Author Topic: Dining Out - Pleasurable or Painful?  (Read 38828 times)

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Dining Out - Pleasurable or Painful?
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 05:24:39 am »
I love it!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

. If only I could have said that when I was growing up and faced with a plate of carrots and swede mashed together.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 10:15:27 am »
I had to look up "swede":  in American, it's rutabaga.  Yum. 

Offline ZK

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 06:14:19 pm »
I had to look up "swede":  in American, it's rutabaga.  Yum. 
I have never heard of it being called rutabaga before and you are welcome to have my portion  ;)

I started seeing a chef for a while late last year and I went to his place for dinner and he had prepared a dish made largely of rutabage. As he was serving it up, he asked if I like swede, *gulp* yep I replied with a slight tremor in my voice. I almost passed out during the meal  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 06:26:02 pm »
Maybe we should rename this thread Dining IN - Pleasurable or Painful? Why, didn't you know, Matt, that rutabaga is a legendary aphrodesiac? When you almost passed out, did the chef carry you to the bed and fanned/massaged you to revive you? Did he have to apply mouth to mouth resucitation? No, you don't have to answer...I'm just funning with you!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 06:37:59 pm »
Maybe we should rename this thread Dining IN - Pleasurable or Painful? Why, didn't you know, Matt, that rutabaga is a legendary aphrodesiac? When you almost passed out, did the chef carry you to the bed and fanned/massaged you to revive you? Did he have to apply mouth to mouth resucitation? No, you don't have to answer...I'm just funning with you!!

:laugh:

Have you ever noticed how nearly EVERYTHING that tastes bad is an aphrodesiac? If it tastes terrible it will improve your love life, although I really don't have a problem with rutabaga. ;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ZK

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 07:50:36 pm »

No I did not know it was an aphrodesiac! As to what happend after the meal, I take the 5th ;D

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 08:07:59 pm »
I guess I must be lucky, I don't remember having the issues that some of you have had.

One thing that will make me leave a joint is if I see a bug somewhere.

Ewwwwwwh.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 08:13:43 pm »
:laugh:

Have you ever noticed how nearly EVERYTHING that tastes bad is an aphrodesiac? If it tastes terrible it will improve your love life, although I really don't have a problem with rutabaga. ;)

Ain't that the truth, David. Take oysters for instance. Yetch!  :P

I too like swedes (That's what we call them in Oz. Never heard the word "rutabaga" before). My Mum used to make a wonderful vegetable soup with lots of yummy ingredients like swede, parsnip, carrot, onion, potato, peas, string beans, cabbage and barley in it. It was delicious. I think I've got Mum's recipe somewhere. I might make up a batch next winter. Mum always made it in the wintertime.   :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 08:37:19 pm »
I guess I must be lucky, I don't remember having the issues that some of you have had.

One thing that will make me leave a joint is if I see a bug somewhere.

Ewwwwwwh.

There's a cafe near my place of work. I used to go there a lot and I introduced lots of new custom to them over the years. They made the best, to-die-for lasagne in town and had a scrummy selection of fabbo salads to choose from.

I was having lunch there on this particular occasion with a work colleague. I'd ordered my usual lasagne with Greek salad. We were half way through our lunch when I noticed something alien in my salad. It was just a tiny speck but had unmistakably once had a heart-beat!

Because I'd eaten there so many times before and knew how squeaky clean the proprietors were, I didn't make a big fuss about it. Needless to say, I didn't eat any more salad but I did finish my lasagne. I also didn't want to distress my companion, and put her off her lunch. I made sure the little critter was out of sight. It was just a tiny speck.

After the meal, I collected our plates and took them to the counter, telling my friend that I would order coffee in the process.

The proprietors knew me very well. We weren't buddies exactly, but I had been eating lunch there for years (not every day, but certainly a couple of times each month). I showed them the bug (a husband and wife Greek couple run the place) and they hit the roof. They were angry . . . at ME! The man denied it being a bug (it did look a bit like a speck of salad herb) until I said, "It's got legs!" At which point he begrudgedly offered me the coffee for free.

I haven't been back. Their loss. There are lots of other restaurants and cafes around St Leonards and Crows Nest, where I work.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:13:03 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 08:42:03 pm »
Did they ever air the Green Acres series in Australia, Kerry? They were always talking about rutabagas on that show. I think Oliver and Lisa were obsessed with them. :-\

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.