Author Topic: Kerry Takes a Walk Down Memory Lane  (Read 16523 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Kerry Takes a Walk Down Memory Lane
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008, 02:04:37 pm »
Ah, I'm much more relaxed after viewing those beautiful beach scenes.  There's hardly a soul on them!  It seems to be an undiscovered paradise.  Thanks, Kerry!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008, 12:58:58 am »
And so to the lake, where the ducks await . . . .

May be necessary to scroll over ------>

I leave the beach and walk directly inland, along the street where my childhood home was once located. Our little, seaside bungalow was demolished years ago, to make way for an apartment building. Not far from the sea, I come to Narrabeen Lake. I walk along the lakeside path; the big, old, lichen-covered she-oak trees shading my progress. As a child, they reminded me of the apple-throwing trees in The Wizard of Oz. They still do.

I take a seat on a park bench, under the shade of the she-oaks, and gaze out over the tranquil waters of the lake. Ducks paddle close to shore. Memories come flooding back to me. This is only a short walk from my childhood
home and I had many happy times playing here when young.

I leave the path and walk down to the lake shore. Ducks outnumber people at this early hour. As they glide past, they quack gently to each other, as if in hushed, conspiratorial conversation.  The barely perceptible, gently murmuring ebb and flow of the wavelets, lap languorously at the shore. The air is moderately warm, carrying with it the distinctly subtle, fecund fragrance of lake water, mixed with the ever-present perfume of the eucalyptus trees.

As I walk back from the water’s edge, I appear to have attracted a cute, waddlesome entourage. I take a seat on a nearby park bench, open my knapsack, and share a banana sandwich with my new-found, feathered friends.

The path leads me closer to the reed-beds at the lake’s edge, where the boughs of the she-oaks hang low. It was near here that an old boatshed once stood. We children would hire canoes and paddle off for a day of high adventure; our parents stressing that we must keep close to the shoreline. My maternal grandparents lived next-door to us. My father and grandfather would sometimes hire a row-boat from the boatshed and enjoy a day of fishing together.

To be continued . . . . .

Next, our walk will take us up to the Collaroy Plateau escarpment, for some beautiful views of the coast and the lake.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2008, 03:28:23 am »
I LOVE your new pictures Kerry!! And I also love those ducks!! Look how cute they are!! I'll bet you had a lot of fun feeding them. Look at the little beige one in the back. He looks a bit shy. I'd probably try to coddle him. I'm a real sucker for shy animals. :)

And I can see what you mean about those trees. They remind me of the Wizard of Oz too! Those things hanging off the trees reminds me of those air plants I remember seeing in South Florida when I lived there. They looked like little fern type things and they would hang down off the tree limbs. They survived only on the air and any water that dripped down off the limbs. I'm not referring to the spanish moss. We had that too. This was something different. They had a name for it but I can't remember what it is.

I love your pictures Kerry! Thanks for posting them! I hope you go and visit the ducks real soon. They will be happy to see you again. :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2008, 05:23:07 am »
I love ducks too, David. They're sooo cuuute!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 09:13:27 am »
You live in a beautiful country.  Love the pics 

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2008, 11:10:25 am »
quack quack - love the photos!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 02:40:12 pm »
Kerry,
I am not on broadband and it takes some time for your beautiful pics to load. So I am looking at them just a few at the time. I feel as if I am there with you. Your narration makes  it is a very special journey, much, much better then any tourist guide.
BbM, I swear

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 07:46:19 pm »

I'm so glad you're enjoying the walk. I always enjoy a nice walk, especially if it's in a pretty location.  :)

Make sure you rest-up, everyone, because we'll shortly be taking the steep, overgrown path to the top of the Collaroy Plateau escarpment, for some lovely views of the coast and the lake. Have your cameras with you!  ;)    :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 11:49:57 pm »
Let’s make the climb to Collaroy Plateau . . . . .

May be necessary to scroll over ---->

The path leads away from the water’s edge and starts to climb through the dense undergrowth towards Collaroy Plateau. This short-cut to the summit is known only to locals, specifically local children. The increasingly steep, serpentine path meanders through the bush as the warmth of the sun shines down on my back. In time, the path gives way to steep steps, cut into the bedrock of the escarpment. 

A beautiful vista greets me at the top.

Narrabeen coastline, looking north. The headland in the distance is where I started my walk. I walked along the beach to my street and then walked inland to the lake. In the foreground, to the left of this picture, near the lake’s edge, can be seen a traffic roundabout. That’s my street! My family lived at the ocean end of the street, to the right, off camera. In 1770,  Captain James Cook sailed up the coast here, as he charted the Australian east coast in his ship His Majesty’s Barque Endeavour. Cook claimed the east coast under instruction from King George III of England on 22 August 1770, naming eastern Australia “New South Wales.”

Captain James Cook RN, 1728 – 1779

Long before the arrival of Captain Cook, there lived on the banks of this lake an Aboriginal princess named Narrabeen. In the local Aboriginal dialect, the word Narrabeen means “swan.”  At school, we were taught the legend about the heroic young woman, Narrabeen, who ran to seek help from friendly neighbours, when her people were under attack from a hostile, invading tribe. Narrabeen, the beachside suburb of Sydney, is located approximately 15km north of the city.

To be continued . . . . .
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2009, 03:14:02 pm »
wow. The area you grew up in looks gorgeous!

Maybe one day I can visit Oz and maybe even specifically there!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/