Author Topic: ADDICTED TO CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS?  (Read 83975 times)

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: ADDICTED TO CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 08:23:05 am »
You guys are into some very interesting things!

Tell me, what are the oldest ones you have? I have a very faded red icicle made of something fuzzy, and a Santa Claus made of the same material with a small carved wooden face the size of a quarter. Again,both are small and 'flattish'. I've heard of a material called chenille, but don't have a clue---is that possibly what they are? They have wire bases. I believe they're from the first decade of the 20th century and used to belong to a family friend named Clara. Matter of fact, she and my mother were the two people I saw BBM with for the very first time...couldn't have been with two better people for my virgin viewing !

Clara is in her 80's and has a mind sharp as a tack. She actually remembered and said they were put away for good and were 'too old' when she was a girl in Grammar School-----which means they hadn't been used in about 70 years from when I found them in her basement, and this is the first year I'VE used them. She said I could have them. And she also gave me some very old glass ornaments...the usual 'bells' from the 30's through the early 50's plus a green glass 'top', 2 pinecones, & a few others from the 20's into the 30's.

It's odd, with all the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of ornaments in my mother's collection, we have very few old ornaments in my family; most date from the 70's on up. So these were a nice addition to, uh, MINE lol... Katrina had a LOT but as said, most were stolen when we had all the reconstruction done.

I think you guys have done more 'theme' work then me, by far. I just like good ornaments>>>which means there isn't any real 'theme'. I put all the Santa Claus ornaments which were suitable on the fireplace mantle [well, it's a themelol], along with all the Baccarat angels I bought my wife last year on ebay. I'd say I'll put pictures but I'm the WORSE, and mean the WORSE---hell I have photos from the ESTES PARK gathering which haven't been posted!!!! Except on facebook  ::)

I'd really like to see that silver and gold masterpiece....
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 08:29:59 am »
"Affordable style for your home":  www.grandinroad.com
By the way--- a 300 dollar cheesecake???LOLOLOLOL

oh
my
god!!!!

what will they think of next??

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 08:31:45 am »
Interesting thread!

I used to collect a lot of Christmas ornaments, antique ones!

Why is that feather tree so expensive?
Not a clue Artiste!

I pity the naked birds LOL

But I've heard those feather trees are beautiful

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 11:45:54 am »
Seen one, but can not remember it to be beautiful!

I wonder how that all started?

Do you know?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 07:26:57 pm »
My mum has one Christmas Tree decoration left from a set, which she treasures. She always has a fit when she brings the decorations out cos she thinks she has lost it. But we always know where she has put it frm the eyar before. (She has put it n the same place for the last god... 14 years!

Its a Xmas decoration that her dad brought home from a foreign trip when she was a child (he was a deep sea diver) its a little santa. It has almost like a wax face (which is smaller than your pinky nail) and his body is made from red wool. It's like a little stick man with a face. Its literally as wide as your index fingers and half the length of it. Its tiny and a bit ragged now but its a staple on the tree and sits at the top near the star.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 07:54:16 pm »
That sounds so beautiful Kelda!

May we see a photo of it?

Please!

Au revoir,
hugs!  I could not remember where to find the Christmas tree to-day, and mother did saying that it was in her bedroom! I usually place it in the garage and then can not find it; so I know that she purchased another one last year! Here pic of it a bit... with that small angel that my gay brother purchased for her many, many years ago when he was a saleman in a store! That angel used to light up!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 06:14:48 am »
I'm not a ornament-aholic, but I have one ornament that is especially dear to me. It's my favorite ornament since I was a child. When I moved out from my dad's place, I took it with me, and it's on the top of my tree every year:

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 10:32:42 am »
Hey, we have 1 similkiar to yours Chrissi!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 12:23:18 am »
My favorite ornament is a mauve glass ball with deer romping around its equator. I bought it when I was nine years old...my mother said each of us children could select one ornament, and it's been with me ever since.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 11:46:26 am »
I bought a fancy christnmas tree ornament at the rockefeller centre in NYC. It has its own little presentation box & is hand blown and hand painted with a scene of the big rockefeller xmas tree.

That was my treat from NYC!

Its now apacked in the Christmas box, so once I bring it out I'll take a photo!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/