Author Topic: <-- Introduce Yourself -->  (Read 858929 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: <-- Introduce Yourself -->
« Reply #510 on: December 11, 2006, 08:56:43 pm »
Thanks for those unsolicited compliments.  ;)

Yes, he's always been a happy soul.  Except for that colicky period, when he screamed like a banshee and fought like a marlin between the hours of 5 and 7 p.m. every night for a month.  Ed used to swaddle him up and walk around the block, just holding him tight, trying to calm him down.  I'd say, "Well, look at it this way - he's going to be a lively person."  Boy, was I right about that one.

And Katherine, it's funny how he looks so much like both of us at the same time.  He's got Ed's mouth, but apparently my overbite (sorry, Will).  He's got Ed's eyebrows, but my eyes.  And he's got both of our dimples.  We don't know where the heck his nose came from - we think from Ed's Mom's family.
No more beans!

Offline CarlaMom2

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #511 on: December 12, 2006, 10:01:34 pm »
How adorable!!!!!!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #512 on: December 13, 2006, 03:23:14 am »
Thank you for your warm words of welcome. I am thrilled to have found this safe haven. This happy place surrounded by like-minded friends. I look forward to spending many hours in your company in future.
LOL
Kerry  :)

Kerry,
I have read your post here, gone away, thought, gone away, thought some more, and I just still don't have adequate words to express how moved I am.  I was stuck for awhile on WHAT could have happened?!  But that's not helpful nor productive.  Now, I think I am simply in awe of your generosity of heart and spirit as an example of love transcending all.  We are thrilled that you found us, that's for certain!  Welcome, friend, and be at home.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #513 on: December 13, 2006, 08:44:49 pm »
Hi. I am a near-40, married, female, heterosexual, Psychologist. “Psychologist, heal thyself”, right? Well, not entirely. Since my initial viewing of BBM on Sunday evening, I have felt completely overwhelmed with thoughts and emotions, and what the movie represents on a larger scale, as well as how it applies to my own life. Of course, I’ve been forced to go to work in between being so distracted these past few days. The welling up of tears during moments when I am alone is overwhelming. I realize that many people who saw the movie a year ago have had time to process it, and perhaps move beyond the initial stages. A fresh wound of the heart was just opened for me. And it’s a gusher. I googled for images of the ‘dozy embrace’ so that I could sneak glances at it during the day on my computer. This has brought me great comfort over the past few days.

I mentioned to my husband that I watched BBM on HBO Sunday evening. So that I would not pre-influence his perceptions of the movie, I said very little (but wanted to say so much!) -  other than to tell him that it was very powerful and that I could not stop thinking about it. I suggested that he watch it by himself first (so that I would not inhibit his own process during the movie), and that then, we should watch it together and discuss it. He is open to this. I don’t know what I will do though if he is not as gripped by this movie as I am. I honestly can’t take a second viewing of the movie right now.

I don’t want to make a long post (but I probably did), - I am so glad there is a support forum. I’ve actually never even written to a support forum before. Thanks for being there. From reading your posts, you all really do understand regardless of how many or few times the movie has been viewed, regardless of one’s sexual orientation, and the intensity of the experience. BBM is a story about love and it has an intense hold on me right now.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #514 on: December 13, 2006, 09:04:11 pm »
Hi. I am a near-40, married, female, heterosexual, Psychologist. “Psychologist, heal thyself”, right? Well, not entirely. Since my initial viewing of BBM on Sunday evening, I have felt completely overwhelmed with thoughts and emotions, and what the movie represents on a larger scale, as well as how it applies to my own life. Of course, I’ve been forced to go to work in between being so distracted these past few days. The welling up of tears during moments when I am alone is overwhelming. I realize that many people who saw the movie a year ago have had time to process it, and perhaps move beyond the initial stages. A fresh wound of the heart was just opened for me. And it’s a gusher. I googled for images of the ‘dozy embrace’ so that I could sneak glances at it during the day on my computer. This has brought me great comfort over the past few days.

I mentioned to my husband that I watched BBM on HBO Sunday evening. So that I would not pre-influence his perceptions of the movie, I said very little (but wanted to say so much!) -  other than to tell him that it was very powerful and that I could not stop thinking about it. I suggested that he watch it by himself first (so that I would not inhibit his own process during the movie), and that then, we should watch it together and discuss it. He is open to this. I don’t know what I will do though if he is not as gripped by this movie as I am. I honestly can’t take a second viewing of the movie right now.

I don’t want to make a long post (but I probably did), - I am so glad there is a support forum. I’ve actually never even written to a support forum before. Thanks for being there. From reading your posts, you all really do understand regardless of how many or few times the movie has been viewed, regardless of one’s sexual orientation, and the intensity of the experience. BBM is a story about love and it has an intense hold on me right now.

WELCOME TO BETTERMOST BBM Cat!!

Many of us have literally watched Brokeback Mountain close to 100 times, and we still get emotional each time we watch it.

Yes, this is a terrific support forum. Everyone is very nice and helpful here. If you have any questions or need any help, feel free to pm me. If you see an interesting thread, be sure to post something in it. Don't be shy!

Once again, Welcome!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #515 on: December 13, 2006, 10:22:19 pm »
Thank you David for the warm welcome. This is a great forum for support and interesting discussions, which I hope to participate in - I've enjoyed reading so many thoughtful insights and have learned much in my short BBM career.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #516 on: December 13, 2006, 11:11:34 pm »
Welcome, BBM-Cat.  I can't tell you how much I understand your wanting your husband to be moved by it like you do.  I saw it for the first time last January.  And waited until April, when it was released on DVD, for mine to finally see it.  He didn't have reservations for any particular reason other than that he is not quite as much of a movie buff as I am and he was perhaps put off by just how overwhelmed I was by it (and continue to be).

Your suggestion that your husband watch it alone is a good one.  My husband watched it with me.  But it was so important to me that he watch it in an undistracted state that I remained completely silent through the whole thing - I literally had to bite my tongue a couple of times to keep myself from making a comment or asking him what he thought of this or that.  I just sat there like a statue.  And he wept openly when Ennis found the shirts.  I've never seen him do that in 18 years of knowing him - not even when his mother or beloved dogs died.  The tears just streamed silently down his face.  I was relieved beyond description.  After three months of loving the film so deeply, I seriously thought it would be the end of our marriage if he didn't at least begin to understand it.

As sfericsf (Eric) and others here have said more eloquently than I, you take from this movie what you bring to it.  It took me 15 viewings to finally have my own psychological breakthrough - I kept feeling compelled to watch it again and again, I'm convinced, because it was trying to tell me something.  It indeed was, and it did.

Enjoy the ride.  It will be a long and wonderful one.

No more beans!

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #517 on: December 14, 2006, 12:40:57 am »
Hi ednbarby - thank you for the welcome! I’ve read many of your thoughtful posts. Sounds like watching BBM was a positive experience for your husband as well as for you. There is something so powerfully cathartic about this movie. I’m glad you can now both share in the wonderful gift together. You got to experience your husband’s raw reaction, which I hope to experience when we both watch it together. That was such a beautiful description.

Overall, I don’t think my husband has any particular reservations other than expecting the movie to be ‘stereotypical’. I can’t wait until he discovers it is far from that! I loved your description of watching the movie together – I feel I would do the same! I’d have to restrain myself from commenting or asking for his interpretation. You can bet I’ll direct him to this support forum if he’s interested, after seeing it.

That’s interesting “you take from this movie what you bring to it” – I’m wondering if I’m so captivated by the movie because of what I don’t bring to it, or what needs attention in my life. Speaking of what needs attention right now – I’ve got to finish my work for tomorrow or I run the risk of getting even more sidetracked than I have been over the past several days. Hard to push it from my mind but I must for now. Nice talking with you.

mvansand76

« Reply #518 on: December 14, 2006, 08:47:17 am »
Hi ednbarby - thank you for the welcome! I’ve read many of your thoughtful posts. Sounds like watching BBM was a positive experience for your husband as well as for you. There is something so powerfully cathartic about this movie. I’m glad you can now both share in the wonderful gift together. You got to experience your husband’s raw reaction, which I hope to experience when we both watch it together. That was such a beautiful description.

Overall, I don’t think my husband has any particular reservations other than expecting the movie to be ‘stereotypical’. I can’t wait until he discovers it is far from that! I loved your description of watching the movie together – I feel I would do the same! I’d have to restrain myself from commenting or asking for his interpretation. You can bet I’ll direct him to this support forum if he’s interested, after seeing it.

That’s interesting “you take from this movie what you bring to it” – I’m wondering if I’m so captivated by the movie because of what I don’t bring to it, or what needs attention in my life. Speaking of what needs attention right now – I’ve got to finish my work for tomorrow or I run the risk of getting even more sidetracked than I have been over the past several days. Hard to push it from my mind but I must for now. Nice talking with you.

Welcome BBM-Cat! It's so beautiful to see that more and more people are being captivated by the beauty of BBM... I have tears in my eyes just reading your post. I hope you will be able to share your experience with your husband and that he responds in the same way to it! Welcome to Bettermost!

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #519 on: December 14, 2006, 09:02:46 am »
Hi BBM-Cat! Just wanted to add my welcome to the others that have been posted, and to say you've joined a warm and loving family here. What I love about this forum is the diversity of people who contribute to it, but what we all have in common is an open heart to all that this wonderful film has to share with us. I've made some close and very dear friends here and it's gone some way to restoring my faith in the essential goodness of people. Again, WELCOME!! :D
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!