Author Topic: <-- Introduce Yourself -->  (Read 858560 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: <-- Introduce Yourself -->
« Reply #520 on: December 15, 2006, 12:07:41 am »
Hey there, Kerry,

I am so glad that you joined us here.  I don't think you should factor pride into the tears.  Let them come whenever and wherever.  For me, I still wax and wane like that beloved moon and have given up trying to make any real sense of it - I guess sometimes those unhealed wounds are more sensitive than at other times.

Thanks for sharing the details of your story with Gerard.  If you want a good cry, you should check out Jeff Wrangler's short story, The Grieving Plain.  A link to it, and other stories by Jeff are in this thread:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=520.msg5323#msg5323

The Grieving Plain had my tears flowing so heavy I couldn't see the screen while I sat at my desk - my mother thought something was desperately wrong, and I had to get a grip before she completely freaked ;).  But I still re-read it and cry every time.

Also, since you mentioned the early days of the AIDS epidemic and the ensuing panic...(Cannot believe the idea of exile to the Great Barrier Reef!  I mean, I believe you, but Criminy)...I was wondering if you've seen the film Longtime Companion?  And if so, what you thought of it.  It is set in the early 80's US, and I liked it quite a lot, though it definitely has an 80's movie feel.  I've been watching a lot of GLBT films since Brokeback Mountain, trying to get up to speed.  There's a thread someplace around here with recommended movies and reviews and all if you're interested.  I was only 12 in 1980, so I wasn't very aware of what was what back then.

Again - I'm glad you're here, Kerry - let's try to support each other in finishing Annie's story in our own lives.

Best,
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 15, 2006, 08:02:48 am »
Hi Lynne,

Thank you for recommending "The Grievng Plain." I will visit there straight after I sign-off from you. My second-favourite GLBT movie (guess what my favourite is?! LOL!) is "Beautiful Thing." It's a gorgeous love story set in working-class London in the late '90s. Unlike our favourite movie, "Beautiful Thing" has a strong feel-good  element to its predominantly upbeat romantic theme. As the title suggests, it is a truly beautiful story (have a hanky with you!). Especially look out for my favourite scene depicting Jamie and Ste's first kiss. It's a lovely, feel-good story - and very touching, too. It's available on DVD. I can also recommend "Maurice," based on the classic E.M.Forster ("A Room with a View" / "A Passage to India") novel, starring Hugh Grant as a young Cambridge undergraduate of ambiguous sexuality. Another beautiful, timeless love story. Enjoy!

Fond best wishes,

Kerry
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:36:56 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #522 on: December 15, 2006, 08:09:53 am »
Hi Lynne,

Thank you for recommending "The Grievng Plain." I will visit there straight after I sign-off from you. My second-favourite GLBT movie (guess what my favourite is?! LOL!) is "Beautiful Thing." It's a gorgeous love story set in working-class London in the late '90s. Unlike our favourite movie, "Beautiful Thing" has a strong feel-good  element to it's predominantly upbeat romantic theme. As the title suggests, it is a truly beautiful story (have a hanky with you!). Especially look out for my favourite scene depicting Jamie and Ste's first kiss, photographed beautifully, as they walk home after visiting a gay bar for the first time. It's a lovely, feel-good story - and very touching, too. It's available on DVD. Enjoy.

Fond best wishes,

Kerry

Kerry, I LOVE 'Beautiful Thing' - such a sweet, sweet story and the two leads have wonderful chemistry. I've just had a look at 'The Grieving Plain' myself and it's very emotive. I really should stop reading this stuff at work though... :'( ::)
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 15, 2006, 08:25:10 am »
 :o Wow! I just noticed that I've been promoted to Junior Ranch Hand! Yeee-Haaa!  :laugh:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #524 on: December 15, 2006, 08:58:59 am »
Hi Lynne,

Thank you for recommending "The Grievng Plain." I will visit there straight after I sign-off from you. My second-favourite GLBT movie (guess what my favourite is?! LOL!) is "Beautiful Thing." It's a gorgeous love story set in working-class London in the late '90s. Unlike our favourite movie, "Beautiful Thing" has a strong feel-good  element to it's predominantly upbeat romantic theme. As the title suggests, it is a truly beautiful story (have a hanky with you!). Especially look out for my favourite scene depicting Jamie and Ste's first kiss. It's a lovely, feel-good story - and very touching, too. It's available on DVD. I can also recommend "Maurice," based on the classic E.M.Forster ("A Room with a View" / "A Passage to India") novel, starring Hugh Grant as a young Cambridge undergraduate of ambiguous sexuality. Another beautiful, timeless love story. Enjoy!

Fond best wishes,

Kerry

Kerry-

I also love, love, love Maurice, I read the novel for literature classes in high school and after I read it I saw the movie and I was stunned, I have been a Rupert Graves fan ever since...  :) I have also seen Beautiful thing and you are right, it's a truly beautiful story and the actors are amazing.

Cograts on being promoted!

Mel

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #525 on: December 15, 2006, 09:12:10 am »
Hi Saucycobblers, thank you for the warm welcome! This is such a great forum...so many insightful posters. Makes me wish I'd seen the movie a year ago but I am just that much more intrigued. Have a great day!

Hi BBM-Cat! Just wanted to add my welcome to the others that have been posted, and to say you've joined a warm and loving family here. What I love about this forum is the diversity of people who contribute to it, but what we all have in common is an open heart to all that this wonderful film has to share with us. I've made some close and very dear friends here and it's gone some way to restoring my faith in the essential goodness of people. Again, WELCOME!! :D
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline taj

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #526 on: December 15, 2006, 04:40:18 pm »
Hey all
This will be my first post in here and sort of comfortable seeing familiar names around the board
This place looks different and probably it has improved a lot since last I visited upon an invitation by fellow BBM-IMDb friends. I can still remember the big banner thanking everyoneI was reluctant to register for I was so caught up with the IMDb already. Few invitations came along until today's PM received updating me on the upcoming Brokiefest! Awesome itineraries line-up! I'm sure it will be a blast hehe...

I'm not very good in introduction...I'm 33 years young, male, hetero, status (complicated). I'm a Malaysian, Christian...

BBM is banned in Malaysia so I have no other choice but to buy the pirated copy. I'm a brokie since then, lost count how many times I watched it. I must admit that BBM had helped me in dealing with the subject matter even better. I thanked fellow brokies for their input

I was banking on Ledger to be the next A-list star and that's how I was brought to BBM and no doubt he did it and with a blast. It's late (rather dawn) in here as I have a deadline to meet will probably take a quick nap later

I look forward to enjoy myself in here
Cheers all...
taj

It's so easy to fall in love O0 ::) :D ;) It's so easy to fall in love

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #527 on: December 15, 2006, 04:43:51 pm »
Welcome, taj! Come in, make yourself at home. You'll have a cuppa coffee, won't you? Piece of cherry cake?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

mvansand76

« Reply #528 on: December 15, 2006, 05:11:10 pm »
Welcome Taj, nice to have you here!

:)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #529 on: December 15, 2006, 07:43:03 pm »
Welcome to our humble abode, Taj.  It's very comfortable and cozy here.  :)
No more beans!