Author Topic: <-- Introduce Yourself -->  (Read 858959 times)

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
Re: Wanted to Introduce Myself
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2006, 01:15:14 am »
Hello everyone.

I am Kelda and am 24 from Scotland.

Hi Kelda,

I love your country! I spend 10 days there in 2001, in Edinburgh, on Loch Ness by Urquhart (sp?) Castle, and on the Isle of Skye. I loved every minute of it. The breath-taking scenery, gorgeous music. rich history, and the warm, friendly, jovial people. And the killer, knee-weakening accents! I know, it's we Americans who have the accents. Forgive my linguocentrism.  ;) Something we still chuckle over that happened to my dad when we were i Edinburgh....My dad had to take a bus out to a car rental place. He wasn't sure which bus would take him there. A bus pulled up and my dad asked the driver if the bus was going where he needed. The bus driver couldn't understand my dad's American accent, and asked him to repeat the question. Still no dice. So he let that bus go. But the same thing happened with the next bus. And the third one! No one could decipher my dad's American accent! I love that.

Anyhow, the Scottish "accent" (can't think of a good neutral term) is my absolute favorite in the whole wide world! If I can find a Scottish Jew (with whom I can fall in-love) to marry I will be the happiest woman on earth! Waking up to that every morning would be a thrill. Years ago, I actually dreamt I had a Scottish accent surgically implanted! If only that were possible! Still, someday, I'd like to get a dialect coach to help me cultivate an accurate one. Boy, I'm gushing. Hope you like gushing.  :laugh:

Cheers,
Keren/ELJ
Jack Nasty loves you!

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2006, 08:33:52 am »
So much to do, so much life to live, and SO LITTLE TIME!!!!  :-\  There just ain't never enough time, never enough, is there Jack? Dealing with finity has been a major existential struggle for me the last year, or so. A very dear friend of mine coined a phrase I now find myself using often: "sucks being finite." Well, it does. And I don't mean mortality, per se, though that sure figures in there. But mostly I mean that time is a limited and finite resource, much like money. And, the older we get, energy. (I wince at the sadness of these cold hard truths.) So many books so little time applies to much mor than books. It applies to everything!!!

Ciao Keren,
and welcome/benvenuta to Bettermost. You're right! there's never enough time, never enough...
Luigi
They were two friends of mine

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2006, 02:55:38 pm »
My goodness....WELCOME to all our new people...<too many to name here> and I HOPE you all find a peaceful home here at our little campfire!!  I've been away from our forum here...for a bit of mourning I needed to do....after losing my DEAREST friend to AIDS!!  I just couldn't seem to get my 'thinking' together well enough to say ANYTHING close to intelligible.  I THINK I'm getting close now though...finally!! 

I was finally getting it together after my traumatic upheaval due to Brokeback Mountain and  our 'boys'.  And then my friend decided to give up the ghost.  That KICKED me waaaaaaay back for a while.  I'm like ALL of my fellow Brokaholics here in our cozy place.  I was BLOWN away too....like nothing had EVER done to me before.  I was stunned....paralyzed emotionally....felt like a volcano was about to erupt...DEEP inside my body and spirit. 

I'm stepping out now....again!  I'm starting to see the sunshine in the clearing...I can smell the fresh moss as Ennis and Jack move slowly on their path.  I can inhale the sweetness of their love for each other....I can feel the warmth of their embrace.  Ahhhhh...Brokeback...you've changed my life forever. 

But enough about MY feelings....it's SO wonderful to read your posts....and relish the thoughts from all of you....and wrap my arms around each and every one of you.  Again....my most sincere welcome to you ALL!!  And a warm loving HUG....to all of my 'already pals' who have helped sustain me through the sorrow I've been through. 

I love you......MUCH LOVE....Nancy   :-*
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Juan

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2006, 10:22:03 am »
Hi everybody,

Well, finally I am here, thanks to Ray and Jude Wang. I should be long time ago as I received the invitation a month ago but just too busy to explore in here. Still busy and actually working in the office but decided to 'sneak in' for a little while and say hello to everybody.

For those that have been chatting in Pierre Tremblay, you should know me. But since I am new here, I would just have a brief introduction about myself. My name is Juan, in Cardiff, Wales, UK and I am 32 years old. Love Brokeback Mountain and have been always a fan of Ang Lee.

And guess what? I have just received my BBM DVD today through post as it is being released in the UK today. Can't wait to watch the interviews in there but I would have to wait till I finished my gym and Yoga session this evening ;)

OK, got to get back to work now before the boss catches me :)

Later.

Juan

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2006, 11:57:57 am »
Hi Juan,

You're from Cardiff, Wales? I'm from Cardiff, California! Our full name is Cardiff by the Sea; same with your town, right?

I've visited Wales, briefly, and loved it. Stayed in Llandudno, where Alice Liddell (immortalized by Lewis Carroll as Alice in Wonderland) used to summer with her family. Enjoyed roaming Conwy Castle, rode the little train up Snowdonia in Llanberis, Port Meirion, and that town with the longest name in the world, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch. (For non Welsh speakers, like myself, the name translates as  "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave.")

Do you speak Welsh?

Anyhow, welcome to BetterMost.

ELJ
Jack Nasty loves you!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: Wanted to Introduce Myself
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2006, 07:21:11 pm »
This is me (2 weeks ago). If you want to see the Gioddamned Bitch of a T-shirt, go the Chez Trenblay under "Julie's  shirt, finally..."
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2006, 07:24:13 pm »
This is me (two weeks ago). If you want to see the Goddamned Bitch of a T-shirt, go to Chez Tramblay, "Julie's shirt, finally..." I'm now 2 days short of 71 (my how time...you know.), am still a docent and archirtecture guide at the Asian Art Museum of San Francisco.  Itr's still a pleasure to be here!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 01:53:57 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2006, 04:23:42 am »
Hi all,

this is my thrird attempt to introduce myself. I didn't like the first one, so I deleted it. And I unintentionally deleted the second one a a few seconds ago. Don't know how this happened  ???

Let's go:
another IMDB-refugee here. I'm a 38year old female from Germany. Four viewings of BBM and counting. Every time I try to look out for some other tiny details, which make this movie so extraoridinary. But often I fail. Especially during the last half hour I just lose it.

Strange thing is, I notice them unknowingly. For example the wind-symbolism. I couldn't have named it, but when I read about it for the first time on IMDB-board, I was just like 'Hell, I knew this, that guy is right'
What attracts me to this movie is that you dicover something new, new perspectives, new details with every repeated viewing. Before BBM my favorite movie was 'Memento'.

But there is more about BBM. I'm still trying to figure out, why this movie has such an impact on me. I never experienced something like this before from a movie.
There are some motives in it I knew too well in my past. But none of them is important enough in my nowadays life that it could explain the phenomenon. Still, I've met some ghosts of my past while thinking about BBM.

Unil now, I've only seen the German dubbed version and hardly can wait to see and hear it with the actors' original voices.

Looking forward to read you all,
Penthesilea

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Hi from Front-Ranger
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2006, 11:41:40 am »
I see my earlier intro never made it thru the firewall. So here I go again. Greetings, fellow brokies and Tremblayans from the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. I am a fifty-something female (slightly bent, like Mandy  ;)) hooked on BBM for almost 10 years!! Since October 13, 1997, when I received my weekly copy of the New Yorker in the mail. I have been reading this magazine for as long as I can remember, for the purpose of improving my writing (which is what I do for a living). Annie Proulx is one of my favorite authors, especially because of her brilliance in capturing rural settings and people (I love all things western) and I had just finished her novel "Postcards" so I tore into the short story "Brokeback Mountain" as soon as I saw it. The story made such an impact on me that I have kept it in a drawer by my bed ever since then! So, when I found out that a movie was being made, I was actually disappointed, because I didn't see how a movie could ever do justice to the story. And I thought such a movie would be panned and ridiculed by critics, and ignored by audiences. I am so glad that I was wrong! Of course, I didn't know that Lee, McMurtry, and Ossana were involved.

In 2002 I was introduced to the films of Ang Lee by a fellow employee at the engineering firm where I work. Although an engineer (with all that entails) he is Chinese-American from Brooklyn and so is a very enlightened person who has mentored me and encouraged me to have a life outside of just working and serving my family. But I didn't realize that Lee was at the helm of the movie until after the Denver International Film Festival last fall. Even then, I didn't go see the movie. Subconsciously I must have known that it was going to take over my life. Finally, in mid-January, my daughter and I had dinner at the Dushabe Teahouse in Boulder, Colorado, and then saw BBM. And I've been hooked again ever since.

BBM has led to a renaissance in my life. I've emerged from a robot-like state and have suddenly become intensely interested in the people around me, my fellow Tremblayans, and all the people I have lost touch with while raising children and punching a time clock. The movie and subsequent communion with all of you has also helped me get through a difficult time in my life. Altho I love my job, I am waiting for a new assignment to begin and am just killing time until then; I have a very difficult home life feeling estranged from my family; and most of all, I am appalled and disgusted by, shall we say, current events, most importantly the War in Iraq and the shameful behavior of the U.S. in the brotherhood of nations. BBM has been my escape, my refuge, and my magical place. Thanks for reading this and for being here!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 01:12:03 pm by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2006, 08:27:47 pm »
Welcome Arad! Take your time, we are all friends here. If there's something that confuses you feel free to send a personal message and I'm sure you will feel comfortable here very soon.
"chewing gum and duct tape"