Author Topic: <-- Introduce Yourself -->  (Read 858567 times)

moremojo

Re: <-- Introduce Yourself -->
« Reply #410 on: September 27, 2006, 04:38:24 pm »
Don't be shy about joining in, whether in an existing thread on in a new one. New people are the life of any internet community. You don't have to agree, you don't have to say something new, you don't have to know people already. We won't bite. :)
What Mel said.

Additionally, we were all newbies at one point or another. I was a relative latecomer to Brokeback fever, seeing the movie for the first time on February 18th, and, here on BetterMost, I know of at least one IMDb refugee who had joined and left before I had even signed up (on April 5th).

Dafna

« Reply #411 on: September 27, 2006, 05:21:56 pm »
Thanks so much. This is a very welcoming forum.  :)

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #412 on: September 27, 2006, 05:37:17 pm »
We're all complete pussy cats... tickle our underbellies and we purr like mad. Come join the fun!
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Frank H

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #413 on: September 28, 2006, 09:52:32 am »
Hi Scott, "latjoreme", and "Samrim",

Many thanks for your welcome.

Frank and Scott, I feel the same way about "Wuthering Heights." I first read it in junior high, I think, and have read it probably 15 times since. It's my favorite book. I had a passage read at my wedding. Scott, I remember that earlier thread or post you referred to.

If either of you is interested, I would invite/advise/urge you to start a thread about it. I think there are some interesting similarities between the two stories, so I'm not surprised that they both appeal to some of the same people.

:)

I intend to do this when I have time - something along the lines that the relationships of Heathcliff/Cathy and Ennis/Jack seem to speak of a dimension beyond time, while the stories themselves are firmly set in time, and with a complex time-structure.

Two other novels I've found particularly moving (although not as much as BBM or Wuthering Heights):

Dusty Answer by Rosamund Lehmann

The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder

Very different from each other, but both published in 1927.

The Lehmann novel is particularly notable because it is clear that the sexual orientation of several of the main characters, both male and female, is ambiguous. She wrote at least one other novel where this is more explicit. And all this was in the '20s and '30s.

Note to Samrim. All of us are of course sinners. Which makes the self-righteous fulminations of sections of the Christian religious right that much more objectionable.

Frank

Offline RebelWithASmile

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love was the word that left my lips
« Reply #414 on: October 07, 2006, 03:21:53 pm »
OKay, i'm new here, and i would like to explain myself.....brace yourselves, as i am a little too honest for most people's taste

My name is Phoenix, I am 16 years old, and i'm a gay teenager, secretly/madly inlove with a best friend.
I love to write (i'm writing a FF now, and it will be great!)
I love music, my favorite artists are
Evanescence
U2
Coldplay
Snow Patrol
Alice Cooper
Sarah McLachlan
Natalie Merchant

Before coming here, i was a very active member at one of Bettermost's rival BBM sites, EnnisJack.com.
I was banned from there, because i went on a arguing spree with Human Interests/Two Crow's Joy's author MadLori (Who doesn't know her?) i guess i was too aggressive and i made people feel 'uncomfortable' not hard, when everyone there are exactly the same-calm/quiet/easily broken. All the mods here can watch me close if they want to, but i don't plan on getting into arguments.

I'm a very sad individual that DOES go through some odd mood swings (for example, if i don't get to talk to my crush during the morning of school, i'm crestfallen till lunch) Its very hard to be gay.

I'm usually very calm and i get along with most people, but i do get over excited. Not 'spam' excited, but you will see many exclamation points in my posts...lol

I'm currently in love with James Dean (Man in my avatar) i love him, but yesterday i accidenly found a picture of his dead body, and it unsettled me completely....

anyways, i'm here because i can't go on too long without talking about my favorite movie of all time, Brokeback Mountain.

I hope i don't get into too much trouble, because after this, only DaveCullen.com remains!
"He was very afraid of being hurt. He was afraid of opening up in case it was turned around and used against him."

Heaven holds a sense of wonder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0VVoScBd4k

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #415 on: October 07, 2006, 05:08:27 pm »
My name is Phoenix, I am 16 years old, and i'm a gay teenager, secretly/madly inlove with a best friend.

Hi Phoenix . . .

I get the impression, though you didn't say so, that your best friend is straight and unavailable? If so, please make an effort to get as much positive energy in your life as possible. We can't choose who we fall in love with, but we can try to ease the heartache and direct our attention elsewhere . . . I hope you are able to meet and be with, physically, other young gay people. A bird in hand, etc.?

It's sad-making to think you might find yourself like some of us here, looking back forty years with regret for the Jack/Ennis situations we were in. . . .

Best wishes . . . Paul/EKEBY
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline RebelWithASmile

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #416 on: October 07, 2006, 06:40:43 pm »
Hi Phoenix . . .

I get the impression, though you didn't say so, that your best friend is straight and unavailable? If so, please make an effort to get as much positive energy in your life as possible. We can't choose who we fall in love with, but we can try to ease the heartache and direct our attention elsewhere . . . I hope you are able to meet and be with, physically, other young gay people. A bird in hand, etc.?

It's sad-making to think you might find yourself like some of us here, looking back forty years with regret for the Jack/Ennis situations we were in. . . .

Best wishes . . . Paul/EKEBY

thanks. I needed some encouragement
"He was very afraid of being hurt. He was afraid of opening up in case it was turned around and used against him."

Offline Samrim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #417 on: October 07, 2006, 07:09:49 pm »
Hello phoenix (and Paul)

Many years ago I fell in love with a straight guy, who was kind, more intelligent than me ( I love brainy men); he was 22 years old, very attractive in a Heathcliffe way, he played rugby, here in England, and was all I felt I needed in life. He made it clear, no! he TOLD me that rather than be touched by a queer, he'd take a gun and shoot himself.

It took me ten years and more to get over that putdown, the pain and shame was terrible. I still love him though, for afterward he was as kind as he could be,  until he moved away and out of my life. Even now though, thirty years later I hope I'll meet Robert again someday and that I'll see that smile of his. At the time, all that I could give him that he wanted, was MY absence!

If, in your heart you know your friend is straight, do you really want to wallow in all that grief, do you want to give him pain, him who you love, or would it be fairer, and easier,for both of you to 'move on'. You are a nice young guy I guess, and there are lots of other young guys out there looking for someone like you. Didn't you aught to give them a chance?

My very best Wishes phoenix, and Good Luck

Oh, and I absolutely love Brokeback Mountain too, I adore Ennis and Jack, and think about them every day, even though it's nine months since the film came out here in the UK.
Sam
Sam

Offline RebelWithASmile

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #418 on: October 07, 2006, 09:22:08 pm »
Thanks Samrim. My friend, lets call him Bill, because that's his name.  ;)

Well, Bill is very excepting, and not completely homophobic. I mean, if he is called gay he will do the traditional 'white man's burden, gotta kick some arse' gig. But i think he might be gay, secretly. He is much too sensitive for this world. He is very quiet, and loner-like, a outsider. I like that, and most of the time i'm like that too. I would hate to stereotype him, but he is much more compassionate than the regular straight guy. He is very loving in a friend-way. I feel like i could tell him anything BUT that i'm gay and i love him, and i want to hold him. I hate being depraved of him, it hurts everyday. I'm so glaad (haha, get it?) that he is excepting, and empathetic, and quiet, and i'm glad most of all, because he likes me. Likes me more than most.

And i hate it when he pains. Some friends of ours were doing the 'oh yer so gay' crap, calling Bill a '<0<ksu<ker' I tried to support him, but my limited plea fell on deaf ears. Bill was literally being attacked at all sides, and i just felt bad....

sorry for rambling, as i usually do when i talk about Bill.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 09:57:44 pm by RebelWithSadness »

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #419 on: October 08, 2006, 02:25:21 pm »
Welcome Frank H, Dahpna, RebelWithSadness, and TheWings!!!  And all the rest of youse!   Glad you're here.    May you be happy and healthy!!     :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don