Author Topic: Most Annoying Travel Habits  (Read 50374 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Most Annoying Travel Habits
« on: December 28, 2008, 02:13:14 am »
Most Annoying Travel Habits

As vacationers board a plane, train or bus this holiday season, many will be hoping the passenger behind them is not a seat kicker.

A global survey conducted by TripAdvisor, an independent travel advisory service, has found that one in three travellers nominated seat-kicking children sitting behind them as the biggest annoyance while travelling, followed by inconsiderate chair recliners. Fellow passengers who took too long stowing their luggage or who talked loudly on their mobile phones also infuriated their fellow commuters.

Which one of TripAdvisor's Top 8 is your pet travel annoyance? Perhaps you hate all of them? In that case, tick them all! If your favourite travel annoyance isn't listed, tick "Other" and tell us what it is.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Most Annoying Travel Habits
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 02:22:33 am »
I must admit I hate it when kids kick the back of my seat, especially on an airplane, but I'm willing to dismiss it on most occassions because I love kids. I probably kicked a few seats too when I was little. I always try to remember that.

I have some stories! Some stooooooooories.....

I'll share some of my travel nightmares later in this thread. But one in particular comes to my mind right now. It happened during a flight from Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Indianapolis, Indiana non-stop. The man next to me had a terrible gas problem. He kept farting. The annoying part was he didn't act at all sorry about it. He just kept doing it. And it didn't only affect those of us in his row, I could see some of the people several rows in front looking around wondering what happened. I thought about prying open the oxygen mask compartment, but I figured I would probably get in trouble. So I just suffered through it.

That was a very long two hours. Just when I thought he was finished doing it, he'd pop off another one. :P

I wouldn't wish that scenario on my WORST enemy.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 02:37:36 am »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 02:50:57 am »
It wasn't funny Kerry. At least not at the time. But I suppose it is NOW!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 03:09:18 am »
It wasn't funny Kerry. At least not at the time. But I suppose it is NOW!

Can't wait to hear your other travel horror stories, David.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 03:20:24 am »
Can't wait to hear your other travel horror stories, David.  :D

Sounds pretty crazy, David!   :laugh:

I don't mind those things listed as a rule; I just see most of those as part of the 'travel experience'...

I do get annoyed about other things while traveling, like hotels and rental car agencies that lose reservations even tho you have your confirmation number printed out, wake-up calls that don't come as promised, etc...

Most of my travel peeves have involved the people I've had to travel with (not BetterMostians!).

I had to go on a lot of business trips with this one guy from my very first job.  Wherever we went, he always insisted on renting the car and driving - he had seniority, fine.  But I was perpetually carsick because he insisted on accelerating, braking, accelerating, braking, accelerating, braking...you get the idea.  Made me nutz.

Then there was the trip that was supposed to be a fun drive up the coast that turned out to have nightly hotel reservations and a schedule from hell.  I love this woman, but we don't travel well together - we just don't.  The next year, she asked me to go to Italy with her, just two girls, mellow, having fun...I said 'No, that's not going to work for me this year - budget, you know...' while inside I was screaming 'Hell, no!'  I still haven't made it to Italy, but when I do, you can bet it'll be at my own pace.

And another great friend whom I adore - I thought we traveled well together - and we do - as long as he's driving.  He visits me, can't drive a stick shift, so I have to drive.  He's so incredibly anxious he's reading every roadsign to me, and I do mean *every* roadsign...'Georgia Peanuts, Next Exit'...I'll still travel with him, but he has to drive or rent the car.

:laugh: :laugh:
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 04:03:08 am »
I picked smelly food because I usually want some of it.

The most annoying flight I ever had was a USAir flight
to Pittsburgh. About halfway into the flight a really old
dude could not help it and he shit in his seat and sat there.
I was able to handle it till suddenly about 10 people pulled
out all types of perfumes and spritzers to cover them smell.
The combined spritzer smell which was supposed to help
almost made me upchuck worse than the poop.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 04:16:57 am »
I didn't pick any, because although I would find all of those annoying -- let alone the situation David described!  :-X -- none of them have happened to me in a big way.

If anything, I have been the one to annoy my fellow travelers by bringing my kids on board. It's hellish traveling with small children, however much you try to control their behavior. I've brought on every imaginable manner of games, tapes, candy, books and other distractions. We would often wait until the very last moment before the plane took off just to minimize our time on board. Once, we came late and thus got free first-class seats -- and our 2-year-old (at the time) puked on the floor. All I could think about was that some of the surrounding people had probably paid full price for those seats.

But speaking of smelly food, here's a piece I read a while ago and found really charming, and not just because I (very slightly) know the writer and, as a one-time New Orleanian who loves muffalettas -- and have brought them to the airport -- can relate to the situation:

Sandwiched in Coach
By Mimi Read

Would you ask a total stranger for a bite of his lunch? Tired, ravenous, and wedged in next to a man eating that glorious New Orleans specialty the muffuletta, the author comes face-to-face with a few truths about food, love, and shared humanity.

Today I'm boarding a big gray airbus at Louis Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans, where I live. The plane is heading for New York City. Every last seat, I'm told, will be occupied. Oh, the glamour of travel! Pushing, ducking, and turning sideways, I make my way down a crowded aisle, hoisting an illegal number of carry-on bags. I have an empty feeling in my stomach because, in this pack-mule condition, there's been no time to even think about eating.

"Excuse me" and "thank you," I say to the man seated on the aisle as I step over him into the middle seat. But I don't say more because we've both adopted the pretense of solitude that strangers fall into so readily when crowded together in certain environments. This is not antagonism. It's just a way of saying, "I have my uncracked issues of BookForum and House Beautiful, you're halfway through The Tipping Point, and why spoil three good hours of captive reading?"

But then something happens that I have not bargained for.

Once the plane is airborne, the guy stands, opens his knapsack, and pulls out an enormous muffuletta sandwich wrapped in oil-stained white paper. I grew up eating muffulettas, so I know exactly what it is even before he unwraps it. I can practically taste it.

One of the lustiest inventions in the world, the muffuletta is said to have been created about a century ago at Central Grocery in New Orleans's French Quarter. Sicilian farmers selling their vegetables at the nearby French Market wanted a tasty, compact lunch reminiscent of the old country—something they could eat while sitting on a barrel. Central Grocery is still around and, except for its now-touristy clientele, seems wondrously unchanged: a beloved relic of the days when the French Quarter was the closest thing New Orleans had to a Little Italy. (During the past three centuries, the Quarter has, by turns, been dominated by French, Spanish, and Italian communities, and each of them has put a stamp on it.) In a room crowded with hanging prosciuttos di Parma, sacks of dried fava beans, and polychrome cans of Italian olive oil, employees still make muffulettas one by one at a patient, old-world pace. The flavors in the muffuletta are exuberantly Sicilian—briny, garlicky, vinegary, pungent—with not a hint of Creole influence, and the sandwiches are such a popular item among locals and tourists that many other restaurants, groceries, and caterers around town make their own versions too.

Recipes vary, but a classic muffuletta consists of a round, seeded pillow of Italian bread split and layered with garlic-spiked olive salad, spicy capicola ham, Genoa salami, and a pile of thinly sliced provolone and Swiss cheeses. The most faithful versions also include slices of mortadella sausage studded with white gemstones of pork fat.

From a hedonist's perspective, the muffuletta is a beatific thing and not to be messed with. But I've also tasted pastrami muffulettas (not bad) and vegetarian muffulettas with double the cheese (if you must). Sometimes at home I make organic turkey muffulettas on crusty whole grain bread, an adaptation prompted by nebulous health and weight concerns, and one that passes muster for a weekday lunch. Some people heat muffulettas until the cheese melts, and some consider heating them a sacrilege.

It's the olive salad that can't, under any circumstances, be omitted. This relish of lightly crushed olives, minced garlic, chopped green onion, chopped giardiniera (a mixture of pickled vegetables), celery, parsley, capers, and spices is spooned out of an olive oil and vinegar bath that soaks into the bread.

The guy is taking his first bite. I look at him and feel—besides acute envy—a good deal of admiration. What masterful planning! I happen to know that his muffuletta is an original version from Central Grocery. Parking is nearly impossible around that place, and he probably had to go there in a cab on his way to the airport and wait in line at the counter while the car carrying his bags circled the block.

Now coach class is filling up with the bracing aroma of an Italian market, and it seems to me that manna has come tumbling out of an overhead bin—alas, to a place just out of my reach.

I have never in my life remotely considered asking a stranger for food. But being in the air makes me believe the laws of etiquette could flex a bit, as if the Mile High Club might have a strictly culinary chapter I could join. This has never happened to me; emotionally, I find myself helplessly, hopelessly riveted to another person's sandwich. Finally, after a doomed battle with myself, I jettison a lifetime's lessons in propriety and turn to him.

"Did you hear that?" I ask.

"Hear what?" he says.

"It was my stomach growling. Forgive me. It's just that your sandwich smells divine."

Without missing a beat, the man breaks into a smile and hands over a quarter of his sandwich, the whole of which is designed to feed two very hungry people or four less-hungry ones. I take it and eat. Never has a muffuletta tasted so delicious. In no time, we are discussing several of New Orleans's best restaurants, for which he has a neophyte's unbridled enthusiasm. We summon a flight attendant and order minibottles of Merlot. This leads to off-the-cuff philosophizing about the mysteries of why we live where we do—in his case, Manhattan.

When I graduate to asking more personal questions, he tells me he is a concert producer and that for seven years he was married to a woman he loved. Then, a year ago, she died of breast cancer. He is still grieving. The trip to New Orleans was designed as a distraction and a way for him to reconnect with some of the basic things that make him happy, great food ranking high on that list. I tell him about the ins and outs of the relationship I am in, and in doing so, I realize that, as all friends do, we have found our essential subjects: food and love, two inexhaustible larders. He offers me a second quarter of his sandwich, and I take it. He's eating a second piece too.

Soon he and I will disembark. Sadly, I will lose his business card and never be able to send him a thank-you note for reminding me that the most banal, cramped milieus can turn out to be quite comfortable—as long as someone is willing to show a little imagination, a little style, a little heart.

Next time, I'll pack the lunch and hope for a congenial, hungry seatmate. I'll have my magazines, too, just in case. And I'll try to remember that the limitations of a stingy environment can push us to connect when we don't really want to: to reach out, to ask, to give, to take. What a relief it is when walls come down and we find that we can talk to strangers in the down-to-earth language of food. That, in fact, they aren't strangers at all.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 04:18:39 am »

TampaTalon^">

Oh my god!! It probably smelled like someone took a shit in a whorehouse. How did you ever manage to make it through the remainder of the flight? :P

I think I would have probably told him to get his nasty ass up and go to the bathroom. Farting is one thing. Shitting in the seat is quite another. >:(

I can see what you mean though. He was old and couldn't help it. But still.... :-\

Eww. That must have been terrible for you!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 04:24:34 am »

TampaTalon^">

Travel tip: It's time to stop air travel when you can't hold your poop!

Ewwwwwwww.....poor you!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 04:29:08 am »

Ewwwwwwww.....poor you!!

I think what kept me from loosing it was the
woman sitting next to the old dude sat there
with the biggest smile on her face.
I am sure she had ta have severe nasal congestion to get through it.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 04:31:32 am »

Ewwwwwwww.....poor you!!

You just said a mouthful Shasta! I couldn't agree more.

This brings me back to the days when I was payroll manager at Montgomery Ward. Somebody blew loose inside one of the men's restroom stalls. It was BAD ya'll! All over the floor, walls.... the toilet stool...it was just EVERYWHERE. Somebody had a major bowel explosion in there. I decided to go ahead and offered to clean it up (mostly because nobody else wanted to) but I had a flight up to Grand Rapids Michigan later that day, and I didn't have time to return home between work and the time my flight departed. So.... I cleaned it up, then cleaned off my clothes the best I could, finished work and then headed to the airport. I have often times wondered what I smelled like during the flight. I don't remember anyone looking at me weird, but then again, that might just be my selective memory! :P

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 04:45:34 am »
Children. As soon as I see children in any form or shape when traveling, I turn and go the other way. They are evil.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 04:48:11 am »
On one end of the spectrum, the muffuletta.  On the other end of the spectrum, the, um, other posts.

I'm in a physical tizzy from going from delectation to revulsion.  And all I was going to do was apologize for my kid kicking the back of your seat.  Or leaning on her tray table so that she jostled your seat.

K, didn't you once tell me a very funny name you had for the rigors of traveling with children?

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 08:27:52 am »
ROTFLMAO!  :laugh: I have been literally screaming with laughter here. I'm positive I wouldn't be laughing if those things had happened to me. But as they didn't  happen to me . . . . .  :laugh:

Thanks for posting your funny (appalling?) travel stories, everyone. I'm heading off to bed with a big ole smile on my face tonight.  :laugh:

Still laughing . . . . .  :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 11:41:33 am »
K, didn't you once tell me a very funny name you had for the rigors of traveling with children?

Flightmare.

When my sons were 1 and 2 we went to the Virgin Islands. It required an all-day, several-legged flight. We made it, but I so dreaded the return trip that I was tempted to call home and have them sell all our stuff and we'd just settle there in idyllic St. John (I was tempted to do this for other reasons, as well).

Back to the other end of the spectrum. This actually happened not to me but to a friend of mine. Someone on her flight threw up all over the place. So the flight attendant went over, looked at the mess, flung up her hands, cried, "I can't handle this!" turned around and ran away!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 07:03:07 pm »
Flightmare.

Flightmare, that's it!  :)  Good one.

Mini-Meno has matured so much now, that I'm thinking of taking a 32 hour train trip with her. 

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 07:09:03 pm »
Flightmare.

When my sons were 1 and 2 we went to the Virgin Islands. It required an all-day, several-legged flight. We made it, but I so dreaded the return trip that I was tempted to call home and have them sell all our stuff and we'd just settle there in idyllic St. John (I was tempted to do this for other reasons, as well).

I have always wondered if people traveling with children notice that people try to not sit close to them etc?

I always try to be descrete with my childrenphobia ;D when traveling, but I somtimes wonder if they notice anyways :P

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 07:19:10 pm »
I have always wondered if people traveling with children notice that people try to not sit close to them etc?

I always try to be descrete with my childrenphobia ;D when traveling, but I somtimes wonder if they notice anyways :P

I try to notice the people who wish we weren't nearby, and try to accommodate them.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 08:09:49 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:

Yup farting is not pretty but sometimes it can't be helped.... think of all the people (like me!!) who have IBS and while wildly embarassed by the their public farting, simly cannot do anything about it!!!  :P
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 08:30:01 pm »
I voted other.

Smells are what bother me most on trips.

Yes, the muffuletta story sounded very enjoyable and delicious to me.  I wouldn't mind the smell of it when trapped on a transport like a plane.  However, it's likely not everyone enjoyed the odor.

The neighbors I used to have cooked a meal every Sunday that contained, I don't know what kind of hellish spice.  It was rank and stank like spiced sanitation worker summer armpit.  The stench would permeate through the other 3 apartments in our section and last about 2 days.  By the time it started to fade, another weekend would be here and the meal would be prepared again.

I can't imagine someone bringing whatever dish that was on board a plane and eating it, expecting others to put up with it.

My first flight to London, I was very grateful.  I managed to get to my seat just to find a man already sitting in it.  He looked Middle Eastern or Indian.  I politely advised him of this fact and he apologized and moved past me to get to his seat in the correct row - the one behind me.  As he moved past me, his scent hit me full force.  He hadn't bathed in days.  He smelled really bad and strongly.   As I made my way to my seat and the man moved to his seat, I caught a glimpse of the horrified expression of the woman who was now forced to sit next to him for the next 8 hours.

While in England, I took a crowded train to Brighton.  While traveling, I realized, that sitting next to the window, facing the back of the train was making me a little motion sick.  So long as I was able to breathe slowly and calmly, I was able to control my nausea.  Then a nice looking young man from some Slavic nation sat next to me.  He hadn't bathed in days either. 

Imagine already being nauseated by motion sickness and trying to stave off vomiting by breathing deeply of dirty armpit air.

I ended up sticking my nose in window vent, breathing very shallowly with my head turned away and my eyes closed.

It was a long trip to the coast.  :P

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 09:14:12 pm »

I think I would have gone to the steward, and told them to make that person go and clean up, or at least asked to be changed to a
different seat.  One should never have to undergo that............uuuuuuuuuuuuuuk

Beautiful mind

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 09:18:57 pm »

They may notice, but if so I bet they often understand. Many people with children don't like sitting close to other people's children. Heck, some people with children wish they didn't have to sit close to their OWN children!

Children can be obnoxious on a plane (or in a restaurant or movie theater) -- that's all there is to it. People who have kids and travel mostly realize this, but can't help it. If you can't fix it, you just gotta stand it.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 05:36:29 am »

Children can be obnoxious on a plane (or in a restaurant or movie theater) -- that's all there is to it. People who have kids and travel mostly realize this, but can't help it. If you can't fix it, you just gotta stand it.

Before I had a child, I didn't understand why parents didn't control their kids better.  Now I know there is only so much control one can have in the moment short of removing the kid from the situation, especially if the kid is stressed out, like during travel. 

In a restaurant, I have always taken my child right out when she's acted up, and wouldn't stop within a few seconds.  But in an airplane, what can you do?  We're all stuck.  Luckily, she's reached the age of a little reason.  But dang those earliest years were a challenge.  Everybody hates being cooped up, but for a little kid, it can feel intolerable.  And unlike delalluvia, who showed great coping skills by turning to the window, breathing fresh air, with eyes closed, a little kid doesn't know how to endure stuff.  And if a baby is crying on a plane, it's probably because its tiny little eustachian tubes hurt unbearably, and doesn't have the capacity to understand that crying makes it all the worse.  That is one of the things I taught Mini-Meno as early as she could understand - crying on airplane makes your ears hurt worse.  She understood that by the time she was two and a half or so.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 11:52:57 am »
Before I had a child, I didn't understand why parents didn't control their kids better.  Now I know there is only so much control one can have in the moment short of removing the kid from the situation, especially if the kid is stressed out, like during travel. 

Exactly. I'd see kids misbehaving and assume they had terrible parents. I've sure got my comeuppance for that attitude.

Now I understand that the only thing parents do in those situations that is terrible is, sometimes, take the kids into a place they aren't old enough to be in -- a movie, a nice restaurant -- and then not remove the kids when it's clear they shouldn't be there. Otherwise, the children's childlike behavior is a developmental issue, not a disciplinary one.

And if a baby is crying on a plane, it's probably because its tiny little eustachian tubes hurt unbearably, and doesn't have the capacity to understand that crying makes it all the worse.  That is one of the things I taught Mini-Meno as early as she could understand - crying on airplane makes your ears hurt worse.  She understood that by the time she was two and a half or so.

As I recall, the biggest problem with my kids wasn't crying, it was that they couldn't stand to be confined to a seat for that long. Once they could walk, it was almost impossible for them to sit still for more than a few minutes. I'd bring toys, music, snacks, books ... every distraction I could think of, and then hope they'd fall asleep for a good part of the time. But at some point they'd just have to get up and take a stroll in the aisle.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 01:28:14 pm »
While travelling with children can be stressful, I've found a few things that help, and I would also recommend travelling with your children as often as you can. It helps them be more self confident and better global citizens when they are older.

One tip is to fly first class. When my daughter was about 2, we obtained her first frequent flyer card, and the airline promoted us to first class as a thank you. As all the passengers filed onto the plane, she said, "I'm sitting here and you're not!" (which was cute but also a little mean; most people laughed or smiled). Flying first class is also great when you have a babe in arms, particularly since I've found the best way to quiet a crying baby is breast feeding it. The other first class passengers are not particularly happy with me being there with a child, but tough!!

Airlines vary in the way they accommodate children. The best experience I ever had was when I flew to Zurich when my daughter was about 10 months old on Swiss Air. For take off, there was a special seat belt that hooked onto my seat belt so I could hold her in my lap but still have her be safe. Then, while my husband and I enjoyed a four course dinner and a movie, my daughter was stowed in a swinging hammock above my head, complete with a down comforter. The hammock also held extra diapers, toys, and mementoes of the trip. Now that was heaven!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 01:44:23 pm »
One tip is to fly first class.

Ha. These days I can barely afford coach ...

But once we did fly first class, because we got to the airport late and those were the only seats left. (I've told this story before -- I hope not on this very thread [insert blushing smiley]!) Anyway, at one point my 2-year-old son threw up all over the floor. All I could think of were those poor first-class passengers who may have paid full price for their seats and still had to endure this.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 03:12:46 pm »
I'm sitting here crying with laughter!

the stories about the farts and such remind me of a conversation I had with a Brokie named gnash, who told me about a "red eye" flight he took.

Everyone was asleep (except for him) and people all around him were farting.  One of the flight attendents happened to pass by and see his expression, and they struck up a conversation on this subject.  The attendent said that it seems to happen every "red eye" flight, and sometimes it can get really bad.

he then thought that he should invent something that would be inserted up the butt, a tube shaped whistle.

not only would this change the sound of the fart to a pleasant tune, it would change the scent to something pleasant.  Together, we decided the name should be "anal aromas", and pictured a conversation like this:

Man 1:  "Excuse me, is that "Ode to Joy" coming out of your pants?"

Man 2:  "Yes, it's my 'Anal Aroma'."

Man 1:  "Oh, of course.  I see you have cinimon apple scented in today."

Man 2:  "Yes I do!"

Man 1:  "Ah, I'm wearing 'New Car Interior'."

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2008, 03:34:44 pm »
My own personal worst travel experience....

In June I went to Oxford, UK.  It was my first time overseas.  I picked a night flight, thinking I could catch a nap on the plane, and it would help with the jet lag.

I was very excited, and was reading a book when we took off.  When we were in the air, it was then that I realized I was surrounded by teenagers.

Turns out they were all in a program called "People to People".....and this was their first international flight.  They were ever so excited!

*puts hands to face and squeals in happiness*

I reminded myself that I was a teen once too, and didn't want to come off as the "grumpy old fart" so i sat in silence as they talked and laughed and squealed in excitement.....very loudly.

Night time came, and I was ready to try to drift off.  Well, that's when they all decided that it was time for flash photography.

::)

Loud talking and posing and laughing ensued, and the flashing made it like trying to sleep in a disco.  After what seemed like forever, they settled down.

Just when I thought I could go to sleep, one of them raised the screeen and said....."Oh, the sun's comming up!  The sky's pink!"

More squeals of exctiment and flash pics ensued.

::)

I landed, got my bags, went through customs, and crammed myself on an underground to Finsburry to meet the friends who were waiting on me.

Their first comment to me was that I looked worn out.

I recounted the above story to them, and ended it with this sentance:

"I now understand why some animals eat their young!"

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2008, 03:42:01 pm »
Oh my. I'm laughing at all the stories :laugh:
Though I wouldn't want to live through most of them.

I think I don't have a single unpleasant travel story, but dozens of happy ones. Last year, on my flight home from the Brokeback BBQ in Estes Park, I was caught for a full extra day in Philadelphia. I had really bad Brokie withdrawl, I missed the Brokies so much. But at the end of the flight to Philadelphia, when it was clear that we wouldn't reach our connecting flights, the girl next to me and I got into talkin 'n all. Later a young man joined us and we three stayed together the next one and a half days. We chatted in the bar of our hotel till the wee hours of morning, then met again for breakfast the next day and just stuck together. Luckily, on our flight to Frankfurt, the seat next to him was empty so he and I spend nine more hours together (the girl flew to another destination).
You wouldn't believe how much fun one can have waiting for five hours in an airport terminal :laugh:.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008, 03:45:40 pm »
not only would this change the sound of the fart to a pleasant tune, it would change the scent to something pleasant.  Together, we decided the name should be "anal aromas", and pictured a conversation like this:

Man 1:  "Excuse me, is that "Ode to Joy" coming out of your pants?"

Man 2:  "Yes, it's my 'Anal Aroma'."

Man 1:  "Oh, of course.  I see you have cinimon apple scented in today."

Man 2:  "Yes I do!"

Man 1:  "Ah, I'm wearing 'New Car Interior'."

OMG, just the thought of it....

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2008, 04:02:54 pm »
Oh, I do remember an unpleasant travel story.
We were on an eight hour long car drive to Austria with our kids (only two kids at that time).

Anyway, during one of our breaks we went into a rest stop to have something to eat. Hey great, how children-friendly they were, they had a specific area for kids and their parents, with a small play-corner, small tables and seats and so on.
It didn't take long and my girls got up from the table and into the play corner. They didn't misbehave, they didn't scream or run around, they just played.
Two elderly women sitting directly in the children's area took offense on that and we had a pretty heated run-in.
The whole place was almost empty, they could have sat anywhere, but no, they choose to take a table in the playing corner - and then complain in a really rude manner about playing kids. ::)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2008, 06:05:41 pm »
Here was my Worst Vacation Ever. Not particularly gross, although there was some vomit involved.

My husband and I went to Charleston, S.C. First he got sick with stomach flu for a couple of days. When he recovered, I got sick with the same flu.

Meanwhile, it snowed in Charleston for the first time in 10 years, and since we were visiting there from Duluth, this turn of weather was not welcome.

After a couple of days, I recovered from the flu, and we ventured out to dinner. That night, I was sick again -- either a relapse or food poisoning.

Finally, on our last night in Charleston, we still weren't feeling great, so we decided to just settle into our cozy motel room for a quiet night of watching cable TV, which was a treat because we didn't have it ourselves at the time. About 10:30 p.m., we started to hear some noise. I looked out of the door and saw a lot of young people standing around outside drinking (it was one of those places where the rooms open onto the parking lot).

Turns out the whole rest of the motel had been rented out to a fraternity for a giant party. It was like one of those scenes in a movie, when the stars gradually realize that all the other people in the mall are actually aliens.

We checked out of the motel and into a much nicer one -- at midnight. So we stayed up late and had a couple of hours to enjoy our room before leaving the next day.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2008, 09:29:55 pm »

In a restaurant, I have always taken my child right out when she's acted up, and wouldn't stop within a few seconds.  But in an airplane, what can you do?  We're all stuck.  Luckily, she's reached the age of a little reason.  But dang those earliest years were a challenge.  Everybody hates being cooped up, but for a little kid, it can feel intolerable.  And unlike delalluvia, who showed great coping skills by turning to the window, breathing fresh air, with eyes closed, a little kid doesn't know how to endure stuff.  And if a baby is crying on a plane, it's probably because its tiny little eustachian tubes hurt unbearably, and doesn't have the capacity to understand that crying makes it all the worse.  That is one of the things I taught Mini-Meno as early as she could understand - crying on airplane makes your ears hurt worse.  She understood that by the time she was two and a half or so.

I don't have a problem with infants or toddlers on a plane.  They can't help things.  I do have a problem with children old enough to be in school who can't behave with decorum.  Sure, get antsy, take a walk, stare at me over the seat - knock yourself out, kid.  But whining, screaming and tantrums at that age?  >:(

As for teenagers, sure, enjoy your first flight, but c'mon kids, seeing as it's a red-eye, Cellar the flight attendant should've come to ask them to be quiet in consideration of their fellow passengers.  I was asked to turn off my reading light once.  Me, sleep on a plane?!?!  :o

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2008, 09:34:08 pm »
As for teenagers, sure, enjoy your first flight, but c'mon kids, seeing as it's a red-eye, Cellar the flight attendant should've come to ask them to be quiet in consideration of their fellow passengers.  I was asked to turn off my reading light once.  Me, sleep on a plane?!?!  :o

well, I guess they gave tooo much leeway since they were on their first flight.   ::)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2008, 09:43:04 pm »

well, I guess they gave tooo much leeway since they were on their first flight.   ::)

I definitely agree.  Normally they give you a tour of the cockpit on your first flight if it's special, not let you rock the plane the entire way there.  :P

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 12:29:51 pm »
Oh my. I'm laughing at all the stories :laugh:
Though I wouldn't want to live through most of them.

I think I don't have a single unpleasant travel story, but dozens of happy ones. Last year, on my flight home from the Brokeback BBQ in Estes Park, I was caught for a full extra day in Philadelphia. I had really bad Brokie withdrawl, I missed the Brokies so much. But at the end of the flight to Philadelphia, when it was clear that we wouldn't reach our connecting flights, the girl next to me and I got into talkin 'n all. Later a young man joined us and we three stayed together the next one and a half days. We chatted in the bar of our hotel till the wee hours of morning, then met again for breakfast the next day and just stuck together. Luckily, on our flight to Frankfurt, the seat next to him was empty so he and I spend nine more hours together (the girl flew to another destination).
You wouldn't believe how much fun one can have waiting for five hours in an airport terminal :laugh:.

After our Brussels Brokie meet I had the same thing Chrissi - I spent a fairly fun 8-12 hrs with this guy who had been waiting in the queue behind me on the Sunday night and then I met again on the Monday morning. We ended up on the same flights home so it was quite fun, we pooled out food tockens together and bught the most enourmous amount of shit in the cafe. And then we tried to sneak into the business lounge wth no luck!  :laugh:

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2008, 12:31:09 pm »
So my nomination for most annoying airline habit is the same as before the baggage restrictions: folks who make everyone behind them wait while they try and jam their "carry-on" the size of a rhiniceros into the overhead bin,
[/quote

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2008, 05:15:06 pm »
with over 10 million miles of flying, the seat back kicking is the worst...and it's definitely not just kids. Adults are more often the culprits. A woman behind me, once, was almost at war with the back of my seat. When I turned and asked her politely to kindly refrain from too much pushing and knocking my seat, she sneared "It goes with the territory".

A huge annoyance that was not on the list are the girls with long hair or ponytails who are sitting in front of you and continuously flip their hair over the back of their seat into your face. The action is repeated nearly every 3-4 minutes like a nervous habit. If scissors were only allowed on board!  ;)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 02:00:32 am »
...girls with long hair or ponytails who are sitting in front of you and continuously flip their hair over the back of their seat into your face. The action is repeated nearly every 3-4 minutes like a nervous habit. If scissors were only allowed on board!  ;)

Somehow, this seemed more gross than even the farting, throw-up and excrement posts to me, and when I read your post, I suddenly started sneezing!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 02:03:16 am »
I don't even like it when people in front of me recline their seats the whole way back. I know they're fully entitled to do so, but I don't like it, and I avoid doing it myself. The way planes pack the passengers in these days, a reclined seat can be really intrusive.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 07:53:03 pm »
I don't even like it when people in front of me recline their seats the whole way back. I know they're fully entitled to do so, but I don't like it, and I avoid doing it myself. The way planes pack the passengers in these days, a reclined seat can be really intrusive.

It is, and they have a right to recline, but I also have the right to use the space alloted to me and if that means my doing what I need to do ends up bumping the back of their reclined chair when I do it, well...[shrug]

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 09:02:17 am »
Such a great thread......Im sure a lot of these things mentioned on here were quite traumatic when they were happening, but after the event they certainly are funny to read about.

I dont travel a lot, but on a flight last year from my home town to Sydney, an hour and twenty minute flight, I had a dad and his two little kids in the row behind me. 

I went through the little feet kicking my back seat for a while, but then an hour into the trip, one of the little ones started crying, he was about 2yrs old.  It was a sobbing cry, and he obviously was not very happy. Although it was annoying, I still felt sympathy for both the dad and the child.

Anyway, we landed, got our overhead luggage, and stood out in the aisle waiting to depart the plane....and the dad was in front of me, and he had picked up the little sad child and held him so his head rested on his shoulder. Then it happened.......a missile of vomit sprayed from the kids mouth all down the back of his father's shirt and me being close behind, copped little sprays of it myself.

The poor dad, and that poor little child, was obviously feeling sick for half of that flight. The father was embarrassed and so appologetic to me.

I just said.......take care of the little one, I will be home soon, what little had sprayed on me, would be in the wash before long anyway.

I always sympathise with people who have little ones on a plane, it cannot be easy for them or the child.

I know they can be annoying, to other passengers,but the poor litle child, is in a strange and unnatural envioronment, surrounded by crowds of strangers, not to mention, having their ears blocked up, and maybe feeling some motion sickness, with no where to go and unable to stop until we land. It must be terrifying to them if they dont do it often.

Teenagers, on the other hand, as Chucky experienced, well they should have shown a bit more respect to their fellow passengers and realized its just not all about them, and have their bit of fun, but settled down and shown a bit of dignity and thougt for the others on the plane.

I guess when there are so many people of all ages crammed into that big sardine can, we call an aeorplane, that we really do see how tolerant we can be to others as well as how curteous we can be also.

We did all of our interstate travelling, when our kids were little, by car.....I would like a dollar for everytime we threatened, "if you dont behave, we will put you out and make you walk"......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 10:48:20 am »
Years ago, when I lived on Sydney's Northern Beaches and worked in the city, I used to get the 190 bus to and from work every day. The 190 bus route runs from Sydney to Palm Beach (where the TV soap "Home & Away" is filmed) - a two-hour bus trip back then. I joined the journey at Narrabeen, about half-way along the route, meaning it was still a one-hour journey for me, each way, every day. The buses were very crowded in peak-hour. I sometimes had to stand all the way. If I managed to get a seat, it was usually on the aisle and I often ended-up with someone's butt-cleavage clamped to my bony shoulder for support.  :o Sometimes it was quite pleasant to have a cute guy perching on my shoulder  ;)  but mostly it was not nice at all.  :-\   
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 12:34:07 pm »
For me, it's definitely the cell phone thing. 

When I travel from Boston to New York, I like to take the train.  They have this wonderful invention called the "quiet car", where cell phones and loud conversations are prohibited.  Except when some entitled person decides to ignore the rules.  I recall one young woman who was seated in the quiet car, decided she would gab inanely since the rules clearly didn't apply to her.  A few other passengers firmly reminded her that she was in the quiet car, and she just smirked and kept on gabbing. 

I had more than Lureen's Thanksgiving Day smile when the conductor moved her scrawny ass out of there, pronto.   

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2009, 12:39:53 pm »

I had more than Lureen's Thanksgiving Day smile when the conductor moved her scrawny ass out of there, pronto.   

She thought she had the moxie.  :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2009, 01:16:20 pm »
Somehow, this seemed more gross than even the farting, throw-up and excrement posts to me, and when I read your post, I suddenly started sneezing!!

This is a little off topic.....well maybe not since I was travelling in New York City. I went to my first pride parade and well that is another story for another time. Anyway, I got a fully loaded New York hot dog from one of the vendors. Yes one of those "dirty dogs" as New Yorkers call them. It was delicious until this girl with long braids in her hair decided to flip her head. This led to her braids being in the middle of my hot dog  >:( Oh well, I just threw the rest away. I got to eat half anyway. The funny thing is that she may have wondered later where the chili, mustard, onions, etc. came from that was dangling in her hair. So maybe the joke was on her after all. The morale of the story is to not flip your hair around in crowded places cause you never know where it might land.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2009, 06:28:13 pm »
Years ago, when I lived on Sydney's Northern Beaches and worked in the city, I used to get the 190 bus to and from work every day. The 190 bus route runs from Sydney to Palm Beach (where the TV soap "Home & Away" is filmed) - a two-hour bus trip back then. I joined the journey at Narrabeen, about half-way along the route, meaning it was still a one-hour journey for me, each way, every day. The buses were very crowded in peak-hour. I sometimes had to stand all the way. If I managed to get a seat, it was usually on the aisle and I often ended-up with someone's butt-cleavage clamped to my bony shoulder for support.  :o Sometimes it was quite pleasant to have a cute guy perching on my shoulder  ;)  but mostly it was not nice at all.  :-\   

Oh Kerry, being in a "cattle truck" situation just reminded me of a time I was in the same kind of situation but on a train home from work.

I was in the area at the end of the carriage, where there are just two long seats along the side, and there used to be a bar in the middle and its where everyone crowded in at peak hour to keep away from the door area.

I was 16 at the time, hot day, crowded in body to body (no airconditioning in trains then), and I started feeling faint.

I woke up a few minutes later, lying on the flloor...how I ever managed to get thru the bodies to end up on the floor, I will never know.....but the worst thing of all was I was lying in a puddle of PEE.....because when I had passed out, I had pee'd myself. Obviously a few of the bodies had moved away from me by then, dont know whether it was to give me some air, or they just did not want pee all over their shoes.

Luckily, I was too disorientated when I came to, to be embarrassed, so being in a bit of a daze was a godsend, but when I look back, it absolutely horrifies me to think about what I did.

And of course now, I can laugh about it.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2009, 06:35:03 pm »
Such a great thread......Im sure a lot of these things mentioned on here were quite traumatic when they were happening, but after the event they certainly are funny to read about.

I dont travel a lot, but on a flight last year from my home town to Sydney, an hour and twenty minute flight, I had a dad and his two little kids in the row behind me. 

I went through the little feet kicking my back seat for a while, but then an hour into the trip, one of the little ones started crying, he was about 2yrs old.  It was a sobbing cry, and he obviously was not very happy. Although it was annoying, I still felt sympathy for both the dad and the child.

Anyway, we landed, got our overhead luggage, and stood out in the aisle waiting to depart the plane....and the dad was in front of me, and he had picked up the little sad child and held him so his head rested on his shoulder. Then it happened.......a missile of vomit sprayed from the kids mouth all down the back of his father's shirt and me being close behind, copped little sprays of it myself.

The poor dad, and that poor little child, was obviously feeling sick for half of that flight. The father was embarrassed and so appologetic to me.

I just said.......take care of the little one, I will be home soon, what little had sprayed on me, would be in the wash before long anyway.

I always sympathise with people who have little ones on a plane, it cannot be easy for them or the child.

I know they can be annoying, to other passengers,but the poor litle child, is in a strange and unnatural envioronment, surrounded by crowds of strangers, not to mention, having their ears blocked up, and maybe feeling some motion sickness, with no where to go and unable to stop until we land. It must be terrifying to them if they dont do it often.

Teenagers, on the other hand, as Chucky experienced, well they should have shown a bit more respect to their fellow passengers and realized its just not all about them, and have their bit of fun, but settled down and shown a bit of dignity and thougt for the others on the plane.

I guess when there are so many people of all ages crammed into that big sardine can, we call an aeorplane, that we really do see how tolerant we can be to others as well as how curteous we can be also.

We did all of our interstate travelling, when our kids were little, by car.....I would like a dollar for everytime we threatened, "if you dont behave, we will put you out and make you walk"......

You are a very, very nice person.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2009, 07:24:35 pm »
That's terrible, Sue! Needless to say, no-one came to your aid?  :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2009, 10:12:29 am »
I tell you what, the constant on the cell phone thing can be annoying I know. But I got into an altrecation with an old guy on the commuter train one night.

It was later than normal - I think the 7.30pm train home ( the journey takes about 40 mins) - as I had been dong something after work.

Now the carriage was not empty, but had a good few people on it. But this guy could have got up and moved easily enough. And this was not a quiet carriage, I had 3 calls to make, one to Callum, to let him know what train I was on and when to pick me up. It took about 2 minutes.

The other 2 were my Mum & my sister - there were quick calls nothing major maybe 5 mins each. If I had had a friend with me I would have been talking in the same tone and volume. There was no bad language or inappropriate words or conversations.

And this old guy, maybe in his late 60's started tutting at me, it was clear he was annoyed.

So I asked if there was a problem. (while I was still on the phone to my Mum!) Very politely. And he went off at me. How he had paid to travel and speaking on the phone was this that and the other.

I explained (not as elequently as I would have liked looking back but I was flustered) that I held a season ticket and had paid full price to travel also and that this was not a quiet carriage (there is no such thing on this commuting train)  that perhaps if he had a problem with my short conversations he should go on a train with a quiet carriage.

"Does it look like this train has a quiet carriage you stupid young girl?" he came out with.  >:(

I was so pisssed off. But I kept it polite but said that I was aware of that but perhaps if he had such a problem with my short calls he should should take an alternate form of transport in the future.

He was going off on one sayng you should make your business calls at your place of business.  I said well not that its any of your business but these were short personal calls. 

This guy in the seats across from me, stood up for me and was like "get off your high horse. Shes entitled to make any calls she wants. All the way if she wants".

My mum was like "ooh Kelda just call me when you're home. Dont rock the boat but I was like no. I am allowed to make calls as I want. I just have a rude man opposite me".

I did say to him at that point,  "I'll be off the phone in a few minutes anyway". And he had the audacity to say "well make sure its only a few minutes"!

The other guy was like - "stay on that phone as long as you want" to me and 'You dont have the right to tell her that' to the old guy.

What an old dragon. That old guy REALLY annoyed me. GRRRRR!

The other guy got off the stop before me. And I said "thankyou very much" to him and he was like - "no problem - the guy is being uppity" right in front of him. I smirked the next 3 minutes from that station to mine when I got off!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2009, 10:20:29 am »
I think you handed that very well, Kelda. I bet that old guy had had a bad day and practically was looking for someone to take it out on.
And that other guy sounded pretty cool! It´s nice to hear that a stranger can look out for you like that!

I don´t mind if people talk in phones, it´s no different than if they talk to someone sitting next to them. People that almost scream when they talk to someone over the phone, can be annoying though.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2009, 11:53:11 am »
When you meet someone nice while travelling (like the second guy on Kelda's train), how do you figure out a way to get their name or number so you can see them again? I would like to drop my number or email, but I'm usually too slow-witted to even do that!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2009, 02:42:28 pm »
I think you'd probably just say outright, "Hey, we should keep in touch. Can I get your email address?"

If you wanted to be sneakier, you could mention some intriguing website and tell them you'll send them a link.

About four years ago, on a plane home from Amsterdam, I got to drinkin and talkin with the guy sitting next to me, a Greek psychologist who specialized in human perception of risk. That happens to be a subject in which I have some amateur interest, so we had a good discussion. He said his family had a vacation house on one of the Greek islands, and suggested I visit there sometime.

He was married, apparently happily, and I don't think he meant me to take it too seriously. But wouldn't it be great if I'd obtained his contact info, then suddenly got in touch with him now? "Hey, remember me, from the plane? Well, I've got some frequent-flier miles to use up, and ..."  ;)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2009, 06:26:37 pm »
A thing to do is make your own business card, if you don't have any through your job (or don't know how long the job might last).  And give it to them, saying "let me know if you need anything" or something to that effect.  They'll usually give you theirs too.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2009, 06:27:15 pm »
I have absolutely no problem with people chatting on their mobiles in public. After all, that's what they're for, right? What I do object to, however, is people speaking at the tops of their voices in an enclosed public area, where others can't escape. Why oh why do so many people YELL into their mobiles? I wouldn't mind if they were yelling about something interesting, that I want to hear about. But no, it's usually some inane, vapid drivel, such as "I'VE GOT MY PINK TOP ON! WHAT ARE YOU WEARING?" Sheesh!  :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2009, 06:47:21 pm »
Yeah, I dont have a problem with people talking on mobile phones. I dont use public transport so havent come accross it there, but talking on a phone on a train, is no different to having two people near you having a conversation....Only thing is, on the phone, we can only hear one side of the conversation.

And as far as meeting people when travelling.....I'm sure many people meet and continue friendships where they have met on a short journey.

Only last month, when my friend from America was flying back to Sydney, from our local airport, her plane was delayed for three hours, and we got talking to a lady, who only lived ten minutes down the road from me. We exchanged telephone numbers and email addresses and we have since been in contact and met again for a drink.  And I think we will end up having a nice firiendship and catch up from time to time.We have a few things in common,similar age, and both happy to have found a nice local friend.

pnwDUDE

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2009, 07:01:44 pm »
Kelda, it would have probably made him more mad to simply ignore him. By asking if he had a problem, you gave him the green light to carry on like he did.

I get very annoyed at people who talk on cell phones:

--too loudly

--anytime in restaurants at dining tables

--when they are talking in a public situation instead of paying attention to directions/signs etc., which results in the inconvenience of others

It seems to me, if you are on a commuter train safely in your seat, that is the perfect time to use a cell phone, so long as your not being loud/disruptive.

Brad

Offline Katie77

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2009, 07:18:45 pm »
Mobile phones in restaurants is so so rude....unless it is important, and the phone user has the manners to walk away to somewhere private to deal with the call.

I was in a theatre the other day, seeing the movie, Benjamin Buitton, and a young girl, just up from me, and sitting in front of an older couple, received a mobile phone text. It didn't ring, but obviously vibrated, but when she opened her phone, the light from it was like a bloody beacon in the darkened theatre. The elderly man behind her, asked her nicely to turn it off, and she looked at him, then turned back to the phone and continued replying to her text.

I had made up my mind, after watching that, that if it happened a second time, I would just reach over and grab the phone and she would be searching for it down the front of the theatre some time later.

Luckily it did not happen again.

Made me think of that bloke that pulled the gun in America, watching the same film.......

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2009, 12:43:23 am »
I think cell phone conversations in public confined spaces can be very irritating.  But sometimes necessary.  When I'm in a restaurant and my phone rings and I have to answer it, I usually start the conversation by saying, "I'm in a restaurant and can only talk a moment..."  then I conduct the key portion of the business and hang up til later.  I partly say that so that the person calling me knows why I'm going to be very brief, but also so that my fellow humans in the restaurant around me know that I intend to be very brief.  Or I say, "I'm in a restaurant.  Let me walk outside and call you back," and then do that.  That one doesn't work on a train or bus, of course.  Txting is good that way (other than in dark theaters).

I really do wonder if the variation in preferred cell phone etiquette is a generational thing.  My niece in her mid-20s will answer her phone sitting in my living room and just start talking with no "excuse me" to me and others sitting there, and no attempt at a short conversation.  Suddenly this invisible, inaudible person has joined our conversation, and we, the people actually in the room with her, usually wind up being the ones who politely shut down.  I've wanted to talk to her about this behavior and how much I hate it for years, but don't trust I'll be pleasant about it, so haven't said anything yet.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2009, 01:46:03 am »
'Nother annoying habit...leaving your alarm clock set. When bedding down in a hotel room, make sure your alarm clock is not set for some god-awful hour. I've been woken up by an alarm going off in the (empty) next room very early in the a.m. in two places: Pagosa Springs, Colorado, and Manhattan, New York. I tell you, that was a GDBOAUS!!

pnwDUDE

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2009, 01:50:22 am »
'Nother annoying habit...leaving your alarm clock set. When bedding down in a hotel room, make sure your alarm clock is not set for some god-awful hour. I've been woken up by an alarm going off in the (empty) next room very early in the a.m. in two places: Pagosa Springs, Colorado, and Manhattan, New York. I tell you, that was a GDBOAUS!!

That is a 'housekeeping' problem. Them gals are suppose to check stuff like that when they make up a room.

Brad

Offline opinionista

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2009, 06:47:49 pm »
I really do wonder if the variation in preferred cell phone etiquette is a generational thing.  My niece in her mid-20s will answer her phone sitting in my living room and just start talking with no "excuse me" to me and others sitting there, and no attempt at a short conversation.  Suddenly this invisible, inaudible person has joined our conversation, and we, the people actually in the room with her, usually wind up being the ones who politely shut down.  I've wanted to talk to her about this behavior and how much I hate it for years, but don't trust I'll be pleasant about it, so haven't said anything yet.

I thought I was the only one who thought talking on the phone while in company of someone else is rude.This is something that bothers me a lot. It is disrespectful and I always wonder why the person who calls is suddenly more important!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2009, 07:29:15 pm »
I thought I was the only one who thought talking on the phone while in company of someone else is rude.This is something that bothers me a lot. It is disrespectful and I always wonder why the person who calls is suddenly more important!

Yes, I agree, it is disrespectful when in a group, to ignore the group as if whoever is on the phone is the priority.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2009, 04:03:59 am »
I  got one for you, come across it at an airport though I guess it could happen anywhere: I walk into the restroom and hear this dude yappin on the phone and "taking care of business" simaltaneously. I know this because every now and then he would flush and carry on talking like it was no big thing. Makes you never want to tiouch anyone else's PDA or phone.

Thought it was a new low for the multitasking society, but according to a female freind who was there when I mentioned this later, totally agahast, said oh, it happens all the time in womens restrooms as the girls spend more time in the stalls.

Dont know about you folks but as someone who is not too comfortable going "#1" in public, dont know what'd it do to my plumbing if I was already in a position of needing to use a public facility for the serious business, and along comes some guy, plops down on the throne and then gets on the horn with his buds on top it it. Think it'd be a week before I could unclench.

That brings me back to that memory of mine at Montgomery Ward. :P

Yes. I know what you mean. I have a very shy bladder as well. :(

I won't use a public bathroom unless it is absolutely necessary. And even then, I will ALWAYS enter a stall.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2009, 01:31:34 pm »
I  got one for you, come across it at an airport though I guess it could happen anywhere: I walk into the restroom and hear this dude yappin on the phone and "taking care of business" simaltaneously. I know this because every now and then he would flush and carry on talking like it was no big thing. Makes you never want to tiouch anyone else's PDA or phone.

. . . dont know what'd it do to my plumbing if I was already in a position of needing to use a public facility for the serious business, and along comes some guy, plops down on the throne and then gets on the horn with his buds on top it it. Think it'd be a week before I could unclench.

LMAO!

Maybe the guy had one of those things that hangs on your ear all day (hands-free, ya know)...

What you could do as a prank is get into the next stall and make REALLY loud noises for several minutes. 

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2009, 01:43:08 pm »

:laugh:  I have a friend who is an office manager for a small company and she's had to purchase new cell phones twice in the last year for one of the owners who keeps dropping it in the toilet!  (I didn't ask how he retrieved it!  Eeewwwww.....)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2009, 02:01:32 pm »
My niece in her mid-20s will answer her phone sitting in my living room and just start talking with no "excuse me" to me and others sitting there, and no attempt at a short conversation.  Suddenly this invisible, inaudible person has joined our conversation, and we, the people actually in the room with her, usually wind up being the ones who politely shut down.

What you might do is continue your conversation — loudly enough to hear each other over her cell chatter.  She'd probably either step out of the room with her phone, or get irritated.  Either way you can say "hey, we were talking."

I've wanted to talk to her about this behavior and how much I hate it for years, but don't trust I'll be pleasant about it, so haven't said anything yet.

Are you the one obligated to be pleasant?  It's your house; you can ask that people be polite there.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2009, 03:15:13 pm »
Here's a tale from the other side of a public-cell-phone-use conflict. About a year ago, I was in Border's bookstore when my brother called. In retrospect, I should have just asked to call him back, but I figured we could be done fairly quickly. Frankly, I hate having people call me on my cell phone, I hate even talking on the damn thing under any circumstances, and I just wanted to get it over with. I couldn't leave the store, because I'd already picked out a pile of books and, as it was, clerks kept attempting to reshelve them every time I turned my head.

So I took my books and moved over into the otherwise empty gift-card/picture-frame area -- about 10 feet from the nearest bookshelves -- and tried to speak in hushed tones. My bro had called about some stuff involving our mom, who was ailing (this was a few months before she died), including health-care and banking issues.

A few minutes in, I noticed this guy crouched over by a bookshelf, as I said about 10 feet away, giving me dirty looks. I lowered my voice further, turned and moved in the opposite direction. Then, a couple of minutes later, the guy suddenly loomed up about a foot in front of my face, and started loudly proclaiming in a sarcastic way: "Oh, gee, we're all just so interested in your bank accounts and all that stuff, so why don't you just tell us all about it and disturb everybody in the store while you're at it, and blah blah blah ..." He was talking really loud, right in my face, making it impossible to continue my conversation with my brother, though I could hear him on the other end laughing hysterically.

Finally, I managed to end the conversation with my brother. The guy meanwhile drifted away to the center of the store, and was examining a table of books. I went up to him and said, "You know, I'm sorry if my call disturbed you. But it was my brother, and he was calling to tell me some things about our mother, who is dying, so --" And he interrupted, "Oh, isn't that too bad? Well, gee, I have my problems too, but that doesn't mean I can just go into a bookstore and bother everybody in the place and blah blah blah ..."

I just looked at him and said, "You know what? You're a jerk," then turned and walked away.

So he literally YELLS after me, "Oh, isn't it nice to just walk away when you can't think of anything more to say blah blah blah ..." his voice echoing throughout the store.

I was kind of shaken, but afterward I had to agree with my brother that it was funny and ironic, especially the part about him shouting after me at the end. I'm sure the guy had been waiting for years for that kind of opportunity. And I have no doubt he wound up much more frustrated by the encounter than I was.

I haven't had a cell-phone conversation in a book store since then. But oddly, I have on at least two occasions heard other people talking on their cell phones in book stores -- including right among the book shelves. In both cases, I'm pretty sure I would have hardly noticed them at all if not for my previous experience, and neither one particularly bothered me. When I heard them, I just smiled.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2009, 03:44:34 pm »
God! Any Borders Ive been to are always really noisy - what a dick.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2009, 08:23:53 pm »
God! Any Borders Ive been to are always really noisy - what a dick.

Really!

I agree with Kelda. Border's is not a library. It's a bookstore! A book STORE! People talk in the bookstores around here all the time. But maybe that's because this is the Midwest, and Midwesterners love to talk a lot! ;)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2009, 08:50:24 pm »
Here's a tale from the other side of a public-cell-phone-use conflict. About a year ago, I was in Border's bookstore when my brother called. In retrospect, I should have just asked to call him back, but I figured we could be done fairly quickly. Frankly, I hate having people call me on my cell phone, I hate even talking on the damn thing under any circumstances, and I just wanted to get it over with. I couldn't leave the store, because I'd already picked out a pile of books and, as it was, clerks kept attempting to reshelve them every time I turned my head.

So I took my books and moved over into the otherwise empty gift-card/picture-frame area -- about 10 feet from the nearest bookshelves -- and tried to speak in hushed tones. My bro had called about some stuff involving our mom, who was ailing (this was a few months before she died), including health-care and banking issues.

A few minutes in, I noticed this guy crouched over by a bookshelf, as I said about 10 feet away, giving me dirty looks. I lowered my voice further, turned and moved in the opposite direction. Then, a couple of minutes later, the guy suddenly loomed up about a foot in front of my face, and started loudly proclaiming in a sarcastic way: "Oh, gee, we're all just so interested in your bank accounts and all that stuff, so why don't you just tell us all about it and disturb everybody in the store while you're at it, and blah blah blah ..." He was talking really loud, right in my face, making it impossible to continue my conversation with my brother, though I could hear him on the other end laughing hysterically.

Finally, I managed to end the conversation with my brother. The guy meanwhile drifted away to the center of the store, and was examining a table of books. I went up to him and said, "You know, I'm sorry if my call disturbed you. But it was my brother, and he was calling to tell me some things about our mother, who is dying, so --" And he interrupted, "Oh, isn't that too bad? Well, gee, I have my problems too, but that doesn't mean I can just go into a bookstore and bother everybody in the place and blah blah blah ..."

I just looked at him and said, "You know what? You're a jerk," then turned and walked away.

So he literally YELLS after me, "Oh, isn't it nice to just walk away when you can't think of anything more to say blah blah blah ..." his voice echoing throughout the store.

I was kind of shaken, but afterward I had to agree with my brother that it was funny and ironic, especially the part about him shouting after me at the end. I'm sure the guy had been waiting for years for that kind of opportunity. And I have no doubt he wound up much more frustrated by the encounter than I was.

I haven't had a cell-phone conversation in a book store since then. But oddly, I have on at least two occasions heard other people talking on their cell phones in book stores -- including right among the book shelves. In both cases, I'm pretty sure I would have hardly noticed them at all if not for my previous experience, and neither one particularly bothered me. When I heard them, I just smiled.

You could have just said to him,  "oh, I am so sorry, I didn't realize this was a library."  I didn't know you weren't allowed to talk in here.

What a complete ass.

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2009, 08:59:29 pm »
Quite frankly I couldn't care less if someone is talking on the cell phone within earshot of me. It's really no different than two people talking to each other in conversation except in this case somebody is talking into a phone. Big deal.

I DO find it rude though in those situations like the one Clarissa described - when someone in my group suddenly starts talking on their phone and everyone else is expected to remain quiet until the phone call is terminated. But someone talking on the phone inside a store or in a train carriage? That doesn't bother me at all. :)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2009, 10:16:36 pm »

It doesnt bother me either, but in a movie theatre?  That is just plain rude.  Our theatres all have a message come up, to warn you to silence and
turn off all cell phones and pagers.  I think if you cant abide by that rule, maybe you should not be there.?

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2009, 10:33:33 pm »
Yes, it's definately rude in a theatre. And other similar places.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2009, 11:44:30 pm »
Quite frankly I couldn't care less if someone is talking on the cell phone within earshot of me. It's really no different than two people talking to each other in conversation except in this case somebody is talking into a phone. Big deal.

I DO find it rude though in those situations like the one Clarissa described - when someone in my group suddenly starts talking on their phone and everyone else is expected to remain quiet until the phone call is terminated.
I agree. I have a freind who has that weakness. When he pulls his phone out of his pocket and starts talking, then we "dangling" friends start whispering together and concocting fun things to do, and then, if the phone conversation is protracted, the two of us go off together and leave him talking on the phone! That'll teach him!!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2009, 09:21:01 am »
I know we have gone off topic with this mobile phone thing....but I just wanted to tell you what happened with my nephew today.

He is a mechanic, and two days a week, he works behind the counter at the service centre of a car dealership.

Today, a bloke came in to pick his car up after a service, and Ryan was telling him what work they had done, and was explaining something to him, when the bloke's mobile phone rang, and the bloke answered it, and started talking on the phone, completely ignoring Ryan, who was only half way through talking to him about his car.

So, the phone on the desk rang, and Ryan answered it, and started taking details on phone from someone who wanted to book their car in.....Meanwhile, the bloke had finished his conversation on the mobile phone, and then stood there getting irritated because Ryan was now on the phone.

When Ryan hung up, the customer said he was rude, and had bad customer service..to which Ryan answsered, "well you were rude too, and I would not have taken phone call if you had not been on your mobile phone"......

These dam dang fangled things, they do create problems, thats for sure, and cause people who usually are not rude or ignorent to be so.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2009, 01:57:52 pm »
These dam dang fangled things, they do create problems, thats for sure, and cause people who usually are not rude or ignorent to be so.

Totally!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2009, 06:24:51 pm »
When I wasn't sardined into the 190 bus, the alternative city-bound commuter journey available to me was the equally crowded 150 bus to Manly wharf, from where I would make the half-hour ferry trip across Sydney Harbour to the city. I wish I had a hot dinner for every time I've had someone fall asleep on my shoulder on the ferry. I seemed to attract sleepers, like moths to a flame, on the ferry home at night.   ::)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2009, 06:46:52 pm »
Oh Kerry, that reminds me of a story of a woman I used to work with......

SHE fell asleep on a communter train one time, and woke up on someone's shoulder......

She woke up with a startle and apologised to the bloke, and then saw that she had dribbled on his suit....

She never travelled in that same train carriage again.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2009, 09:05:19 pm »

SHE fell asleep on a communter train one time, and woke up on someone's shoulder......

She woke up with a startle and apologised to the bloke, and then saw that she had dribbled on his suit....

Ewww, thankfully I never attracted any dribblers.  :P
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2009, 09:00:31 pm »
Really!

I agree with Kelda. Border's is not a library. It's a bookstore! A book STORE! People talk in the bookstores around here all the time. But maybe that's because this is the Midwest, and Midwesterners love to talk a lot! ;)

My boyfriend and I were in a Borders cafe once, talking about anything/everything and we got shushed by some woman.  Apparently people are 'reading' and 'studying' in the cafe (the Borders was about a half-mile from a college) and we needed to be courteous.  ???

I thought it was just a store and a store cafe to boot.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2009, 11:20:26 pm »
My boyfriend and I were in a Borders cafe once, talking about anything/everything and we got shushed by some woman.  Apparently people are 'reading' and 'studying' in the cafe (the Borders was about a half-mile from a college) and we needed to be courteous.  ???

I thought it was just a store and a store cafe to boot.

I would have given her an evil glare and then said something like "the library is down the street honey. This is a store. So shush yourself. "

What's wrong with some people? It's a store! Normal conversations shouldn't be annoying to others.... IN A STORE! :laugh:

Lordy lord lord lord. ::)

Offline ZK

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2009, 05:49:08 am »

Oh thats sooo funny!!

If flying and the opportunity presents its self I'll try and grab 40 winks if I am seated away from co-workers in case my mouth is open wide enough to catch flies or snore or do anything else which would embarrass me.

With regard to breaking wind when in the air, well its all got to do with altitude and pressurisation all which affects the gut, that and the fact you are sitting in cramped up position for goodness knows how long. No easy solution, visit the restroom or try doing some stretching exercises can help and never ever under any circumstances eat beans.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2009, 09:00:29 pm »
With regard to breaking wind when in the air, well its all got to do with altitude and pressurisation all which affects the gut, that and the fact you are sitting in cramped up position for goodness knows how long. No easy solution, visit the restroom or try doing some stretching exercises can help and never ever under any circumstances eat beans.

Oh, and it helps if you can go to the bathroom before getting on the plane.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2009, 09:15:50 pm »
Oh thats sooo funny!!

If flying and the opportunity presents its self I'll try and grab 40 winks if I am seated away from co-workers in case my mouth is open wide enough to catch flies or snore or do anything else which would embarrass me.

That expression, breaking wind,  is hilarious. Kinda like falling pregnant!  Oops! I just fell pregnant,  but I'll be okay once I pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again!  ;)   :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2009, 09:20:36 pm »
I have NEVER been to a toilet on a plane.......

Most of my air trips are only an hour and a half, the longest one was four or five hours.

I'm not getting my arse sucked out of no plane, thats for sure..... ::) ::)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2009, 09:29:22 pm »
I have NEVER been to a toilet on a plane.......

Most of my air trips are only an hour and a half, the longest one was four or five hours.

I haven't used one since getting locked in one several years ago. Somehow the locked jammed and the door wouldn't open back up. It was a real big to do, with lots of people standing on the other side trying to figure out how to take the lock off, or flip it back up, whatever. ::)

When they finally got me out, I sat embarrassed in my seat until we landed.

Never again! Never! >:(

I only went in there to PEE for god sakes!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2009, 09:30:10 pm »

OMIGAWD, Sue, I almost just spewed red wine out of my nose!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2009, 09:36:44 pm »
Is that story still kicking around, about getting your butt sucked out of an airplane toilet?

I've never heard of that actually happening.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2009, 09:41:50 pm »
I don't know about that one, but I once heard one about a woman who flushed the airplane toilet while she was still sitting on it. The vacuum from the toilet caused her to get stuck on the seat and she couldn't get back off. I think it was an urban legend though. There seems to be a lot of those floating around lately. :-\

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2009, 09:47:51 pm »
Garrison Keillor recently wrote about this unsettling possibility:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/12/18/opinion/edkeillor.php

International Herald Tribune

How an airplane toilet can ruin your life
By Garrison Keillor
Thursday, December 18, 2008

It is rather haunting, the notice above the Flush button in the toilet on the airliner, "Do Not Flush While Seated On Toilet."

One imagines the engineers of the toilet running tests with flush dummies with big flat butts and the suction ripping the stuffing right out of them, and the engineers thinking, "Oh criminy, you mean we wasted three years on this sucker?"

So lawyers were brought in to write the warning, which had to be short enough to be printed in large type so that old geezers would see it, who are the ones most likely to flush while seated.

So they limited themselves to those seven words and eliminated "Flushing While Seated May Suck Your Colon Out Of You And Cut You A New Orifice While Changing Your Gender In Ways You Don't Even Want To Think About."

I sat down on the closed toilet seat to ponder this and saw that, from the angle of the sitter, the warning notice is not all that prominent. A person could sit there and not notice those seven words, or mistake them for something innocuous such as "Do Not Flush Wallet Down Toilet" or "Use Only As Much Toilet Paper As You Need," the sort of signage that's written by morons for idiots, and so - distracted perhaps by sudden turbulence or feeling rushed because others are waiting - he presses the Flush button and suddenly feels the toilet grip his hinder like a python seizing a rat. He tries to pry himself loose. No go.

Now the flight attendant is tap-tap-tapping on the door. "Are you all right?" she asks.

The man on the toilet, Mr. Murphy, doesn't know how to answer that question. He is, basically, all right in that he is an economist with a shining resumé, is married to a noble and resourceful woman, has three excellent children who are drug-free and on the upward path, and he is flying to Washington to interview for a high-level position in the Department of the Treasury.

On the other hand, he is trapped in the toilet.

She persuades Mr. Murphy to unlock the door. She tries to yank him off the toilet by his wrists and then she lifts up his shirttails and tries to break the seal by inserting her elegant fingers between the toilet seat and his posterior. But he is well and truly stuck.

One last yank and she accidentally pushes the Flush button again and it makes a great flubbery sound that shakes the aircraft, and now poor Murphy feels his innards being pulled downward. He faints. And when he awakens, the plane has made an emergency landing in Schenectady and six men in yellow phosphorescent coats are cutting the toilet with an acetylene torch. They lift him out, the seat still stuck to him, and right here, as he's being carried to a gurney, his luck runs out.

A passenger shoots a video with a cellphone and that is the image that makes its way around the world via the Internet. Everybody and his cousin sees it, what appears to be a Parker House roll on a plate with arms and legs.

An economist should not get stuck in a toilet seat. That is a basic unspoken rule of life. And so ECONOMIST IN TOILET is the headline in the Enquirer, and so a promising career is cut short and poor Murphy must go into exile and teach accounting courses at a secretarial school in Costa Rica.

People do what they are told not to do. It happens time and time again. Here on the frozen tundra, it is known as the Tongue On The Frozen Pump Handle principle. If you put your tongue on a pump handle on a bitter cold winter day, the tongue will freeze to the handle and you will stand there, helpless, unable to cry out for help.

Not that it would do much good - most pump handles these days are in remote rural areas. We've all been warned against doing this and yet we all know that eventually we will do it someday. Somewhere there is a pump handle waiting for me.

I've always expected tragedy to strike around Christmas. A joyful season and all ye faithful have come and then, yikes! You flushed the toilet while sitting on it and your life will never be the same.

Garrison Keillor's latest Lake Wobegon novel is "Liberty." Distributed by Tribune Media Services.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2009, 09:57:25 pm »
I haven't used one since getting locked in one several years ago. Somehow the locked jammed and the door wouldn't open back up. It was a real big to do, with lots of people standing on the other side trying to figure out how to take the lock off, or flip it back up, whatever. ::)

And you and your shy bladder too, David.......OMG.........but its hard to not laugh..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2009, 09:59:48 pm »

:laugh:      :laugh:      :laugh:      :laugh:      :laugh:      :laugh:     :laugh:       :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2009, 10:00:46 pm »
And I tend to agree with Garrison Keilor........tell someoe NOT to do it, then its an open invitation to do it.....
That article is pretty funny.

And......I was surprised to hear they have such a sign, (as Ive never been in an airplane toilet).......So I was right.....you can get your arse sucked out.....I KNEW IT...... ::)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2009, 10:00:58 pm »
And you and your shy bladder too, David.......OMG.........but its hard to not laugh..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know it! It's kind of funny now, but it sure wasn't then. And I had to sit down to pee too, because of all the turbulence. Thank God I didn't flush the toilet while I was sitting on it! :laugh:

Thanks for posting that article Katherine. I'm assuming it is sattire. Correct?

Offline Katie77

« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2009, 10:03:47 pm »
I know it! It's kind of funny now, but it sure wasn't then. And I had to sit down to pee too, because of all the turbulence. Thank God I didn't flush the toilet while I was sitting on it! :laugh:

Thanks for posting that article Katherine. I'm assuming it is sattire. Correct?

And just for professional and phycological analysis........was that BEFORE or AFTER your bladder got shy???

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2009, 10:06:09 pm »
Popular Urban Legends About Travel

An airline passenger goes into an airplane bathroom, sits down on the toilet, flushes it, and the toilet's suction keeps him/her stuck tightly to the toilet seat.

The Airplane Toilet Seat

This tall tale came from an actual 2002 Reuters news story that claimed a female passenger had filed a complaint about the bathroom onboard a Scandinavian Airlines flight. In truth, the "story" came from a real-life training exercise for airline staff. There was no actual passenger stuck on a toilet seat.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2009, 10:09:24 pm »
Popular Urban Legends About Travel

An airline passenger goes into an airplane bathroom, sits down on the toilet, flushes it, and the toilet's suction keeps him/her stuck tightly to the toilet seat.

The Airplane Toilet Seat

This tall tale came from an actual 2002 Reuters news story that claimed a female passenger had filed a complaint about the bathroom onboard a Scandinavian Airlines flight. In truth, the "story" came from a real-life training exercise for airline staff. There was no actual passenger stuck on a toilet seat.

Phooey........I still wouldnt risk it......would you??....(behind (excuse the pun) every urban legend or rumour, there is always a bit of truth)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2009, 10:15:32 pm »
And just for professional and phycological analysis........was that BEFORE or AFTER your bladder got shy???

That was after! After after! I've had a shy bladder ever since I was a kid. I'm not sure what caused it. Maybe I was born with it. :-\

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2009, 10:16:59 pm »
Phooey........I still wouldnt risk it......would you??....(behind (excuse the pun) every urban legend or rumour, there is always a bit of truth)

I wouldn't want to risk it either. I wouldn't want to tempt fate. Something weird could go wrong.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2009, 10:21:32 pm »
Phooey........I still wouldnt risk it......would you??....

hell no!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2009, 10:37:30 pm »

It does have a ring (groan!) of truth to it. Every now and then, there are stories in the media, here in Australia (you'll be able to attest to this, Sue) about small children being disemboweled when they sit on the filter in their backyard swimming pool. Haven't heard about any such incidents for some years now. The manufacturers have probably put mesh covers of them. At one time there, not a summer would go by without the story emerging of a toddler being killed in this dreadfully gruesome manner.  :(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2009, 10:51:27 pm »
It does have a ring (groan!) of truth to it. Every now and then, there are stories in the media, here in Australia (you'll be able to attest to this, Sue) about small children being disemboweled when they sit on the filter in their backyard swimming pool. Haven't heard about any such incidents for some years now. The manufacturers have probably put mesh covers of them. At one time there, not a summer would go by without the story emerging of a toddler being killed in this dreadfully gruesome manner.  :(

Yes Kerry, I was gonna mention that myself here.

I would assume that all swimming pools are now fitted with filters that do not allow this to happen.

It was the round hole on the swimming pool edge, where the skimmer basket is, and where people can connect the vaccuum for the pool. They are fitted with lids now, but the lid is still easy to take off, but maybe not by a little one. There is still a hell of a lot of suction there. I think little ones used to think it was a potty, somewhere to do a pee.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2009, 10:58:49 pm »
That is horrible! Do you think it ever really happened? Or is it an urband legend?

I fell for one of those urban legends just the other day.

But something like that COULD happen if the suction was far too strong. Let's hope it never happened.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2009, 12:18:12 am »
I try not to use the toilets on planes - simply because I'm usually too terrified and drugged to get up from my seat.  I made it from Texas to Canada and Toronto to London without a potty break.  But non-stop Texas to Paris, France, I couldn't hold my water and finally had to give in to the demands of my bladder.  I made it back though non-stop without a pee-break.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2009, 01:17:03 am »
That is horrible! Do you think it ever really happened? Or is it an urband legend?

I fell for one of those urban legends just the other day.

But something like that COULD happen if the suction was far too strong. Let's hope it never happened.

Alas, the stories about toddlers being disemboweled in backyard swimming pools are very definitely and sadly true, David. They are not urban myths. There were quite a few such deaths here in Australia some years ago. Reported widely in the legitimate media. Haven't heard of such an incident for some years now, I presume because the filter manufacturers have rectified the problem.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2009, 01:20:02 am »
Alas, the stories about toddlers being disemboweled in backyard swimming pools are very definitely and sadly true, David. They are not urban myths. There were quite a few such deaths here in Australia some years ago. Reported widely in the legitimate media. Haven't heard of such an incident for some years now, I presume because the filter manufacturers have rectified the problem.

They haven't. A little girl died here in Minnesota last year after being disemboweled in a public pool.

Unbelievable, considering the problem has happened a number of times. You would think that manufacturers would realize there's a problem and fix it. But they haven't.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2009, 01:20:54 am »

I'm so glad they fixed the problem Kerry. That's really terrible. :(

I've never heard about that happening up here, but I suppose it has. That is a terrible thing to happen, especially for a child. :'(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2009, 01:23:45 am »
They haven't. A little girl died here in Minnesota last year after being disemboweled in a public pool.

Unbelievable, considering the problem has happened a number of times. You would think that manufacturers would realize there's a problem and fix it. But they haven't.

My God Katherine! I haven't heard about it happening in Indiana, but lots of people have in ground swimming pools here. I wish they would fix the problem like they did in Australia. Something like that shouldn't be allowed to happen. They should recall those filter vents and fix them. >:(

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2009, 01:31:18 am »

Oh gads David.  That was hysterical...sorry.  I needed that today.  Dont mean to make fun at your expense, but I promise to
trade you the favor some time...      :laugh:      :laugh:       :laugh:

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2009, 01:33:56 am »

Oh gads David.  That was hysterical...sorry.  I needed that today.  Dont mean to make fun at your expense, but I promise to
trade you the favor some time...      :laugh:      :laugh:       :laugh:

>:( >:(

;)  :D  :-*

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2009, 12:56:50 pm »
Swimming Pool Safety Deadline Approaching

By federal law all public swimming pools and hot tubs must shut down after Friday if they don't have new, safer, drain covers installed.

The new requirements involve what are known as "anti-drowning covers" that are designed to keep people from getting sucked onto drains and held under water. "It's kind of putting the cart before the horse."

Congress passed a law last year requiring new drain covers on public swimming pools and hot tubs. The legislation stems from an incident in which a six-year-old, Minnesota child was partially disemboweled when she sat on a wading pool drain. The child died last March, three months after Congress passed the law.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28299024/

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2009, 01:40:23 pm »
Good news, if belated. Thanks for the update, Chuck.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2009, 05:24:21 pm »
Thats good to see Chucky.

Yes there used to be a problem with hot tubs too.......suction drains at the bottom of the tub.

There was an incident here, I remember, when a young girl with long hair, went under the water in a hot tub, and her hair got sucked into the drain and she was unable to pull herself free, and drowned.......terrible terrible terrible.....

We have had laws about hot tubs here  for quite a while.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2009, 05:28:11 pm »
Don't like hot tubs. Feel like I'm bein' boiled alive when I get into one.  :(

Just add diced carrots and potatoes!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2009, 05:53:17 pm »

We call them "spas" here, they are the same thing, but over here in Oz, we usually have the water on cool temperature.

We have one, and we use it at least once or twice a day in summer. Very refreshing.......and stimulating.......

injest

« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2009, 11:40:04 am »

yes, there have been several stories here too. there was a girl killed in Dallas when her HAIR got caught in one..

the suction is so strong that even adults pulling on the children can't pull them off.

injest

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2009, 11:41:23 am »

like one of those old cannibal cartoons!

injest

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2009, 11:42:08 am »
We call them "spas" here, they are the same thing, but over here in Oz, we usually have the water on cool temperature.

We have one, and we use it at least once or twice a day in summer. Very refreshing.......and stimulating.......

Do tell!!

and provide any pictures you might have...

;D ;D

injest

« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2009, 11:50:24 am »
ok we do all our traveling by car...here is MY pet peeve.

People that won't stop. You know SOME people need to use the bathroom every now and again! My husband has a bladder the size of a watermelon, apparently.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2009, 11:56:02 am »
9quoted)By federal law all public swimming pools and hot tubs must shut down after Friday if they don't have new, safer, drain covers installed.

The new requirements involve what are known as "anti-drowning covers" that are designed to keep people from getting sucked onto drains and held under water. "It's kind of putting the cart before the horse."

Incredible!  We had a swimming pool when I was a kid, and my mom was always warning us to stay away from the drain. It must have been effective -- as I recall, I thought of the drain as kind of like that giant squid in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea living at the bottom of the deep end.

But what's incredible is that legislation about this is going on just now -- I'm talking about 50 years ago! 

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2009, 12:12:17 pm »
This isn't an annoyance, but a fun anecdote I wanted to share.  Once when travellng with a friend, we picked up some hippie hitchhiker types...three guys and two dogs and a guitar.  It was a fun ride.  Although their personal hygiene could have been better, they gifted me with a cardboard sign adorned with a dried flower that read "Go to Heaven".  Every time I see it in my rearview mirror, it makes me smile.

As a rule I doubt I would pick up hitchhikers if I were alone; sadly, it is not always safe to be kind.  However, I have no regrets because this generated a week minimum of positive energy in my life.

:D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Katie77

« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2009, 06:16:28 pm »
I was waiting for a flight last week (and every week since Jan 1, by the by!) when a man removed his flip flops and proceded to clip his toe nails right there in the lounge area. It was obvious to me that others were as deeply annoyed as I was.

It causes me to wonder 'do people like that simply have no clue or are they just utterly inconsiderate?'

UGH......*vomit vomit*......people like that are just oblivious to to life around them, and are just plain dirty.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2009, 07:19:37 pm »
true enough. You could tell that everyone in the boarding area was praying this pig was not sitting next to them.  :P

look at it this way, he probably stank less with the toe nails clipped, than unclipped. I always travel with antibacterial towelletes to wipe down surfaces. I would have probably forced a smile : offered him some of my towellets, a Listerine slip for the undoubted toxic breath, and a cup of coffee so he would eventually get up and go pee.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2009, 01:34:08 am »

There are certain vacuous individuals who deliberately go out of their way to provoke an adverse reaction from others. That's their aim. It's how they get their jollies. They want to see you react with disgust. In my experience, the best way to confront such morons is to simply ignore them. If they're getting no reaction from you, they'll soon tire of you and go looking for new sport elsewhere.  :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2009, 07:13:58 pm »
I was waiting for a flight last week (and every week since Jan 1, by the by!) when a man removed his flip flops and proceded to clip his toe nails right there in the lounge area. It was obvious to me that others were as deeply annoyed as I was.

It causes me to wonder 'do people like that simply have no clue or are they just utterly inconsiderate?'

Oh my.....that's a first, but I'm not shocked by it.

I remember one time I was AT WORK in the bank, and needed to see one of the lenders.  His office door was opened, so I walked in. 

I stepped into his office to find his bare feet on his desk, and he was clipping and cleaning his toenails.

:o

I gave him his paperwork, and walked out as quickly as I could.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2009, 07:42:17 pm »

Oh my.....that's a first, but I'm not shocked by it.

I remember one time I was AT WORK in the bank, and needed to see one of the lenders.  His office door was opened, so I walked in. 

I stepped into his office to find his bare feet on his desk, and he was clipping and cleaning his toenails.

:o

I gave him his paperwork, and walked out as quickly as I could.

I would have had a difficult time erasing that vision from my mind. Did you manage to keep your dinner down that night? :P

People are a TRIP, aren't they?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2009, 08:01:54 pm »
I would have had a difficult time erasing that vision from my mind. Did you manage to keep your dinner down that night? :P

What's so nauseating about clipping one's toenails?

Now, if he'd been chewing his toenails. ...  :P  :-X
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline optom3

« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2009, 08:41:16 pm »
Off topic a bit, but when I worked as a clinical chemist, I was running the diabetic clinic one afternoon. The next patient blew his nose into his hand and then offered me the same hand to do the thumb prick on. GROSS I could not conceal my disgust and gave him several antiseptic wipes.

Actually I could start a whole thread on the gross things in hospital life.!!!

The poll, all annoy me, but seat recliners are the limit. I normally slide down in my seat and shove my knees into their back.If that does not work I slam the table up and down.Most normally get the drift.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2009, 10:37:21 pm »
I used to work in a medical transcriptionist office and they're an independent breed of folk ("They eat their young", another escapee of such an office told me).  They keep odd hours, walking in at any time of the day and night to work.

One obese lady - not quite sure what her home life was like, if she even had one, rumor had it she was living in her car inbetween working two jobs - usually got very warm while working.  Especially after hours when the building cut the air off.  She would turn a fan on and sit there in her underwear and work.

Not a pretty sight.  :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2009, 10:53:36 pm »
What's so nauseating about clipping one's toenails?

Now, if he'd been chewing his toenails. ...  :P  :-X

Yeah, but he was cleaning them too! Yuck! :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2009, 10:56:33 pm »
Off topic a bit, but when I worked as a clinical chemist, I was running the diabetic clinic one afternoon. The next patient blew his nose into his hand and then offered me the same hand to do the thumb prick on. GROSS I could not conceal my disgust and gave him several antiseptic wipes.

Actually I could start a whole thread on the gross things in hospital life.!!!

The poll, all annoy me, but seat recliners are the limit. I normally slide down in my seat and shove my knees into their back.If that does not work I slam the table up and down.Most normally get the drift.

Ewww, he blew is nose into his hand? That is really nasty! I think I should stop reading this thread. I feel like I'm about to heave. :laugh:

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2009, 01:54:37 am »

This thread has turned into:  how gross can people get, or be.  SO DISGUSTING.  Each one worse than the last.

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2009, 02:44:39 am »

This thread has turned into:  how gross can people get, or be.  SO DISGUSTING.  Each one worse than the last.

And yet it remains funny! :laugh:

I can't stay away from it. Every time someone posts in here I look! :D

Offline optom3

« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2009, 09:09:26 am »
And yet it remains funny! :laugh:

I can't stay away from it. Every time someone posts in here I look! :D

Ditto !! It's a bit like trying not to rubber neck by as you drive past a car crash.

A long tme ago when I was working in the hospital lab. we had to do a test every Friday called a faecal fat. I will spare you the details but it was done on a 3 day collection.

The most junior person in the lab had to do it and it was gross, even in the fume cupboard. One week the new lad in the lab found it was his turn. We had all learned at Uni. that long,long ago they used to test for diabetes by sticking a fnger in urine and if it was sweet, the px was diabetic.
 The previous night, one of the samples had been substited with  chocolate , partly melted and gravy mix.Pretty realistic.

The folowing morning the guy demonstrating the test, reminded the unsuspecting lad of the old diabetes test and proceeded to dmonstrate with the dummy sample what was required of the fat test.
 Exclaiming out loud, high leverl triglycerides, LDL and HDL within rasonable parameters, the next thing the boy had fainted. I laughed so much my sides hurt.

He moved into cytology not long after.

I could do a whole section on hospital life. I think being surrounded by sick and dying humans, often working at night  etc brings out the sick, macabre in some people, it is a sort of protection barrier. Many people became terrible hypochondriacs, often doing as many tests on themselves as others, myself included.

This post can be moved or deleted if it is too offensive, my sense of humour radar is set pretty low.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2009, 10:13:22 am »
The poll appears to be closed, but I would have voted "other" --

It seems like anytime I've traveled anywhere by air, there's always someone dragging a piece of carry-on luggage the size of an oldtime steamer trunk, and if airlines have any rules about the size you take on, they apparently don't enforce them. At least half the time, this traveler is neither in the back of the plane nor the front, but right in the middle, where they can stop, root through the overhead compartments and then call "CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME GET THIS UP HERE?"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2009, 01:52:43 pm »
Here's an irony. Oftentimes when you go to a restaurant that has large portions (such as a buffet) you're given tiny little plates to put the food on, whereas when you go to a fine restaurant with high prices, they present you with a dish as big as a serving platter, with a few small pieces of food artfully arranged in the middle. Strange.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2009, 02:14:48 pm »
Here's an irony. Oftentimes when you go to a restaurant that has large portions (such as a buffet) you're given tiny little plates to put the food on, whereas when you go to a fine restaurant with high prices, they present you with a dish as big as a serving platter, with a few small pieces of food artfully arranged in the middle. Strange.

:laugh:  Very astute observation, FRiend Lee!  :D