Author Topic: Collectibles!  (Read 164173 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Collectibles!
« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2020, 02:46:50 pm »
Wendy and Marvin?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2020, 05:24:50 pm »
Wendy and Marvin?  ???

Allow me to explain.

The Super Friends debuted in 1973, and the line-up looked like this.

It was the 5 main heroes, and their sidekicks, the "Jr. Super Friends", Wendy, Marvin, and their pet Wonder Dog.   They had no powers, and were just basically hanging out with the Super Friends, with no explanation.  They weren't even given last names.   Their presence was explained like this:

Their function on the show was to stand around, ask questions, get captured (usually after finding the criminal's hideout by mistake), get rescued by main Super Friends, and then help explain the 'moral' of the episode.

Comic book readers tend to look for more depth in their characters, so the characters were given origins and last names, and the story of being trained to be crime fighters.  The show was cancelled and aired in reruns numerous times, and in 1976 became a surprise hit at that point.  1977 was going to bring a new season, but writers of the cartoon and comic complained about trying to write stories that featured these non-powered characters, so in 1977, the show was renewed as "The All New Super Friends", with Wendy and Marvin gone with no explanation, replaced by the shape-shifting Wonder Twins.

In the comic book, a story was done where Wendy & Marvin graduated to crime-fighter status, but opted to go to college before starting careers in crime fighting.

Here is the original opening for the cartoon from 1973.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2020, 06:19:29 pm »
I guess it really is true, if something is out there, somebody will collect it.

I was on eBay last evening, and I decided to check out the "store" of a seller from whom I had bought some things in the past. Turns out that among the things this guy has for sale are issues of the old International Male and Undergear clothing catalogs.  :laugh: Based on the username, I assume the seller is a guy. Undergear was a sort of spin-off of International Male.

The same seller had an issue of a magazine I'd never heard of, Faces International, from summer 1983. The cover boy was John Schneider, of Dukes of Hazzard fame (a show I never watched, BTW). In 1983, OMG he was hot!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2020, 07:53:56 pm »

I'll take mature John Schneider over that fluffy hair Bo Duke any day!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 08:07:48 am by southendmd »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2020, 08:39:48 am »
I'll take mature John Schneider over that fluffy hair Bo Duke any day!

In 1983 he still had the fluffy hair. He also had a mustache. Made him look a little more mature.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2020, 09:02:27 am »
In 1983 he still had the fluffy hair. He also had a mustache. Made him look a little more mature.

Like this?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2020, 11:38:27 am »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2020, 04:35:13 pm »
It's Christmas in July with the release of some 2020 ornaments from Hallmark.

I got two today -  Aquaman on his seahorse, Storm, and Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2020, 10:25:48 am »
They are so cute! They have a retro look about them. Too cute to put away until Christmas. Do you have a display case, Chuck?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #169 on: July 13, 2020, 10:29:04 pm »
Hello Lee!

No, I don't have a case, I only put ornaments out on my tree at Christmas time.

As for the retro look, that version of Aquaman first appeared in 1941, and pretty much looked that way until the late 80s or so.

The Wonder Woman ornament is based on a famous pose that Lynda Carter struck for the TV show.