Author Topic: Fun Brokeback questionnaires  (Read 12900 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Fun Brokeback questionnaires
« on: July 06, 2006, 06:03:32 am »
MODERATOR'S NOTE: Hey everbody, this topic was split off a previous thread (which is why I'm writing an introductory note in Mikaela's post) To fill out the questionnaire:

1) Hit "quote" in the previous post.

2) Go to your new message and REMOVE the "quote" and "/quote" coding around it so it can be copied again easily by the next person, with the color coding intact.

3) Answer questions in a new color (or in a color that hasn't been used by the people immediately above you).

4) Your post, with your responses, will be deleted eventually, as others copy yours and add their own. So if you undergo a major change of opinion and want to change your answers, repeat steps 1 and 2 and make the required changes in your answers (for brevity's sake, try not to do this just for the sake of minor changes of wording).

Have fun! If so inspired, feel free to start a new questionnaire of your own.

Latjoreme/Katherine

Regarding his homosexuality, would Ennis:

-- Describe himself that way to others?

Latjoreme -- Never.
         Ruthlessly – Agreed, never.
         Jane  -  no.
         Diane – no human way!
         Penth -- No way
        Mikaela – No, never ever. Not unless we're talking bizarro-world Ennis.

-- Use the word "queer" or "homosexual" to describe himself to himself?

Latjoreme -- Early on in the movie, no. By the end, probably yes.
          Ruthlessly – Early, agreed.  End, slightly, possibly, maybe... but still only with fear and self-loathing.
          Jane  -  Early on, not on your f’n life!  By the end, still no.
          Diane -  No, no, no! I don’t think he’d even consider admitting to himself he would fit into that category.
          Penth -- Early on: no. Later: probably yes, and not only after Jack's death, but even before ("You ever get the feeleng...")
          Mikaela -- Yes, eventually he would use the term "queer" to himself.

-- Reluctantly in his heart of hearts consider the possibility that those words might apply to him?

Latjoreme -- Yes, probably, the whole time.
          Ruthlessly – Agreed.
          Jane  -  yes he would consider that those words might apply to him.
          Diane – He might consider the possibility, but I don’t think he would allow himself to acknowledge that he might be gay.
         Penth -- Yes, from very early on.
        Mikaela – Yes, from he was nine years old.

-- Notice he's attracted to men?
          Latjoreme -- Yes, since he was a kid, though he has learned to hide or repress it.
          Ruthlessly – Agreed.
          Jane  -  yes.
          Diane – Yes … again, I am not sure if he would admit, even to himself that he is attracted to men.
          Penth -- Yes
         Mikaela -- Yes, most certainly. One of the reasons he's so painfully shy

-- Wish he weren't?

Latjoreme -- Sure.
          Jane  -  yes.
          Ruthlessly – Agreed.
          Penth -- yes
           Mikaela -- Yes, or the story and film would not have been the same

-- Convince himself almost 100% completely that he isn’t?

Ruthlessly – Absolutely
          Diane – ABOSULETLY!! No way would he even be comfortable with the fact that he was gay.
          Latjoreme -- No, I'd say more like 65%.
          Penth -- No.
          Mikaela -- Difficult one. Yes, at certain moments in his life, especially in his younger years, I think he actually managed this, to his great relief…. But over the perspective of longer time periods, the percentage was not *anywhere* near 100%.

-- Recognize that his relationship with Jack constitutes a gay relationship?

Latjoreme -- Yes, sort of.
          Jane  -  no?   yes?   :-\
          Ruthlessly – No.  No recognition – which signifies to me that it dawns on him, that he becomes aware of it.  No.
         Penth -- Difficult. Recognizes that others would call it a gay relationship, yes
     Mikaela –  I agree with Penth. He recognizes that others would call it a gay relationship. For his own conflicted self, he’d think of it as special and not easily boil it down to that simple term.

-- Recognize that his relationship with Jack constitutes a “thing” that he cannot understand or name with its correct, generally-accepted name?
          Ruthlessly – Yes, 100%
          Diane – I agree with Ruthless 100% on both of these points. No way can he consider that this is a gay relationship … it is an anomaly.
          Latjoreme: No, I think deep down he knows what the correct name is, but he would never say it out loud and tries not to say it to himself.
          Penth -- this is the converse of the question above (kind of). Therefore No, because he knows how it would be called by all the world and his brother.
     Mikaela – yes and no? He will not let himself name it by it’s generally accepted name, but he does know what that name is.

-- Believe it's a huge exception to the rule, that he's not "really" gay and otherwise would be attracted only to women?

Latjoreme -- No. He tries his best to believe that, but secretly knows it's not true.
          Ruthlessly – I’m not sure if I’ve broken down the question into its intended subparts correctly.  Correct me if I’m wrong.  “Believe it’s a huge exception to the rule…” – No.  The only rules to homosexuality that he believes are that it’s wrong and equals (or deserves) death.  “Believe … that he’s not “really” gay …” – Absolutely.  He does not believe himself to be gay.  “Believe … and otherwise would be attracted only to women” – The word “otherwise” would require him to think of himself as gay, which he does not.  He may not be attracted to women sexually, but he believes that he’s supposed to be. 
          Jane  -  hunh??
          Diane – In Ennis’ mind – yes. I think he can not comprehend (or should I say consciously understand) why he loves Jack. IMO, Ennis blames Jack for being the way he is. If it wouldn’t be for that, Ennis would believe that he would be living a “normal” life.
          Penth -- Probably no.
       Mikaela -- No. This is what he'd wish for, but deep down he knows he's attracted to other men.

-- Ever have been involved with another man if not for Jack?

Latjoreme -- Probably not.
          Ruthlessly – Agreed.  Unless someone came along and led him to it in the same way Jack did – build a friendship, build an intimacy, give Ennis his moment to let it all come bursting out, etc.
          Jane  -  maybe, if he was attracted to and picked up in the right way.
          Diane – I find it highly improbable.
          Penth -- Yes, if the other man would be Jack-like: leading him. I'm with Ruthlessly on this question
        Mikaela -- No, or at least chances are very, very slim. It would require alignment of special circumstances akin to what he and Jack had, including someone to lead him into it – and time enough alone to get comfortable.

-- Blame Jack for him (Ennis) being gay?
          Latjoreme -- Not in his sexuality. See above -- he knows he already was. Not in his behavior, either; he implies this in the lakeside scene, but he's upset.
          Ruthlessly – I dunno.  Even if Ennis recognized early on that he is attracted to men, it took Jack to bring Ennis to the point of acting on it.  So, because Ennis does not believe himself to be gay, he very well could blame Jack for bringing Ennis to the point of acting on Ennis’ attraction to other fellas.
          Jane  -  no.
          Diane – as I said above, yes.
          Penth -- No
         Mikaela -- No.

-- Blame Jack for keeping him nothin and nowhere?
          Latjoreme -- Not really. Again, he's lashing out in anger. He does not actually resent Jack for the way his life has gone.
          Ruthlessly – Half and half.  Ennis knows that he’s nothin’ and nowhere because he has put his “get somewhere” and “be somebody” on the back burner so that he could be available for Jack.  Ennis knows that’s what he’s done.  But, he probably doesn’t accept responsibility for his actions; thus, he blames Jack for it.  For the simple fact that Jack was there, Ennis just couldn’t help himself.
          Jane  -  no, not Jack, but his relationship with Jack?  Yes.
          Diane – as I have stated before, yes. I think he sees the relationship as something that has somewhat derailed his life.  If not for Jack, he would probably still be married to Alma and living a blissful lie of a life.
           Penth -- Partly yes. "...because he has put his “get somewhere” and “be somebody” on the back burner so that he could be available for Jack." But this alludes on the extern circumstances (poverty for example). But not in the way that Ennis would earnestly believe Jack had ruined his life. 
        Mikaela -- No. It's difficult to generalize. Now and then Ennis may have thought along those lines in his continuous despair over his own siuation, and once he lashes out at Jack in fear of Jack leaving him, but overall I think he felt himself to be someone and to be somewhere only when together with Jack

-- Blame his feelings for Jack for keeping him from leading a normal life?

Latjoreme -- Yes.
          Ruthlessly – Agreed.  He knew he had feelings for Jack, and Ennis called those feelings a “thing,” and he knew that those feelings, that “thing” kept Ennis from leading a normal life – what Ennis would perceive as normal.
          Jane  -  yes
          Diane – same as what I just said above ... .i.e. Yes!
          Penth -- yes
          Mikaela -- Yes

-- Wish he had never gotten involved with Jack in the first place?
          Latjoreme -- No way.
      Ruthlessly – I don’t agree.  If Ennis is like 99% of other people who fall in love (as some people have said    ;)   ), then there are certainly times when he has wished he’d never gotten involved with Jack.  Wished it as an overall defining characteristic of himself?  No.  But gone through long periods of trying to forget, get over, avoid, regret… then, yes.
          Jane  -  no f'n way!
          Diane – No way …. He was his one-in-a-lifetime love. Jack was the one person who could understand him.
          Penth -- No way
          Mikaela -- No. Not on your life. No. 

Regarding love, does Ennis

-- Use that word when talking to Jack?
          Latjoreme -- No, obviously.
          Ruthlessly – Agreed.
          Jane  -  no.
          Diane – no way … that’s completely out of his character
          Penth -- No
     Mikaela -- No, certainly not. More's the pity.  :'( 

-- Use that word when talking to himself?
          Latjoreme -- No.
          Ruthlessly – Agreed.  But he did try to get personalized vanity plates on his truck that say “E (heart) J.”  Unfortunately, the Wyoming DMV doesn’t allow a heart character on their plates.   :laugh:
          Jane  -  no.
          Diane – No.
          Penth -- Hm, no. But....
            Mikaela -- No, not until the very end. He's learned to use the word by then - he would have used it to himself, not only to his daughter. 

-- Notice that he exhibits the feelings and longings and behavior that the rest of us would associate with the word "love"?
          Latjoreme -- Yes.
          Ruthlessly – “Notice?”  Yes, occasionally, but quickly dismisses it as “Can’t be… it’s a “thing.””
          Jane  -  no.  Ennis is all about submersing his feelings.  I don't think he even lets them breathe.
          Diane – Possibly. He is so cut off from his feelings and others’ perceptions, I don’t know that he would be capable of
          picking up on something like that.

Penth -- A very sure Yes
          Mikaela -- Yes, he is aware of the feelings and longings and behaviour 

-- Recognize only after the pie scene that all those acts and feelings add up to quote-unquote love?
          Latjoreme -- Hmm ... maybe. (I'm a little on the fence about this, and open -- believe it or not -- to persuasion.)
          Ruthlessly – Getting’ there… plus the other interactions that follow.  Pie’ll do it to ya every time!  They shoulda bin eatin’ pie up on ol’ Brokeback ‘steada beans.
          Jane  -  yes, that is when he starts to realize it, but the pie scene was not the illuminating moment.  He had started to realize it after the Lake Scene confrontation.  That is why he dropped Cassie..
          Diane – No … I think he realized that he loved Jack after their confrontation. The pie scene illustrates how cut off and onely Ennis has become and it is used as a way to close his relationship with Cassie.
         Penth -- I'm with Diane and Jane here: after the lake scene
         Mikaela -- No. I think he knows earlier. Is the use of that specific word the point of this question? Then not much earlier. Ennis doesn't use the word "love" till very late. 

-- Not recognize it until his conversation with Alma Jr.?
          Latjoreme -- No, I think he recognizes in the closet at the very latest.
          Ruthlessly – Fully recognizes it in the closet at the very earliest AND at the very latest.  Was there pie in that there closet?
          Jane  -  No, he starts to recognize it after his breakdown and Jack’s speech.
          Diane – No … same as what I have said above.
          Penth -- No, see above. He took a step forward: he is able to talk about it. Not about his love for Jack, but able to admit how important it is.
         Mikaela -- No. 

-- Recognize only in the end that, given that he and Jack were in love, that he should have made honoring that love his first priority, rather than being afraid to do so?
          Latjoreme -- Absolutely.
          Ruthlessly – Recognize … that he should have … rather than…?  No.  Change it to “After the closet scene, especially during his talk with Jr., and given that Ennis now understands that he and Jack were in love, did Ennis wish that he would have been able to have overcome his fears and made his love for Jack his first priority while, after Jack’s death, still not actually dealing with overcoming his fears because there is no longer a reason to with regard to his relationship with Jack?”  Then, yes.  There ain’t that much pie in alla Riverton.
          Jane  -  Yes.
          Diane – Yes, absolutely. I think that is why he has such bitter longing … knowing what could have been and knowing that, since Jack is gone, it will never happen.
         Penth -- Yes, yes and yes. This makes it so poignant. What might have been. And he knows it. Recognizes after Jack's death. Latest after he found the shirts, but I believe even before the shirts.
         Mikaela – I realize I have no easy answer for this one. I have to think about it. I’m not certain Ennis ever reaches a point where he truly believes he could have managed to “honour the love” if that meant actually living Jack’s “sweet life “ together. The shirts still in the closet at the end remain a very compelling image – but one that can be interpreted more than one way. (See answer to the question 2 points further down). I think if Ennis recognizes one thing, it’s that he should have made sure of showing and telling Jack straight out how he felt about him - he should have made absolutely sure that Jack did not have to die in any sort of doubt about that.

-- Does Ennis think homosexuals deserve death?
           Latjoreme: No. He might think his dad was right that homosexuality is shameful and wrong. But I don't think he believes that if his dad did the job he was right in that case.
          Ruthlessly -- I dunno, again.  He did tell Jack that if he came to know certain things, he'd kill him.  And I don’t believe for a minute he's talking about jealousy here.  His father taught him well.
           Diane – I agree completely with your point of view, Katherine.
           Penth -- No way. Agree with Diane and Katherine.
           Mikaela -- No. He thinks homosexuality is shameful and wrong. His upbringing taught him he should speak as if he thinks they deserve death. 

-- After Jack dies, will Ennis' homophobia and fears and shame remain intact, now that there's no longer any reason to overcome them?
            Latjoreme: Partly. He has learned a lesson, suggested by his decision to attend the wedding and his swearing to Jack. On the other hand, I don't see him so enlightened that he'd go on to have other relationships with men (though he wouldn't anyway, because he'd still be grieving Jack).
          Ruthlessly -- I think so.  Wouldn't Alma, Sr. be the only one who would confront him?  Without his relationship going on with Jack, and without Alma to confront him, I don’t think he'd make any forward steps.  In fact, this may shut him down completely as far as intimate, relationship love goes.
           Diane – Yes … If anything, I see him becoming more bitter and homophobic. In his eyes, Jack was murdered for being gay.
          Jane  -  Here is a quote I transcribed from a intro to the song "The Maker Makes"  written by Rufus Wainwright for the movie Brokeback Mountain.  The song is the very last song played during the film, as the credits are just winding down.  Hell most of the people will have left the cinema by the time this song will have started to play! 

Rufus Wainwright:
"It's called The Maker Makes 'cause it's, it's just about, it's
it's sorta a, a the flip side of someone who, who instead of y'now discovering
their homosexuality, y'know moves to NY, and y'now gets y'know a haircut,
um, they decide to sort of stay, where they are and really forsake their uhm,
 their sexuality.
"

Penth -- I think he just doesn't care anymore. So my anwser would be both: yes and no. I think he is not ashamed anymore (to himself) that he loved Jack and about their relationship. But admitting it to another person - no. And for other possible relationships: I think there are no other possible relationships, so there's no need for any progress in overcoming his fears, because his fears are not important anymore.
               Mikaela -- Yes and  No. He has changed, in that he has reached a level of inner peace and acceptance about what he had with Jack, that part of the conflict in him is gone. But he has no reason to "come out" to the rest of the world any more. Quite the opposite, perhaps: Keeping silent on the subject gives him insurance that nothing or noone will have the opportunity to sullly or disparage his memories of what he had with Jack. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 01:45:32 am by latjoreme »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Fun Brokeback questionnaires
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 01:06:21 pm »
HEY EVERYBODY

I split this topic from the end of the "Shut up about Ennis" thread, where these questionnaires started, because they were starting to take on a life of their own.

To participate, hit "quote" in the previous post, then REMOVE the "quote" and "/quote" coding around it so it can be copied again easily with the colors intact. Answer questions, preferably in a new color. Or start a new questionnaire of your own.

It's fun!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 04:00:23 pm »
Can we add a couple more questions to this survey? As I watched the film again last night, I jotted down a few things ....

Regarding the harmonica:
Does Jack play "He was a friend of mine?"
          Diane - IMO, there is no melodic line. I can't imagine that this is the case.
          Jane  -  no idea.
          Ruthlessly – Yes.  It can be hard to catch in watching the film because of other noises and dialogue that separate the various parts of his playing.  But, all of Jack’s harmonica playing is on the Academy voters CD (there’s a link to it somewhere on these boards, but I cannot remember where I found it).  On this CD, you hear all of Jack’s playing without the extra noises and without the extra dialogue.  And, it’s all strung together in order.  It’s crystal clear.  The lyrics for the notes he plays are: (during the “tent don’t look right” scene) “He….. was a friend of mine…. He…. (stop) He… (stop) Was a friend of mine… (stop) Just kept on mov…” and (during the ride back from untangling the sheep) “He was a friend of mine… Every time I hear his name… I just…” (then he just blows in and out for a couple of seconds as if trying to find his tune).  Jack’s playing is out of tune, but it’s unmistakable on the voters CD.
                Penth -- I don't know. But it's hard to believe; I think no.

Is there any symbolism in Jack playing the harmonica twice and Ennis saying, “I wish that harmonica would break in two"?
          Diane – I say no. I bring this up because there was an argument that the harmonica symbolized “breaking Ennis and Jack in two” … Obviously, I don’t buy it.
          Jane  -  no.
          Ruthlessly - Yes there is.  It’s a foreshadowing of Jack being separated in two when half of his ashes went to Texas and half to Wyoming.  It’s not about the two of them breaking in two.  Every time either Ennis or Jack hums or sings or Jack plays his harmonica, it foreshadows Jack’s death.  Singing, humming, and harmonica playing are all forms of wind.  Jack is symbolized by the wind.  Ennis hums “The Cowboy’s Lament” (aka “The Streets of Laredo”) about a dead cowboy as he rides to meet the bear, Jack plays “He was a Friend of Mine” on his harmonica at the “tent don’t look” right, Jack sings “Water-Walking Jesus” (“I know that I shall meet you on that final day… WWJ, take me away”), Jack plays “He was a Friend of Mine” on his harmonica after the “untangle sheep” scene, Ennis is glad Jack forgot his harmonica at the river reunion scene (because it would foreshadow Jack’s death, and then Ennis foreshadows Jack’s death himself when he tells the Earl death story), Ennis will go to the church social with the girls if he doesn’t have to sing (he doesn’t want to foreshadow Jack’s death), Ennis hums a tune taught to him by his mother at the dozy embrace – Jack dies soon afterward.
                   Penth -- hmm, undecided. But I can't follow ruthlessly with his argumentation as a whole. Perhaps partly.

Regarding Randall:           
Is Jack checking out Randall or is Randall checking out Jack?
          Diane – I think it is both. However, I think Randall is more overt than  Jack.
          Jane  -  Randall checking out Jack.
          Ruthlessly – I think Randall checks out Jack overtly, Jack knows it and is trying to avoid it.
          Penth -- Randall checking out Jack. Jack notices.

When Randall mentions the cabin … what is Jack thinking?
          Diane – IMO, he is thinking about Ennis … especially when he looks straight ahead …. as if  he is longing to be with the man he loves. However, he also has needs that Ennis is not fulfilling … so I think he’s beginning to consider having an affair.
          Jane  -  His exacts words / thoughts are "Why couldn't this be Ennis, suggesting that?"
          Ruthlessly – He’s thinking everything you both said and a lot more.
          Penth -- Thinking about Ennis and regretting that it is not Ennis who makes this suggestion. And starting to consider about it.

Ennis’ vision of Jack being murdered:
Does Ennis’ finding out that Jack had been seeing another man reinforce his belief that Jack was murdered?
          Diane – Yes. That feeds into his homophobia. In Ennis' mind, people found out that Jack was having sex with a man and was killed because of it.
          Jane  -  It re-inforces his fear, IMO he does not have the belief 100%, he has the fear.
          Ruthlessly – Yes.  As long as we keep it all in Ennis’ mind.
           Penth -- Yes. But Ennis's fears were fuled when he finds out about Jack seeing other men, which is at the lake scene, latest. Not in the Twist home. If you mean especially when he learns about Randalll ("some other fella") at the Twist home, then no for the movie but a  yes for the book.

Is there a significance that Ennis envisions a man stomping on Jack’s groin?
          Diane – Absolutely, yes. Mirrors the image he saw with Earl. This signifies the most overt thing … the sexual organ (I am trying to be delicate here … difficult to do) … having sex with a man is societal suicide.
          Jane  -  I dunno, never gave it much thought.
          Ruthlessly – I agree with Diane.
          Penth -- Never saw this in the movie. Too many tears.

Even though the reality of Jack’s death is ambiguous, IYO, was Jack murdered or did he die in an accident?
          Diane – Hate to say this, but I think he was murdered.
          Jane  -  Well I prefer to believe that he died in an accident, but I realize that I could be wrong as the overwhelming consensus (four-to-one that it was gay bashing) is that he was murdered.
          Ruthlessly – Accident.  All of the direct evidence points straight to it.  All of the evidence for murder hinges on one point only – something that Ennis conjured up in his mind due to his fears.
         Penth -- Phew. Tough one. I tend to accident, most times. But only "tend to".  We're all in the same situation like Ennis: never knowing for sure. I just can't make my mind up for a definite (definite for myself)  answer. First I was in the "murder-camp", then changed to the "accident-camp", now it changes back and forth.

When Ennis finds out (when visiting Jack's parents) that Jack was seeing another man, his face turned pale. IYO, was Ennis feeling betrayed? Was he thinking, "OMG! Jack was murdered"?
          Diane - I think Ennis felt betrayed at the lake scene, but not so much here. It was the knowledge that Jack was seeing a man at the same time he died and the belief that Jack was, indeed, murdered.
          Jane  -  I tried to read his expressions, but I could not.  But I can still answer this question, I guess.  I think when he heard about the other guy, he felt betrayed, because Jack was steppin' out.
          Ruthlessly – Betrayed, no.  Jack murdered, no.  He was thinking “I really blew it.  I could have had that with Jack, but I wouldn’t give it to him.  So he tried to fulfill his dream with someone else.”  With this kind of emotional self-beating, betrayal and murder are far from his mind.  He’s only concentrating on the love that was between them.
          Penth -- Betrayed? Don't know.  Hurt? yes

Let’s keep adding to these questions! This is too much fun!   :)

Thanks for adding all these great questions!  And I think it was totally appropriate for latjoreme to move these questions to their own thread to give them a life of their own.

Penth -- I like this questionnaire very much. And it was a good idea to move it to an own thread.

[/quote]

ruthlesslyunsentimental

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 04:57:46 pm »
Penth -- I have a couple of questions about your answers above.

Regarding the harmonica:
Does Jack play "He was a friend of mine?"
          Penth -- I don't know. But it's hard to believe; I think no.

Have you listened to the voters CD where it's all strung together without the extra noises and pauses?  If yes, then I'm surprised.  If no, then I think you'll be surprised.

Is there any symbolism in Jack playing the harmonica twice and Ennis saying, “I wish that harmonica would break in two"?
          Penth -- hmm, undecided. But I can't follow ruthlessly with his argumentation as a whole. Perhaps partly.

What parts yes and what parts no and why?

Thanks!  And have a BetterMost day!    :laugh:

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 08:11:07 pm »
Have you listened to the voters CD where it's all strung together without the extra noises and pauses?  If yes, then I'm surprised.  If no, then I think you'll be surprised.

You know I have the regular CD. But, you have mentioned you burned the voters' CD. Where in the world can I get a copy of this??? I love the regular CD, but there is a bunch of music that's not on there. Help me get a copy, please!!!  :-\
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

ruthlesslyunsentimental

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 08:40:58 pm »
You know I have the regular CD. But, you have mentioned you burned the voters' CD. Where in the world can I get a copy of this??? I love the regular CD, but there is a bunch of music that's not on there. Help me get a copy, please!!!  :-\

OK, ok.  Since I’ve brought it up a couple of times, I suppose it's my responsibility to find it...  :)

It's in a thread called "Music from Brokeback" on the Chez Tremblay board.  I put a msg in at the end of it just to bump it up to the top of the list.  (I hope that's o.k.)

There are two zipped file links.  Click them and download to your computer.  Then burn all to one CD.  There are a couple of songs missing such as the song when Jack meets Jimbo and "I Will Never Let You Go."  It has "Melissa" and the original "King of the Road."  All of the music is in the order it was in the film.  Plus, there's the final post office ("Deceased") music, plus the "In Jack's Closet" music.  Etc., etc.

Now, I didn't post it originally, but since I led you to it, if you download it, you have to let me know what you think.  I think it's great.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to put a link to a thread in a post.    ???

« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 09:13:40 pm by ruthlesslyunsentimental »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 10:44:36 pm »
So, I have a very serious question about this first, "regarding his homosexuality" questionnaire.  How have our own personal experiences impacted how we view Ennis's struggle? 

For those of you who are gay or bisexual, does your reading of Ennis's struggles with identity and emotional growth/change/stress, etc. have any relation to your own struggle coming out (either to yourself or others)?   My first girlfriend (who was very "out") used to complain, nonetheless, about how exhausting coming out is.  She said she came to realize eventually that you don't come out once and then it's done... you have to deal with it every day in every new situation.  And I agree completely.  It can be a yo-yo feeling of worry-stress-happiness-elation, but all of this can wear you down.  And, one's attitude towards the situation definitely evolves.  Exhaustion is one of the things I feel for Ennis at the end (among many other things of course), since he's gone through so much.  And, I think among many things, this film is about a massive evolution for Ennis. 

And for those of you who are straight... well, is there an equivalent situation in your life that impacts your view of Ennis's struggles (as related to this questionnaire)?

I'm sure this question would be more appropriate for Safe Haven.  But, I think this questionnaire begs for this issue to be raised.  Essentially, what I'm asking is, what criteria are we using to evaluate Ennis here?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 01:38:02 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 01:09:12 am »
And for those of you who are straight... well, is there an equivalent situation in your life that impacts your view of Ennis's struggles (as related to this questionnaire)?

No. There have been mini-parallels -- things I've been reluctant to acknowledge to myself or others and struggled over -- but nothing as huge and ongoing and central to my life and identity. It's hard to imagine many other issues that would come even close (though I have seen a few described by others here at BetterMost).

Which I'll admit is why I sometimes find myself facing limitations in these discussions because of my own lack of first-hand experience. For instance, I'll be arguing with somebody who is gay, and I'll say, "Well, how could Ennis possibly NOT acknowledge such and such to himself?" and the other person will refer to friends, or maybe themselves, having maintained that sort of utter denial. So maybe that's an area of ignorance for me that affects my understanding of the movie. I don't know.

Good questions, Amanda!

On another topic, reading over people's responses I wish I'd written some of the questions differently, because I can see that a few of them are slightly confusing or ambiguous. One that jumped out at me was

-- Blame his feelings for Jack for keeping him from leading a normal life?
         Latjoreme -- Yes.
         Ruthlessly – Agreed.  He knew he had feelings for Jack, and Ennis called those feelings a “thing,” and he knew that those feelings, that “thing” kept Ennis from leading a normal life – what Ennis would perceive as normal.
         Jane  -  yes
         Diane – same as what I just said above ... .i.e. Yes!
         Penth -- yes
         Mikaela -- Yes
         Barb - Yes.  But who among us hasn't done that, albeit not to the same extent in most cases?
         Amanda= What's a normal life?  I don't know how to answer this.

I should have put "normal life" in quotes -- I meant Ennis' concept of normal. (Originally it referred to a remark on the other thread, now probably six pages back.)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 02:03:12 am »
Thanks Katherine.

These questionnaires really are very, very interesting.

As I was working on that first questionnaire (the rest will have to wait until tomorrow) I found myself having a wacky-Brokie reaction and began thinking of Ennis more and more along the lines of a real person (a la Ang Lee thanking Ennis and Jack at the Oscars).  And, you'll love this Katherine because this is me wearing my defend-Ennis-hat right now... I feel like judging his ability to come out or judging how much he's able even to articulate coming out is really harsh.  I think he comes a long way within the context of the story/ world of the film.  I remember writing posts long ago about how proud Jack would be of Ennis at the end with the "I swear..." statement because he, of all people, would understand how scary, hard and new saying something like that would be for Ennis (even alone in his trailer).  **And now I've just managed to make myself cry over that idea.**
 ::) :'(

Anyway, I think one of the main tensions in the film is sensing something all along (knowing that they love each other) and the difficulty of actually articulating it (or acting on it... as in living together).  Which to me, is the essence of a coming out story/ dilemma.

Ennis's characteristic silence... or silence in general...  may be one of the biggest metaphors that I don't remember tackling fully and probably relates to this topic quite directly. 
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 02:45:43 am »
I feel like judging his ability to come out or judging how much he's able even to articulate coming out is really harsh.  I think he comes a long way within the context of the story/ world of the film.

I know. I hate it when people criticize him out of context. He did the best he could, considering his dad didn't leave him nothin but $24 in a coffee can and a lifetime's worth of fear and self-loathing.