Author Topic: Ten favorite screen kisses from a 'Brokeback' detractor  (Read 3363 times)

moremojo

Ten favorite screen kisses from a 'Brokeback' detractor
« on: July 07, 2006, 07:56:45 pm »
This might be of some interest to some folks around here. A film critic who I respect and admire very much as a critic and writer, by the name of David Ehrenstein, unfortunately has expressed nothing but distaste for Brokeback Mountain; he even trivialized the literary quality of Annie Proulx's original story. So there's no secret here that Mr. Ehrenstein was not moved in any way by the extraordinary kisses we see between Jack and Ennis on the screen.

Mr. Ehrenstein is an active member of an online discussion group devoted to discourse on film from an auteurist perspective, called A_Film_By, whose message boards are accessible to non-members as well. This last June 16th, Ehrenstein  responded to a fellow member's invitation to cite one's ten favorite screen kisses from old films. I found his list quite interesting, and others might enjoy seeing it as well. I copy it here as it appears in Mr. Ehrenstein's original post (note: The discussion group in which this post appears can be accessed at the following URL: http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/a_film_by/):

'1. Alain Delon and Alain Delon in "Plein Soleil"

2. Luke and Harry Treadaway in "Brothers of the Head"

3. Peter Finch and Murray Head in "Sunday Bloody Sunday"

4. Allen Midgette and Dingham in "****(Four Stars)"

5. Tom Dillow and (unidentified) in "Amphetamine"

6. James Stewart and Kim Novak in "Vertigo"

7. Adriana Asti and the actor who played the younger brother in the last scene of "Before the Revolution"

8. Jane Birkin and Marushka Detmers in "La Pirate."

9. Rupert Everett and Carey Elwes in "Another Country."

10. Steven Waddington and Andrew Tiernan in "Edward II."'

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:16:39 pm by moremojo »

moremojo

Re: Ten favorite screen kisses from a 'Brokeback' detractor
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 11:36:53 am »
He is a film critic and is too lazy to find out the names of the actors he cites as his favorites??? hmmmmm....

shades of 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back'
I believe that "Amphetamine", by the late Warren Sonbert, might be described as a lyrical/personal documentary, and I'm not sure that even the filmmaker knew the identity of the person he caught kissing Tom Dillow. As for the actor playing the younger brother in "Before the Revolution", he is listed on the IMDb, but Ehrenstein in his haste to post his list probably didn't want to take the time to look him up (I can't remember his name off the top of my head myself).

As for my own favorite screen kisses, I can think of three right now:

Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain
Magdalena Montezuma and Annette Tirier in Der Tod der Maria Malibran
May Irwin and John C. Rice in The Kiss

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:17:32 pm by moremojo »

mvansand76

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 12:22:53 pm »
Good God, that critic doesn't know what he is talking about!

My favorites:

Brokeback Mountain - Jack and Ennis (second tent scene)
Brief Encounter - Alec and Laura
Cinema Paradiso - Maria and Salvatore

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 01:04:13 pm »
9. Rupert Everett and Carey Elwes in "Another Country."

in which scene was their a kiss between the two. I don't quite remember them ever kissing. The most likely scene would be when they met at the boats, but if I remember correctly, they simply embraced, but didn't kiss. or am I wrong in my recollection?
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

vkm91941

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 01:36:41 pm »
My favorite killer kisses

:o Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, first kiss in TS2 & reunion kiss in Brokeback Mountain
 :o Clarke Gable and Vivien Leigh kiss after the burning of Atlanta in Gone with the Wind
 :o Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed on the phone in It’s a Wonderful Life
 :o Linus Roach and Robert Carlyle on the beach  in Priest
 :o Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maguire's upside down kiss in spiderman one ( althougth I can’t stand her usually)
 :o Brad Pitt and Claire Forlani ( that whole sex scene actaully, very tender) in Meet Joe Black

moremojo

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 04:37:57 pm »
in which scene was their a kiss between the two. I don't quite remember them ever kissing. The most likely scene would be when they met at the boats, but if I remember correctly, they simply embraced, but didn't kiss. or am I wrong in my recollection?
I only remember a rather chaste kiss on the forehead that Everett gives Elwes in the boat--I can't recall any kissing on the mouth. Now, it has been some twenty years or so since I saw this movie on cable TV, so I wouldn't swear to this. But I certainly can't think of anything as sensual between those two actors there as can be seen between Heath and Jake in BbM--so go figure Ehrenstein's taste on that score.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 07:19:03 pm »
I haven't seen a lot of the other kisses people have mentioned, but IMO of the ones I've seen none comes remotely close to the two best ones in BBM. (Am I spoiled, ya think?)

However, on Saturday I finally saw Jesus is Magic, Sarah Silverman's movie. Her kissing herself in the mirror would rank pretty high on my list of favorite screen kisses. Hilarious.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 07:21:23 pm by latjoreme »