Author Topic: A Love Born From Steel - Ongoing Discussion  (Read 298812 times)

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: A Love Born From Steel: Ongoing Discussion
« Reply #410 on: June 29, 2006, 09:02:30 pm »
I'm late getting to your story, Leslie, but I printed it out today and I'm in the middle of reading chapter 4.  You told me that if I liked madlori's that I'd like yours, and I have to say that you are very right so far. I'm going to have to be careful what I read on this thread, apparently, because I'm going to find out things I shouldn't know yet.  :)  I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep with visions of Jack and Ennis floating through my dreams! Just wanted to say that I'm glad I'm on board with you - I think this is going to be a great story. Thanks!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #411 on: June 30, 2006, 05:27:43 am »
Hey Tamarack,

Welcome to my world of readers. Glad to have you on board! Enjoy the story and if you have questions, let me know.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #412 on: July 01, 2006, 07:22:18 am »
Leslie, I just read chapter 5 last night and almost turned my computer back on to tell you what I thought!

As a horse person from the time I was born (loving them that long, not owning them that long - the owning came much later) I am always aware of Ennis's attention to his horses. He takes care of the horses and then he takes care of himself, the way it should be. (Of course, they were supposed to be going for a ride in the evening to give them some exercise since Ennis wouldn't have time to mow the field, what with picking up their stuff at the motel, talking to Lureen, and then meeting with Hal and all, and now they're christening the bed....hmmmmm. Oh well, it was a busy day, and he is going for a ride, so to speak, so I guess it all works out!  ;))

Speaking of Lureen, what a great section! I love the lines in the movie when Lureen says "It's funny, ain't it? Husbands don't never seem to dance with their wives. Why do you think that is, Jack?" I run that over in my mind quite often because I love her accent on those lines. My point being, I could hear her voice so clearly when she was talking to Jack, and then telling Ennis, "Stand up. I wanta look at you," "Shut up, Jack," then, "He's a looker." I laughed out loud. That was so great! The whole section at their house was just perfect. I can definitely see Lureen taking the news like she did, not getting all hysterical, just more of a "hmmm...interesting" kind of a reaction. Catching the meaning of Ennis' horse being named Twister, would have been willing to keep working with Jack since he is good for the business, "You take good care o' him, y'hear?" and then poking Ennis and telling him to call her Lureen. I love her attitude. She's a strong woman, she sees the writing on the wall, and she's going to make the best of it and not make everybody around her miserable because of it.

Can you tell I love it?!

(Is this too much to be saying here in this thread? I was going to register on the fan fiction site but it seemed like it was more for posting stories, which I am definitely not going to be doing.)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #413 on: July 01, 2006, 09:59:18 am »
Leslie, I just read chapter 5 last night and almost turned my computer back on to tell you what I thought!

<stuff deleted>

Can you tell I love it?!

(Is this too much to be saying here in this thread? I was going to register on the fan fiction site but it seemed like it was more for posting stories, which I am definitely not going to be doing.)

Thank you very much. I really appreciate  your comments and feedback!

You can post here, I would be happy to get in a discussion. You can also post comments on LiveJournal, if you want. The story starts here

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/417.html

I think it is easier to be interactive over on LiveJournal, rather than fanfiction.

As for Lureen, thanks for those comments. I have had a few criticisms, people telling me that she was much more fire-y, she would have blown her top, etc., but my view was that she had known something was wrong for awhile and was more relieved than angry to finally find out what was going on.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #414 on: July 02, 2006, 01:10:54 pm »
I looked around over on LiveJournal, hoping to find the comments about not-fiery Lureen, but am back here empty-handed.  Maybe it's a question of definition, but I don't see Lureen as fiery at all. I see her (movie L.) as the somewhat spoiled only child of a stud duck who is used to getting what she wants, whether it's a barrel horse or a husband. She's a good business woman, having probably grown up around her daddy's business, and see's Jack as an asset to the business, even if the marriage didn't work out. "He drank a lot" she told Ennis on the phone, so it wasn't a shock to her that her husband wasn't happy, and although she probably isn't used to not having things work out her way, she is smart enough to know that it isn't her fault. Also, being who she is and where she is, she has a lot more options than Alma did when it ended with Ennis. Lureen knows that she'll be alright without Jack, and that they can probably remain at least friendly, if not friends. (I did see Louisev's comment over on the journal and I also think that Jack leaving her for a man has a lot to do with her attitude. Being left for a woman would no doubt have evoked a different reaction. Then we may have seen fiery Lureen!)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #415 on: July 03, 2006, 09:29:05 am »
Hey Tamarack,
I think you assessment of Lureen is spot on. That's exactly the way I saw her, too, and wrote her. She shows up again in the story but I won't spoil that for you.

L

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #416 on: July 03, 2006, 09:28:26 pm »
I have to say, Leslie, that since this morning when I was reading Chapter 8, I have had the most wonderful image of Jack and Ennis on the couch with their long legs all twisted together. I think that is going to get me through the coming week...I don't blame Tom a bit for watching!  ;)

And the scene with the rings was really nice, each of them touching the other's ring just before it came to rest on their fingers.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #417 on: July 04, 2006, 06:15:30 am »
Tamarack...

You are picking up on all my favorite scenes! Thanks so much...keep reading, enjoy!

L

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #418 on: July 04, 2006, 09:31:54 am »
I've been reading since a little after 6 am but it's been slow going through all the tears! I am just so happy for Jack and Ennis - their lives are coming together (have come together) so perfectly - the girls are fitting right in, Bobby is okay, even Alma is dealing with things even though she disapproves of it all. (I live about 600 feet from several horses, and, of course, there is a lot of whinnying and nickering in the mornings when they are being fed. It's a great sound track for your story.  :D )

I was so glad that you acknowledged Ennis' work ethic in chapter 12. That is one of the reasons I fell in love with him right in the beginning. Even up on Brokeback it was so evident. (It's funny - I love Ennis' to death and have been thinking how his life is the life that I would want to have, but recently I realized that it would be better to be Jack, because then I could make love to Ennis!  ;) )

Thanks, Leslie.

There's a little sense of foreboding with the conversation between Ennis and Jeanie, and then the comment about 2 gay guys and kids and the plans for giving riding lessons. And not too long after, Junior came along with her Nancy Drew books. I hope it's just really my imagination running wild here and that there won't be any need to draw on things that Jack is learning about "sleuthing" (that is a cool word, I agree with Junior!) as he reads Junior's books.

And then there's Hal. Isn't Ennis being just wonderful? Both of them, really. Jack was just great with Jenny and Junior. Their love for each other is just so huge that it spills over to everyone else, too. And Ennis is clearly being so much more accepting of himself and who he is. He is getting so good at handling those "awkward moments" that would have sent him over the edge not too long ago.

I'll never look at my copy of The Joy of Cooking in quite the same way again! I think I'll move it (actually I just got up and did it!) to the kitchen counter on a permanent basis, just so I can have a Brokeback moment whenever I see it there. I'm getting a kick out of all the cooking that Jack is doing. (It would be good if this made me do a little more cooking.)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #419 on: July 05, 2006, 05:42:59 am »

I'll never look at my copy of The Joy of Cooking in quite the same way again! I think I'll move it (actually I just got up and did it!) to the kitchen counter on a permanent basis, just so I can have a Brokeback moment whenever I see it there. I'm getting a kick out of all the cooking that Jack is doing. (It would be good if this made me do a little more cooking.)

I would advise against the Crab Mongol, though!

L