm »
I hope you give us some more walks soon!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2009, 01:22:01 am »
Bravo, Kerry!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2009, 07:59:09 am »
Many thanks to everyone who joined me on my Walk Down Memory Lane. And an extra big thank you to those of you who posted kind and encouraging messages along the way. It meant a great deal to me, having you walking along with me on this special journey into my past.  :-*    :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2009, 02:26:35 am »
Postscript . . . .

I had dinner with George at Narrabeen last night. After dinner, we went for a walk along the cliffs. George took this photo of me from the lookout where I commenced my Walk Down Memory Lane  last month. It was dusk and the sun was low on the western horizon, creating long, dark shadows on the beach below, and causing me to squint into the camera. There was a blustery wind blowing briskly off the sea, whipping up the waves and making me cling to the railing for support, against the wind's onslaught. Though the wind was fierce, there was no chill in its blast. It was a warm summer evening, bracingly laced with the tangy scent of sea spray.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2009, 04:19:08 am »
Beautiful Kerry, absolutely beautiful.......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Brokeback_Dev

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2009, 06:10:05 am »
Thank You Kerry.  That was awesome.  ;)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2009, 08:08:42 am »
Ta muchly for your kind words, Sue and Dev.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2009, 08:14:14 am »
It's warm in northen Sweden today, only - 1,8 degrees Celsius. It's snowing heavily. I'm thinking of you in a short sleeve shirt.....it looks heavenly!! :-*

Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2009, 08:44:00 am »
It's warm in northen Sweden today, only - 1,8 degrees Celsius. It's snowing heavily. I'm thinking of you in a short sleeve shirt.....it looks heavenly!! :-*

Berit

Yikes! That sure is cold! It is 11.30 on a warm summer night here in Sydney Towne. Not all is bliss, however. We have had some nasty wild fires on the city's outskirts. Fortunately, no loss of life. And storms have been predicted for later tonight and tomorrow. Probably won't get down to 1,8C though!  ;)   ;D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2009, 07:21:35 pm »
Yup, the lovely sun!  :) And the lovely Kerry! A great picture!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2009, 07:31:27 pm »

:-*  {{{ Kelda }}}  :-*
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2009, 06:33:26 pm »
Kerry!  How you doin' buddy?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2009, 09:17:55 am »
Kerry!  How you doin' buddy?

I'm tickety-boo thanks Chuck.  ;D  How's yourself?   :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2009, 10:41:01 am »
I'm tickety-boo thanks Chuck.  ;D  How's yourself?   :)

I'm doing well, thanks!  Hugs to you from snow covered NJ!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2009, 07:53:54 pm »

Very handsome young man there Kerry.  But that sitting on the rail fence looked decidedly dangerous..  Glad you

got away with it unscathed.  I will never be able to watch someone on a spot like that without a gut wrenching fear

hitting my stomach.  My husband and I had driven around a block one time scouting for a parking spot.  We made the

block after seeing a guy sitting on a place like that on our first trip by.  When we came back around, we saw the police

and a group of onlookers gathered on that sidewalk near the same place, after we got parked, and came back there...

we found  out he had lost his balance, and fell backward off the rail to the cement parking lot below, and died.  I get

terrified every time I see something that brings that back to mind...I am so glad you are safe....hugs..jan

Beautiful mind

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2009, 09:57:32 am »

Very handsome young man there Kerry.  But that sitting on the rail fence looked decidedly dangerous..  Glad you

got away with it unscathed.  I will never be able to watch someone on a spot like that without a gut wrenching fear

hitting my stomach.  My husband and I had driven around a block one time scouting for a parking spot.  We made the

block after seeing a guy sitting on a place like that on our first trip by.  When we came back around, we saw the police

and a group of onlookers gathered on that sidewalk near the same place, after we got parked, and came back there...

we found  out he had lost his balance, and fell backward off the rail to the cement parking lot below, and died.  I get

terrified every time I see something that brings that back to mind...I am so glad you are safe....hugs..jan

It's not as scary as it looks in the photo, Janice. There's a narrow bushy verge just on the other side of the fence, before the cliff drops away to the reef below. If I'd have fallen backwards, I probably would have just been ensnared in the tangle of undergrowth growing there.   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν