Author Topic: A Love Born From Steel - Ongoing Discussion  (Read 298842 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: A Love Born From Steel
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2006, 08:40:58 pm »
Chapter 6 is up and available for your reading enjoyment:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2853224/6/

As always, comments are welcome. Please consider posting a review at the fanfic site. I do appreciate you support!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
Re: Chapter 5: A Love Born From Steel
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2006, 08:59:42 pm »
I'm never in my right mind John, so that's my permanent excuse!  :)
   Cowboys do it better

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2006, 09:01:06 pm »
I am off to read Chapter 6 Leslie..
Can't wait..Yeehaww!! :D

Offline houstonangel88

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2006, 09:07:53 pm »
I am heading over to read Chapter 6 too  ;D

Offline David

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2006, 10:08:33 pm »
Oooo!  Thanks Leslie!    Loved chapter six.

Um, question for ya though....  How do you know about those magazines?    ::)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2006, 01:00:35 am »
Leslie--wrote you some comments over on the Fanfiction board--and a little haiku right here, in my haiku column, that doesn't have anyone but me in it! (and encouragement, of course!). Just silly stuff...

It JUST occurred to me...when did "gay" become widely used to mean homosxexual? It's more recent than we think...you're probably safe with the '70s, even in Texas, but--I'd like to be sure. I noticed that the older guys on PT (45-50*) didn;t like the use of "queer" in Willie Nelson's song--you gotta be so careful about junk like that. My sister, every time she sees a period movie, or (mostly) when she reads a period book, finds about 1,000,000,000. anacronisms..drives me BONKERS!

I'm reading "Maurice," written in 1911, and published in '78...jeeez...

You know, in Lincoln's time--there WAS no word for homosesxuality at all.."for what it's worth"...

I like this one...(obviously!) CLICK TO ENLARGE
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2006, 02:31:04 pm »
Julie--

From what I've read, the first use of the term gay to refer to a homosexual was by Cary Grant in "Bringing Up Baby" (1939).

When I was reading the history of the physique magazines, there were several comments that they used that term regularly, as a way to "force" it in the lexicon, as it were. Since I am making Jack a little more "gay aware" (and trying to be a bit more assertive with it around Ennis) I am thinking he would have been comfortable using it...even if it wasn't entirely commonplace.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2006, 04:59:24 pm »
Great stuff, anyway--fuckin' Jack Twist, he's got it all figred out...

You know if I hadn't LOOKED at the fanfiction this afternnon, and noticed there was one more post in your thread--I never wopuld have known that you answered my post--people getting careless around here? I post something in the huge "Swooning" thread, and they tell me the next 20 posts that come in...

I didn't mention is before, but--guess that's the end of Bobby.. was hoping you'd do more with him and Jack than the blasted movie did...I figure, since Jack already brought all his stuff to the ranch from Lureen's, he's already talked to Bobby.

Bob just heard Willie Nelson's Valentine's Day song for the first time...he loves "What did you think all them saddles and boots was about?"  I'll make a convert of him yet...I notice he doesn;'t leave the room when I play the DVD (as awful as it is; I'm sneaking his Toshiba out of the house this afternoon, to get it fixed).

If I don't stop posting this picture, someone's gonna tear up my scanner..C.LICK TO ENLARGE
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 05:01:18 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline David

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2006, 06:18:01 pm »
Tell you what......

Truth is.........

I'm begining to wish your version of the story was the one they made into a movie!

:'(

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2006, 09:18:42 pm »
Actually, Julie--

Bobby's coming back. I thought they shortchanged him in the movie, but he is in my story. Junior and Jenny, too.

This ride ain't endin' right away. I have some ground to cover....

Leslie