Author Topic: ADDICTED TO CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS?  (Read 83974 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: ADDICTED TO CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS?
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 07:53:55 pm »
I bought a fancy christnmas tree ornament at the rockefeller centre in NYC. It has its own little presentation box & is hand blown and hand painted with a scene of the big rockefeller xmas tree.

That was my treat from NYC!

Its now apacked in the Christmas box, so once I bring it out I'll take a photo!
:D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline zephaniah

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 12:42:05 pm »
Addicted?  Maybe to the brink of needing treatment.  I have ornaments that range from the antique (the nicest is a beautifully preserved garland of mini glass ornaments) to the funky (some WWII globe ornaments that are mostly clear - to save the paint for military use - with cardboard crowns - to save the metal for the military) to the wicked pricey (Waterford, Radke).  My Dad died in 2003, and I haven't had a tree since then, but I still buy ornaments.  These days I do buy fewer, only two or three/year, but I do not want to stop, so maybe it's a hobby, not an addiction...although I can't imagine stopping.  Sadly, I even remember the 'victim' ornaments, the beauties that 'died' in service.  Do I need help?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 03:09:47 pm »
SOunds like you might be! What do you do with the ornaments if you dont show the pretty with a tree? Pictures please!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 08:41:57 am »
Yesterday, just out of curiosity, I typed "vintage Christmas tree ornaments" into the search box on eBay. OMG, there were literally thousands of listings of vintage ornaments!  :o

I myself may be trying to score a small, vintage, aluminum Christmas tree.  ;D

That's actually kind of funny. When I was a very small boy my grandparents had a floor-model aluminum tree, and I hated it because you couldn't put lights on it. OTOH, at the same time, we used to put a small aluminum tree in my room, so maybe that's why I'm feeling drawn to try to get one for my Christmas tree this year.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 11:06:08 am »
I may not be addicted, but in honor of this thread, I decided to start a new tradition and buy one new and special ornament every year, preferrably to be bought on vacations, so it's also a souvenir.

Two weeks ago I was in the Black Forest and bought my first souvenir-special ornament: a glass bowl with two 'holes' in it and a tiny miniature Christmas tree inside the glass bowl.
Will post a pic when I have one.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 11:09:11 am »
Yesterday, just out of curiosity, I typed "vintage Christmas tree ornaments" into the search box on eBay. OMG, there were literally thousands of listings of vintage ornaments!  :o

I myself may be trying to score a small, vintage, aluminum Christmas tree.  ;D

That's actually kind of funny. When I was a very small boy my grandparents had a floor-model aluminum tree, and I hated it because you couldn't put lights on it. OTOH, at the same time, we used to put a small aluminum tree in my room, so maybe that's why I'm feeling drawn to try to get one for my Christmas tree this year.

Did I get you right and you're talking about two different things? Small floor-model aluminum trees and even smaller ornaments, looking like those floor models?
Anyway, good luck Jeff!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 11:15:35 am »
Did I get you right and you're talking about two different things? Small floor-model aluminum trees and even smaller ornaments, looking like those floor models?
Anyway, good luck Jeff!

Close, but not exactly. I'm not thinking of looking for an ornament that looks like an aluminum Christmas tree, just maybe looking for a small, table-top-size aluminum tree.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 07:48:40 pm »
"Aluminum" as an adjective modifying "tree"? That does not compute  ???

On these fine end-of-fall days I like to tromp around looking for a nice twiggy branch to set up on the stair landing in a crock and hang my leftover ornaments on it, that won't fit on the regular tree. Or a deer or elk antler, anything like that. This year I scored early...the elk came through and made a mess of our large pea bush. The bush was getting out of control so I just think of it as natural pruning. I stuck it in some sand and it's all ready to go.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 11:02:16 pm »
Close, but not exactly. I'm not thinking of looking for an ornament that looks like an aluminum Christmas tree, just maybe looking for a small, table-top-size aluminum tree.

Jeff, have you seen this site:

http://aluminumchristmastrees.net/store/categories/1/christmas-trees/

I think you can get your tabletop tree for under $10.  (To save time, shop trees in ascending order pricewise.)

And because I'm nosy, I just have to ask:  Did your parents use a color wheel with their tree?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 03:41:23 am »
I got curious and clicked Fran's link. The idea of aluminum Christmas trees sounded strange to me when Jeff mentioned it, but when I looked it up now - OMG, only in America! :o

And the ornaments going along with it:

Only in America you could sell something like this as Christmas ornaments :laugh: ;)