Author Topic: Mexican Elections  (Read 2460 times)

Giancarlo

Mexican Elections
« on: July 06, 2006, 09:55:33 pm »
I'm a libertarian, don't get me wrong... I am completely opposed to Orbador... I think the PAN has only been good for Mexico, though there needs to be a lot of work done in Mexico. What do you think about the lack of recognization of the legitimate results by Calderon's opponent? Orbador would of caused job losses in Mexico, in my opinion. He would of took the country down the same way as Hugo Chavez.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Mexican Elections
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 05:38:19 pm »
I'm a libertarian, don't get me wrong... I am completely opposed to Orbador... I think the PAN has only been good for Mexico, though there needs to be a lot of work done in Mexico. What do you think about the lack of recognization of the legitimate results by Calderon's opponent? Orbador would of caused job losses in Mexico, in my opinion. He would of took the country down the same way as Hugo Chavez.

Giancarlo -

I have been watching these elections on our American news channels (Fox, MSNBC, CNN, etc) and I really don't understand what is going on down there. It sounds to me as if the problems in Mexico smack of what happened here in the U.S. 6 years ago.

But I really don't understand the background of the two candidates, and therefore I can't really give you a comment.

It's always a shame to see things like this happen, and it seems this sort of thing is happening over and over again in many countries throughout the world.  :(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Giancarlo

Re: Mexican Elections
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 06:39:10 pm »
Giancarlo -

I have been watching these elections on our American news channels (Fox, MSNBC, CNN, etc) and I really don't understand what is going on down there. It sounds to me as if the problems in Mexico smack of what happened here in the U.S. 6 years ago.

But I really don't understand the background of the two candidates, and therefore I can't really give you a comment.

It's always a shame to see things like this happen, and it seems this sort of thing is happening over and over again in many countries throughout the world.  :(

Actually not quite. The US election was much closer then this one. This was decided on 200,000+ votes. That's a small margin in an election of 40 million but big enough. I'm surprised the candidate who lost refuses to admit his defeat even after international election monitors OKAYed the results.

Basically the candidate who won, Calderon believes in free market economy and wants more ties with the US to encourage job growth back at home. He's center-right. The candidate who lost, Orbador, wanted to place more restrictions on the economy and supposedably redistribute income to the lower classes. I'm totally against such a policy because it is never shown to work. Such policies led to what was called the ISI, import substitution industrialization. This is basically closing your economy off and trying to build what you need (like cars). It is terribly inefficient and led to an entire decade of lost growth in Latin America.

More on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Import_substitution

I believe this is what Orbador was wanting for Mexico...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 06:44:18 pm by Giancarlo »